Motor temp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

BobP

RCNT Addict
Supporter
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
if you can't hold it for more than 3 seconds it's time to cool down. I use a air bed blower to cool down between races.

James nichols

RCNT Basher
Unfortunately I'd have to use private areas to do that lol. I've got a bunch of nerve damage throughout my body and don't have feeling so that method wont work. I use a temp gun to judge heat so om looking for actual temperatures

BobP

RCNT Addict
Supporter
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing
The ESC should shut down at around 200 so a safe temp would be below that if I used a temp gun I'd shutdown at 165 for elec. If your running hot you may consider dropping 2 teeth in your pinion gear. and please for all involved DON'T use private parts on the track;)

Arrmajunk

RCNT Racer
What is safe motor temp? When should I let it cool before running again?
I’ve got a temp checker I used for nitro rc, I think around 60•c is about the highest you want to be at you could try Gearing down May help ? I've just procured a Losi scbe last time I bought and sold it it had the dynamite fuse motor which got hot. I bought this as a roller and shoved a surpass hobby 4300, but it whipping the Arse out of the battery run time running 16t pinion I gone down to 14t it seems to running a bit longer. And cooler .

The RC Car

RCNT Talkaholic
RC Driving Style
Bashing
If you're talking about the motor, 160 is safe. Fans are available to mount to many trucks.
But make sure it doesn't slide down and start rubbing against your center driveshaft, that'll scratch it up and make it overheat faster. It happened to me

olds97_lss

RCNT VIP
Supporter
RC Driving Style
Bashing
I think 180F is the upper limit and you don't want to be there long as it damages the magnets. I have mine geared and with fans to stay below 160F most of the time even when it's 80F outside and I'm running it hard. I use a temp gun to keep an eye on them.

I got one of these not to long ago as the one I have been using is 15+ years old that I got from Radio Shack for $60.
https://www.rcjuice.com/tools-accessories/accessories/hobbystar-ht-101-infrared-thermometer.html

The old one I have:

James nichols

RCNT Basher
I also use a temp gun. I read it after every battery to gauge where it's at. At about 150 I start watching it closely. At 165-170 I shut it down for a bit to cool off

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Motor temp Short Course Trucks 2
1 my way around a high temp 2.5 motor Traxxas T-Maxx 17
hulkmaxx Safe Motor temp?? Scale RC 11
N Question about motor temp's Nitro RC 7
h8z2luze Motor temp Short Course Trucks 8
S What Temp is your motor running at ? Nitro RC 7
W Revo Motor Temp Traxxas Revo 8
NurturantQuasar Would Arrma senton 3200 kv motor heatsink fit on traxxas velineon Short Course Trucks 1
Yankeedoodle30 Do shorter electrical connections from the motor to the ESC improve performance? Electric RC 16
Ericke1 Help with Brushless Motor and Pinion Gear Electric RC 11
Peeeenuuutt E revo finally ate up a workhorse hobbystar motor Electric RC 10
MissT Drift car motor and esc recommendations? Electric RC 3
L I have to design a super fast with low kv motor and a nimh 8.v battery! help please! Electric RC 5
Kamina724 So my motor controller lit on fire Electric RC 11
NurturantQuasar What does the top esc pin do on the wp 1040 brushed motor? Electric RC 5
Tg1671 Team associated rc18b2 motor 5000v reedy is short looking for a replacement Engines 0
NurturantQuasar Ways to reduce dirt getting into traxxas 12 turn brushed motor Electric RC 2
M Lipo frying motor? Electric RC 3
F Odd question, but which truck for this motor Electric RC 8
NurturantQuasar How much would cutting a hole in my slash 4x4 body reduce motor and esc temps? Short Course Trucks 3
K Dromida Bx4 1/8 motor Electric RC 1
NurturantQuasar Is the a castle motor and esc that fits in a Losi mini sct? Electric RC 1
NurturantQuasar Castle side winder 4 esc and 4600kv castle motor. Which car should I put it in? Electric RC 2
W Newbie advice on cooling RC motor Electric RC 15
NurturantQuasar How do I keep motor fan and heat sink in place? Electric RC 8
NurturantQuasar What’s your guys opinion on this motor and esc combo I found. would it be any good? Electric RC 5
T Invictus 10MT - Motor Dead Electric RC 4
the king of the undead what is a good motor/motor brand? Electric RC 6
NurturantQuasar Is there a cheaper esc that works with the traxxas Velineon motor running 3s? Electric RC 1
J Help. Need HPI motor mount 86000. Nitro RC 0
NurturantQuasar Can I run a 2 cell LIPO on a brushed motor 1/24 scale Losi micro sct? Electric RC 4
R Kyosho rage 2.0 motor upgrade Electric RC 2
RookieNumberss Good brushless motor that gives more speed than velineon 3500? Electric RC 21
pa_fullsend Team associated reflex 14 motor choices Mini & Micro RC 0
Randomaker Which motor for homemade RC? Electronics 4
Thepitstarman Proline pro mt 4x4 motor mount inserts Monster Trucks 2
Emery Hall Arrma outcast 4s motor going but wheels not going Arrma RC 5
Thepitstarman Stampede 4x4 3800kv castle motor Monster Trucks 7
M Need Expert Advise for electric motor Electric RC 0
Bluetickduke Mgt 8.0 replacement motor? Help! Nitro RC 64
Berto Blitzer Beetle, need motor and esc advice please Electric RC 5
F Nitro motor stuck RC Aircraft 0
The RC Car Best affordable motor for Tekno SCT410.3? Electric RC 8
E Good ESC for 13t brushed motor Electronics 1
The RC Car Motor question! Electric RC 0
The RC Car Castle Sidewinder SV3 motor and ESC question Electric RC 22
R Rc car motor has power but the motor not spinning Electric RC 3
The RC Car Motor upgrade! Electric RC 4
E New motor for ECX Ruckus Engines 2
The RC Car $400 HPI Baja 5b and $190 Losi SCTE with 3800 castle motor Nitro RC 9