motor options for trophy truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawbrett

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey y'all...i have a 4.6 trophy truggy and was wondering what options i have for direct drop in replacement. i dont know alot about the big blocks out there. it has the original 4.6 hpi motor. i just want to get another .28 motor that will bolt right up to the factory motor mount. how about the picco .28 or the lrp z.28? those are the ones I'm interested in. occasionally take it to local track but mostly just bash with it. thanks in advance for the replys.:)

wow...nobody has any thoughts or ideas. only reason i posted here is because I'm new at this sport, and new to this forum, and dont want to drop $200 or $300 on a motor that wont work. I've searched the other threads on trophy 4.6 and didnt see anything that awnsered my questions.

What exactly are you after, more power? If so then talk to Robin from extreme RC mods you can find him on his website or in the vendor section of this forum. He can tell you what the best motor is and can mod it for you for even more power. Personally if I was gonna get something badass Id probably be looking at a Picco or Novarossi and have Robin mod it.

The stock Engine is huge and a 4.6 or .28 CC engine that produces about 2.5 horse power.

Now since I just bought one of these my first thought was to replace the cheesy Steering Servo with a higher torque metal geared servo for better steering control. I purchased a Hitec HS-645MG 130 OZ steering servo.

Than I looked at the Battery Pack I like to have a rechargable battery pack that lasts a very long time and purchased a Team Orion NiMH 1700 Mah battery pack. Did a little soldering work and hung a charge lead out of the battery box. So I will never have to open the battery box again for years.

Never even thought about replacing the engine yet. Why you ask the stock engine will last many gallons of fuel with proper care. Years of abuse and then when it wears out I will look at getting a new engine :)

If you want something that will have really good steering and last for many years then read into this :)

Last edited:
Any of the LRP series engines should drop right in. They make a great basher engine.

I started a tread about the HPI TROPHY TRUGGY and the LRP.28..If you plan on putting this engine in you will have to mod the engine mount a little.Checkout the tread and if you have any questions,just I'm me.

Back