Motor break in/ Savage breaking Carnage PICS!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Looks real nice the day i got it! I spun the carb around and the HSN so i could hook up the lines.

IMG_0664.jpg

Notice my ghetto twist tie for an exhaust clamp :) works though ;)

IMG_0665.jpg

Also scrapped the head 2 times from doing a wheelie... that was before i blew my rearend......................................................................................... more pics will be posted tomorrow to show the gears i have destroyed!

ENJOY!

sweet soup that savvy up a little and youl be good i have that engine in my lst2 runs great

sweet soup that savvy up a little and youl be good i have that engine in my lst2 runs great

I have a pipe on it, and a HPI racing(vented) Clutch bell.... but apparently I'm going to need to hop up the diffs lol....well I'm hopeing its the diffs and not the tranny... but I'm not sure yet. It was clicking but now seems to be mainly front wheel drove, no more wheelies... strange though i spin the rear tires with my hands and they seem fine...

Looks good. But i would get a motorsaver air filter if i was you. You are missing one of the little foam elements from the one you have on there now. That is not good...

Looks good. But i would get a motorsaver air filter if i was you. You are missing one of the little foam elements from the one you have on there now. That is not good...

Yeah, i know. i have one on the way it should arrive tomorrow.

Its like i order parts and then break parts before i get the ones i just ordered so i get raped on shipping because i then need to order again and again lol!

Lol, it always works that way, or you will get your new parts and realize you need to replace something you can't run without, like an air filter, or you will get a new engine that the older parts can't handle so as soon as it's broken in and running strong you strip random gears or blow the foam in a tire...

-AxialLST

The diff outdrive bearings don't last long on a Savage. Buy a quality ABEC rated bearing to replace them with. 2 gallons is about all the time you can get from the stock HPI bearings, then they start to wobble and kill the ring and pinion gears.

Buy a quality ABEC rated bearing to replace them with. 2 gallons is about all the time you can get from the stock HPI bearings, then they start to wobble and kill the ring and pinion gears.

Any suggestions as to where to get these bearings? I usually just by FastEddies. My rear diff bearings blew out on me after right around 1-1.5 gallons of use and they where brand new HPI XL diffs/bearings. Luckily the ring/pinion didn't get chewed up much at all. I replaced them with FE's bearings.

Boca sells any bearing you want in any grade but be prepared to shell out some dough!
1.5 gallons ehhh??? Thatis the price you pay for having a strong mill. My modded STS .30 destroyed everything from bearings to dogbones, cups in under 2 gallons. it was horribly expensive to keep the drivetrain slop free.

Last edited:
Boca sells any bearing you want in any grade but be prepared to shell out some dough!
1.5 gallons ehhh??? Thatis the price you pay for having a strong mill. My modded STS .30 destroyed everything from bearings to dogbones, cups in under 2 gallons. it was horribly expensive to keep the drivetrain slop free.

Sry for no new pics i was busy yesterday! So what is needed to bullit proof this trucks drivetrain.... but kinda cheaply?

Well... "cheaply" is all a point of view. ;) You can either fix only what is broken with stock parts off ebay that you got cheaply, or you can try to make your rig better than stock and use some ebay parts when available to keep the bottom dollar down.

Usually the savage issues are diffs and center axles/cups.

For diffs, there are two ways I know of that help things last longer.
1) You can go CEN diffs, not sure of what all that entails, but it's basically taking some really beefy diffs and throwing them in, then dealing with a new gear ratio.

OR
2) I've had decent success (aside from the bearing blow out) running alloy diff cases with XL diffs (taken apart and replaced the outdrives for ones that fit in alloy cases) and properly shimmed ring/pinion mesh. The alloy cases don't allow flex you would get from plastic cases, so your gear mesh stays truer longer and can handle more pressure from a torquey engine without flexing.

You can get diff cases for around $35 a piece:
http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=234494_129&products_id=45365

I upgraded/rebuilt both of my diffs last winter to avoid having diff issues this season. I bought the truck used (traded for a buggy I wasn't using much) and it was a general modge podge of newbizm's that I spent the winter clearing up. In doing so, I ditched the diffs and replaced them with XL, changed the housings to alloy (from the link above), shimmed them nice, used new bearings, put 50K oil in them and installed XL brakes. Along with a few other things...

Anyway, all of that was done to save money and aggravation in the future, i.e. now! So, really the only issue I've had was that bearing blow out... and center diff cups wearing out quickly. Hopefully FE's bearings hold up better than HPI's.

Last edited:
Nice, well i dont want to put a bandaid on it. So I'm deffinitly going to upgrade. Its funny that i break something with this new engine and i only put 5-6 tanks through it so far so its not even fully broken in yet and had the power to screw something up.

Is there a easy way to pin point the problem before i rip the whole truck apart?

YAY you got your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo! :D:):D:hehe::first_place:
(sorry for late post)

i have to break in my engine today because i was busy for the whole week.
When i wasn't busy it was raining =:)angry::(

Anyways................................YAY!

after break i will try to get a vid of it and i will send it to you =p

YAY you got your engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo! :D:):D:hehe::first_place:
(sorry for late post)

i have to break in my engine today because i was busy for the whole week.
When i wasn't busy it was raining =:)angry::(

Anyways................................YAY!

after break i will try to get a vid of it and i will send it to you =p

Nice, yeah i broke in my engine, its not fully broke in it only has like 6 tanks, but its running strong, and it blow something up in the drivetrain lol.

lol kk =p gonna break in it right now for my break in it only says 3-4 tanks.

:D

These gears look fine, are these the ones i needed to check?

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Take off the 4 screws on the diff and look inside....you will find the problem lol.

Sry about the bad pics, but the gears look fine to me, i think it could be my tranny......

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

You can't tell by the pics but they look fine to me.

I didnt realize they slide out so easy, so here is a better pick of what looks to me like gears that are fine. :(

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

how do you do 10 tanks of break in??