More newbie questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadds

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm still pretty new to the hobby, owning just a T-Maxx now. A kit will be next purchase, so I'm looking for a radio.

My 1st question, why are most available radios 3-channel. Isn't the 3rd channel only used if you have reverse, or some other "extra" function? Any other reason I need a 3-channel?

Also...most of the decent radios I have looked at are all FM. Will an FM radio control an AM reciever is they are on the same Mhz? I'm asking this so I know if I could used my T-maxx with the stock AM receiever, with an aftermarket FM radio.

Thanks a lot!

Chad

FM radio's don't run on the same Mhz as AM. FM has 12 different frequencies and AM on 6.

You cannot mix AM and FM together...two different types of signal transmission. I think "Team 17" is confused on bands (27mHz, 75mHz), but you can't mix those either. I'm not really familiar with the Tmaxx, but if you don't have reverse, a 2 channel radio system will work fine. I recently upgraded my radio with the new Futaba 2PL (AM), and I love all the setting controls...it was cheap, too...

Originally posted by Russ Winn
You cannot mix AM and FM together...two different types of signal transmission. I think "Team 17" is confused on bands (27mHz, 75mHz), but you can't mix those either. I'm not really familiar with the Tmaxx, but if you don't have reverse, a 2 channel radio system will work fine. I recently upgraded my radio with the new Futaba 2PL (AM), and I love all the setting controls...it was cheap, too...

I don't see how my statement made it seem confusing. FM does not run on the same frequency as AM. Therefore u can't use a FM radio with an AM reciever and vice versa.

Team 17-
The way you worded your respose sounded like "band" - (meaning 27 or 75mHz)- you're right in the sense that they will not work together...I read the part about you saying 6 or 12 channels...that's where I got "band" from....You're also right by saying that AM and FM won't work together, however, it has nothing to do with frequency....AM means "amplitude modulation"...the command sent from the radio is based on varying signal strengths....FM means "frequency modulation"...the radio commands are sent on a changing wavelength....in any case, you're right on the equipment not working...hope this clears things up.

Now I understand what ur talking about. Yeah I can see how I worded it can be confusing.