monster truck for my son

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't think of a 1/10th scale in the range of $100 that I could recommend outside of good deal on a used truck. But 1/16th scale the Redcat Volcano trucks seem to be pretty popular. Parts are available here in the states. Don't know about over there though.

ETA: Lots of Chinese brands to choose from, but I know nothing about those.

Oh man! I forgot about the Volcano 16.

6 y/o is a bit young for a hobby-grade RC, my brother is only 9 and he only likes to drive it, he doesn’t fix it. You also realistically can‘t turn a monster truck into a buggy or car without spending ~$100. 1/10th scale is typically expensive, you should look into Team Associated Reflex series, there’s a monster truck (14MT), drift car or truck (14R), truggy (14T) and buggy (14B). I don’t have any experience with the Reflex platform, but I’m sure someone does.

Last edited:
I started at 7. Ran into curbs and myself, a couple times (alot)
This was a base slash 2wd xl5 (OBA mike jenkins model) (2015) on training mode
I broke a arm, a couple motors, and a spur gear, and I started breaking it when I put more power, and bashing it harder. So ideally, I might move to 8th scale bashers.

can that be change to a buggy if he wants too?
The Traxxas 1/10th BL-2s & VXL-3s platforms share a lot of parts, though it’d still take time and money to convert it. Now with Traxxas introducing the BL-2s system and fading out the brushed, it’ll be hard to find one for <$200, unless it’s used. 2WD is a lot less controllable, I’d suggest a 4WD SCT if he’s first starting out (Arrma Senton, Traxxas Slash 4X4, etc.).

6 is a tad young. hand eye skills are still developing buy a 2wd slash .parts are many can be made to resemble other classes. cheap easy to find ,remote has training mode.

I agree with the Stampede. $229. Its brushed, comes with a batt and charger. It even has lights and is fully upgradable. Traxxas has excellent customer service, and parts availability. Its 2wd, 1/10 scale and has training mode, think it's 50% power. Have fun. Merry Christmas. 🏁. Sorry too pricey though.

Last edited:
The Traxxas 1/10th BL-2s & VXL-3s platforms share a lot of parts, though it’d still take time and money to convert it. Now with Traxxas introducing the BL-2s system and fading out the brushed, it’ll be hard to find one for <$200, unless it’s used. 2WD is a lot less controllable, I’d suggest a 4WD SCT if he’s first starting out (Arrma Senton, Traxxas Slash 4X4, etc.).
cheers it is his first big car with abit more kick too it ,hes had rc since he was 2 .

Back