Modified eflite habu ss

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearviewh

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, Ed here and I am new to this forum.
I just finished installing an 8 channel smart reciever into my new eflite Habu ss 70mm edf. I did this so I could install flaperons and spoilerons and reverse thrust. . All went well on the bench and programming went off without a hitch. This plane was originally suppossed to work with 4s- 6s batteries and I bought a couple of new 4s 3700 50c batteries however on first flight attempt this morning, it did not have enough power( speed) to take off. I didn't have a 6s battery with me to try at the time but when I got home I tried one and did see a really large increase in power and edf speed. Anyway, did I change something that then required more power than the 4s, or did I mess something up??
Ed

Did you re-calibrate the ESC after replacing the RX?
No
I just installed the new receiver and programmed it through forward programming. I don't think anything came up about recalibrating the esc
No

I just installed the new receiver and programmed it through forward programming. I don't think anything came up about recalibrating the esc
It's the same avan smart esc that came with the plane

@clearviewh Welcome to the group, In my experience with rc planes, when a manufacturer says 4S to 6S batteries, they mean yes it will fly on 4S but it will be a dog, verses good performance on a 6S. Others may have different experiences, but that's been the norm for me. Same goes with the difference between 3S and 4S etc.

@clearviewh Welcome to the group, In my experience with rc planes, when a manufacturer says 4S to 6S batteries, they mean yes it will fly on 4S but it will be a dog, verses good performance on a 6S. Others may have different experiences, but that's been the norm for me. Same goes with the difference between 3S and 4S etc.
I agree, but it should take iff at least no?? Unless by installing a new receiver and programming new functions, I increased the power requirement, or I needed to do something else

Then you need to re-calibrate your ESC to the new RX. Right now your ESC has no idea as to the range limits of your throttle. You will also need to set your endpoints on all control surfaces, and verify there is no servo overtravel.

Then you need to re-calibrate your ESC to the new RX. Right now your ESC has no idea as to the range limits of your throttle. You will also need to set your endpoints on all control surfaces, and verify there is no servo overtravel.
I'll look into that thanks. I have already learned how to set the throttle points, I'll investigate the other stuff too with some videos on calibrating an esc. I would have thought though, that since it is the original esc and transmitter, those things would just be the same.

I would have thought though, that since it is the original esc and transmitter, those things would just be the same.
Nah, anytime you swap out a RX, you need to re-calibrate your ESC and all your endpoints. I've had to do it in a few of my own aircraft when switching to better radio gear.

Back