Mini Z racing.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I did it…
The reason is, I am a big fan of Mazda and the RX7 first gen cars, and I remember when they won the 24 hours of LeMans in 1991. So I was looking at the documentary about that race and remember seeing a 787 in the RENOWN lively. I checked on eBay and they are selling for 265 bucks. My favorite hobby shop has three of them for 180. Plus they already have a track set up. They have all the up grade parts and are racing tonight if I wanted to go. So I’m not going to go crazy just race it around the track when it’s to cold to go outside. Otherwise it’s a collectors item.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 96
If I could find someplace smooth enough to run one I'd probably get one. They have some kickass cars.

I think that there is actual tracks for those ,they use to be a big thing an some can be quite costly!..😎
I did it…
The reason is, I am a big fan of Mazda and the RX7 first gen cars, and I remember when they won the 24 hours of LeMans in 1991. So I was looking at the documentary about that race and remember seeing a 787 in the RENOWN lively. I checked on eBay and they are selling for 265 bucks. My favorite hobby shop has three of them for 180. Plus they already have a track set up. They have all the up grade parts and are racing tonight if I wanted to go. So I’m not going to go crazy just race it around the track when it’s to cold to go outside. Otherwise it’s a collectors item.

That was my favorite car to race in the Gran Turismo racing game ,its awesome!..👍😎

I think that there is actual tracks for those ,they use to be a big thing an some can be quite costly!..😎

That was my favorite car to race in the Gran Turismo racing game ,its awesome!..👍😎
Yeah, you can buy the tracks. Kyosho sells some. They are a tad spendy, but not bad.

That is fkn cool!! I want that sign in the background just saying!!

I was looking at the track. 325 bucks for the basic set. I have no room for it . They have it set up at the hobby shop. Actually racing tonight. But I’m not. To much to do. Thinking about this in winter or maybe a lunch time thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 40
Back when I was racing 1/32 slot cars, these super car classes were my favorites. Both the modern versions and vintage stuff.

I kinda look at these as slot cars. I grew up just after the slotcars fell out of the big popularly. These are about the same feel to me. And the hobby shop track is the bomb.

That thing looks amazing so realistic to id happily pay $200
I was looking for an on road option that won’t break the bank. And when I spotted the 787B is was very happy to buy it just to have on a shelf. The option of racing it is icing on the cake.
Crash and Bash Hobbies has two more at 180 each. And it’s a nice kit. Radio parts tools twenty cones to make a track with. All you need is batteries and probably race tires.

I want one ☝️
I live in the dirt but have plenty room to make a track. And you say slot cars are in the past. Let’s just say I have a old school real slot dragster. It’s not of a shelf queen no days but it’s the real deal from the 60s.
I could post pics and info if needed. It was the baddest of bad back in the day after real races illegal drags people lined up at there favorite gas stations and had slot drags. Run it till the fuel runs out type of poop.
Still to this day I have not fired it up but would love to at some point.
So what I will do take some pics and post up the dragster. It’s still to this day my favorite. Real history behind it and no expense spared to restore it. Let’s just say you will have hell of time to try find parts for it wait you can’t it’s hand built lol.

Last edited:
I want one ☝️
I live in the dirt but have plenty room to make a track. And you say slot cars are in the past. Let’s just say I have a old school real slot dragster. It’s not of a shelf queen no days but it’s the real deal from the 60s.
I could post pics and info if needed. It was the baddest of bad back in the day after real races illegal drags people lined up at there favorite gas stations and had slot drags. Run it till the fuel runs out type of poop.
Still to this day I have not fired it up but would love to at some point.
I would love to see some photos.

I’m sure there is mini z dragsters or 1/24 scale dragsters. That would be a great indoor activity. I guess the track would be 35 feet. But because the cars are so light and speed relatively low stopping is not a big deal. Stopping a 1/10 scale rigs five pounds going sixty plus miles per hour without damaging the body is tricky.

I was very careful when I said slotcars fell out of popularity. I know they are still going strong today. In the 1950 and up to the 60s slot cars had a huge following. Every hobby shop had big tracks and the whole thing seemed awesome. By the 1970s when I was a kid it was kinda going away. Not until the internet did I discover that people still did it. I also like teather cars and they still do that but not so much.

I posted up a thread on mine. It’s a teather slash slot.
Big block old airplane motor. It’s old school no lie but I’m sure if I were to fire her up she will run I’m just to scared. I know I would wreck it.
And this is 1/8 scale. Pretty big car couldent even think racing it back in that day. No brakes it’s all go till the fuel runs out that’s why it’s got a tiny bomber tank. Lol

Last edited:
I found this link to mini z parts. I’m only buying mini z stuff from the hobby shop not just to to help support them. But because they have everything and I have no idea what fits what. This is a page of all the body’s. Most of it is discontinued or out of stock. But at least the page has wheel base and platform information.

http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm

Going to need a parking spot for mini z race cars now… just sayin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 31
Back