Mini and brushless pro's only

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I need some input.

I have an 18mt and an FT18t right now. I also have 2 3S maxamps lipo's sitting on the shelf for them.
The T has a tekin mini rage esc and 6800kv motor installed. I was running it just fine on nimh batteries (fast, long runtime, runs cool) and then today i installed the lipo's and after about 2 minutes of running, my motor goes up in smoke. This is an all to familiar feeling since my 18b ate through 2 reedy motors and a mamba 25 esc in less than a month.

I can take care of the driveline so i'm not intrested in talking about that in this thread. What i DO want to discuss is my options as far as power goes.

I am looking for a setup that mainly runs cool and can handle a 3S lipo with ease. I don't really care about insane speed because these will be used to race around parking lots and little jumps. I never got the 3S 6800m up to speed and it was already too fast to control. I have heard that the Quark 33 pro car esc is great but i have no experience with it. I need some real life applications here. I need the Mamba Max/7T puller equivalent for my 18's. Rock solid performance pack after pack.

What are you guys thinking?

Finally, do i just say screw it, sell the 18's and get a pair of mini revo's. I have over $500 in upgrades planned for them.

wow dude I ran that 6800 with 3s lipo hard no problem....

I have the cc setupo with the 3s no problems.

i don't know what happended. It was screaming and then out of nowhere it flipped over and landed on all 4's. i gave it some juice and nothing happened. i walked over an unplugged the battery, brought it back into the garage, pulled the lid off and plugged the battery back in. It went, ssszzzzzt and smoke started pouring from the motor. i quickly unplugged it and threw it all in the box before i just poured gas on it and set it on fire.

Last edited:
i love the minis but i want a solid brushless setup.

no, i put it in a box because i was mad enough to douse and torch it after the motor smoked out on me.

I am leaning toward the mamba micro pro 4200 setup. says 32mph with a 3S. thats plenty fast for what i want to do with them.

Last edited:
you didn't specify which 1/18th setup.

n00b :)

one more question that wasn't answered before. Should i hop these two up like crazy or just get 2 mini e-revo's when they are released? I know these are reliable and there are a ton of parts out there but that little revo is sweet looking.

It is all about personal opinion, the RC18 is an amazing series, but their technology is getting a lil old...............

decisions decisions.

Just to get the drivetrains up to par and go brushless is $400.
I am looking at doing that first and its basically a pair of mamba micro 4200's, mip cvds, mip superdiffs and a full golden horizon steering setup on both.

i would have some seriously hopped up rc 18's then. On the other hand, they are saying the brushless mini e-revo will be 250 for the brushless edition. DO i want to wait till they are released and then deal with possible problems? I don't care for ball diffs but i am going to crank down on them anyway so its going to be a locked rear and very very limited slip front. the steering leaves much to be desired in the 18 series as well.

maaan, i need to quit this hobby.

Last edited: