Mgt 8.0 unable to find clutch shoes or teflon shim

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrosyndicate33

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All, thanks for taking the time to click, read and possibly help. I recently purchased an mgt 8.0. Clutch shoes are completely gone into the springs. I cannot find any shoes or the teflon flywheel shim anywhere. I understand the 8.0 is the thunder tiger s50. I have looked for the shoes under their part number as well. Does anyone know of a current upgrade? Thank you much!

Hello All, thanks for taking the time to click, read and possibly help. I recently purchased an mgt 8.0. Clutch shoes are completely gone into the springs. I cannot find any shoes or the teflon flywheel shim anywhere. I understand the 8.0 is the thunder tiger s50. I have looked for the shoes under their part number as well. Does anyone know of a current upgrade? Thank you much!
should be able to use a standard 3-shoe clutch assembly on the engine. such as the clutch for the MGT 4.6, or i think the one on my MGT is actually from a savage.
might be something to look into, cranks for the most part are pretty standardized, but just for your own sake probably double check diameter compared to another big block (.21 and larger) engine. wish they wouldnt have discontinued the 8.0 so soon as it had the most different parts so its just that much harder to find.

Have you tried eBay?
Yes I have. Everyone is out of stock/discontinued. There is one store on Ebay that ships out of hong Kong called RC Damper. They just have an aftermarket replacement flywheel and clutch assembly, super broad, description says it fits the 8.0, 4.6., .21 and sta4 .Its a month out with shipping, it's a 3 shoe design instead of 4 and I dont know if it will engage the huge steel clutch bell sufficiently. Skeptical about it I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-112059_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-112059_eBay.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20190917-112349_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-112349_Google.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 189
I ran my 4.6 clutch assembly on my 8.0 engines with out issues!....:cool:

But ,I got to thinking about it more ,my set up was on a 4.6 platform ,your truck has the spur support mount ,an I
think the bell is a different thickness & is a huge 20t ,not sure if you want to change a bunch of stuff around with
shims an stuff to change it over!

You might can also try the Thunder Tiger version!

Yeah, there were a few versions of that truck, not just the associated branded one. I've seen at least one version of it on Kevon Talbot's videos that wasn't branded as associated, but it was unmistakably a MGT. One of his buddies has it and just beats the thing to death. I think they even jb welded the crank case back together once...

Yes I have. Everyone is out of stock/discontinued. There is one store on Ebay that ships out of hong Kong called RC Damper. They just have an aftermarket replacement flywheel and clutch assembly, super broad, description says it fits the 8.0, 4.6., .21 and sta4 .Its a month out with shipping, it's a 3 shoe design instead of 4 and I dont know if it will engage the huge steel clutch bell sufficiently. Skeptical about it I guess.
My local guy might be able to help you. He does not have a searchable web site, He is awesome at finding old , odd stuff. Good Luck

830 Main Street Post Office Box 150

Hanson, Massachusetts 02341

Tel: 781 293-2804 Fax: 781 293-9542

Web: www.HansonHobby.com

Monday
10am​
7:30pm​
Tuesday
10am​
Wednesday
10am​
6pm​
Thursday
10am​
Friday
10am​
8pm​
Saturday
10am​
6pm​
Sunday
Noon​
5pm​

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it big time. I'm gonna do some more searching. thunder tigers part number is 1806 for the shoes but I can't find them either. I'm definitely going to look in to all of your suggestions thank you all again!

Went back and skimmed through Kevin's videos to see what the truck was called. Looks like it's the MTA-4.

Found the parts explosion and manual for it as well:
https://www.thundertiger.com/downlo...ER_S50(MTA4_v2.0)_Parts_Catalog(JD6755V2).pdf
https://www.thundertiger.com/downlo...owered_4WD_Monster_Truck_Manual(JD6754V2).pdf

They had the S50 and a 28 version. Those were for the S50.

Doesn't really help much as you have the part number already.

I looked up the Rta4 manuaI and i got different part numbers. I looked those parts up under their number and thuder tiger on Ebay and found some! I think they may work it looks the same and I believe the truck has the s50 in it with a red head? Thank you for your time, really cool of everyone. Yall did it!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190918-122948_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-122948_Chrome.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20190918-122922_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-122922_eBay.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20190918-143335_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190918-143335_eBay.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 151
I looked up the Rta4 manuaI and i got different part numbers. I looked those parts up under their number and thuder tiger on Ebay and found some! I think they may work it looks the same and I believe the truck has the s50 in it with a red head? Thank you for your time, really cool of everyone. Yall did it!!
good! hope you get it rolling and running here soon!

i have a set of shoes that i have stashed. i also think i can get another set from my local guy as well.

i have a set of shoes that i have stashed. i also think i can get another set from my local guy as well.
I may be asking in the future brother! How much do you think with shipping to California?