Maxx v2 vs corally sketer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I've about had enough of my arrma big rock. Thing always seems to brake 1 of 3 things every time i use it. I like the size of it, its a nice in between from the rival mt10 to my kronos xtr. Traxxas will have better part support, might be stronger? But idk if its worth the extra 100 over the sketer. The sketer seems to be built like a tank, but is a little heavy and could use a stronger esc. But over all the reviews are good on it

I can't comment on the big rock because I've never owned one nor have I the sketer.
The most important thing to research is the amount of parts available. All RC cars break, that's the nature of the hobby.
A RC without available parts is nothing more than a paper weight.
I would do some research and make sure.

I can't comment on the big rock because I've never owned one nor have I the sketer.
The most important thing to research is the amount of parts available. All RC cars break, that's the nature of the hobby.
A RC without available parts is nothing more than a paper weight.
I would do some research and make sure.
I understand that. But the big rock breaks more often than my rival mt10 and my kronos xtr. Always either a drive shaft, diff issue, or slipper clutch. Back before we moved, small addictions rc was a 30min drive. Of course they had a ton of traxxas parts, but they did have alot of corally parts. A few times i did have to order stuff. We just moved to kentucky and the nearest shop is over an hr away and its a hobby town. Went once and it was terrible. So I'm stuck ordering parts for now. That said i have not had any issues ordering or getting corally parts

I'm with Bill, Id get the Tekno over either of those kits. I personally wouldnt buy the MAXX or the Sketer.

I guess I was just confused as to what you were asking.

most durable 1/8 MT I know of is the TEKNO MT410:

You can build it yourself for under $400 if you swap over all your electronics, body, wheels:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5603-mt410-110th-electric-4x4-pro-monster-truck-kit/

Is mt410 based on 8scale platform?

I have eb410 and et410.2. never broke anything on a buggy but previous owner upgraded a bunch of parts. I am not going to say that truggy is weak by any means, but it's not indestructible like some people may expect. So far 2 race days and 2 practice days. Broke steering bellcrank and one plastic rod end

IMG_20230101_164056333.jpg

IMG_20230101_120808693_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230101_120241262_HDR.jpg

While I'm sure the tekno is awsome. I am just looking for something to beat on out back with the kids. Trying to round up electronics, motor esc, tires , body and what ever else is needed sounds like a pita. Id rather buy a rtr

Both the Stampede 2wd and 4wd are awesome trucks.

Is mt410 based on 8scale platform?

Yes, the MT410 is based on the EB48 chassis with the ET48 arms/shafts, they were following suit with the SCT410 naming where the SCT410 also shares the same chassis with the EB48.
While I'm sure the tekno is awsome. I am just looking for something to beat on out back with the kids. Trying to round up electronics, motor esc, tires , body and what ever else is needed sounds like a pita. Id rather buy a rtr

That's really unfortunate... I completely understand that a RTR is a great way to get started and see if the hobby is for you... but there's a lot of maintenance involved to ultimately save you money down the road (pun intended), ha!

Generally you want to do a complete rebuild of the car after every 15-20 battery packs. A rebuild consists of removing every single bearing, cleaning and/or replacing any bearings that are crunchy and no longer spin smooth. Then you replace the fluids in all the shocks and diffs while re-applying fresh grease on the rubber seals in the diffs/shocks to prevent leaks.

During the rebuild is when you inspect for signs of wear which can cascade to many broken parts instead of replacing just 1 less expensive worn part.

A seized bearing from a car not properly maintained can cause your motor to overheat and fail.. even worse depending on the motor failure can sometimes also kill the ESC too :(

Very few RTR's provide proper instruction to perform maintenance and that's where you have the advantage of building a kit to learn how everything goes together.

I truly believe that RTR = "Ready To Reassemble" where I feel that if you want something done right you need to do it yourself. Many RTR's are prone to human error... they are slapping these cars together as fast as they can which can very easily strip a thread or skimp on grease, etc which can lead to premature failures.

Not uncommon to see folks strip out all their electronics from an RTR and upgrade to higher quality components which completely defeats the purpose. Even more so are those who invest in a bunch of carbon and aluminum upgrades where if you bought a high quality kit from TEKNO, you don't need to make many expensive upgrades.

I believe the MT410 is about to be replaced the 2.0 version soon, so now is the time to get the best price before the 1.3 version is retired... and TEKNO will continue making parts for 1.3 as they have always made all their kits backwards compatible or continue making parts to support their legacy platforms.

I have no affiliation with TEKNO, just sharing what I know will save you money and frustration over the long haul.

I have a build thread here on the SCT410 which is extremely similar to the build for the MT410 to get a better idea of the quality TEKNO has to offer:

Best of luck finding a suitable replacement!

If you decide to build a kit I'd be happy to help make some suggestions on electronics to buy to keep costs low.

Last edited:
Yes, the MT410 is based on the EB48 chassis with the ET48 arms/shafts, they were following suit with the SCT410 naming where the SCT410 also shares the same chassis with the EB48.

That's really unfortunate... I completely understand that a RTR is a great way to get started and see if the hobby is for you... but there's a lot of maintenance involved to ultimately save you money down the road (pun intended), ha!

Generally you want to do a complete rebuild of the car after every 15-20 battery packs. A rebuild consists of removing every single bearing, cleaning and/or replacing any bearings that are crunchy and no longer spin smooth. Then you replace the fluids in all the shocks and diffs while re-applying fresh grease on the rubber seals in the diffs/shocks to prevent leaks.

During the rebuild is when you inspect for signs of wear which can cascade to many broken parts instead of replacing just 1 less expensive worn part.

A seized bearing from a car not properly maintained can cause your motor to overheat and fail.. even worse depending on the motor failure can sometimes also kill the ESC too :(

Very few RTR's provide proper instruction to perform maintenance and that's where you have the advantage of building a kit to learn how everything goes together.

I truly believe that RTR = "Ready To Reassemble" where I feel that if you want something done right you need to do it yourself. Many RTR's are prone to human error... they are slapping these cars together as fast as they can which can very easily strip a thread or skimp on grease, etc which can lead to premature failures.

Not uncommon to see folks strip out all their electronics from an RTR and upgrade to higher quality components which completely defeats the purpose. Even more so are those who invest in a bunch of carbon and aluminum upgrades where if you bought a high quality kit from TEKNO, you don't need to make many expensive upgrades.

I believe the MT410 is about to be replaced the 2.0 version soon, so now is the time to get the best price before the 1.3 version is retired... and TEKNO will continue making parts for 1.3 as they have always made all their kits backwards compatible or continue making parts to support their legacy platforms.

I have no affiliation with TEKNO, just sharing what I know will save you money and frustration over the long haul.

I have a build thread here on the SCT410 which is extremely similar to the build for the MT410 to get a better idea of the quality TEKNO has to offer:

If you decide to build a kit I'd be happy to help make some suggestions on electronics to buy to keep costs low.
What do you think about pr racing? There is not a lot of info and videos about pr racing but couple people at my local track switched to pr racing. From what I have been able to find, it's a small company from Taiwan.

What do you think about pr racing? There is not a lot of info and videos about pr racing but couple people at my local track switched to pr racing. From what I have been able to find, it's a small company from Taiwan.

I used to be a Team Driver with PR before switching to HB Racing. Only reason I left PR was because the 1/10 program died off in my area and I needed to go with a brand that has a solid 1/8 program where PR only supports 1/10 cars.

I still have my 401R and recently took it with me on vacation to SoCal to race at SDRC and was able to hit a trifecta winning 3 race nights in a row, so I can vouch that PR is legit and just as good as any modern brand out there ;) I am not a "Factory Level Driver", but will occasionally get into close battles with some of the pros.

HB is about to release a new 1/10 4WD Buggy and then I will switch over to that platform and likely sell my 401R at that time.

Here's my review thread:

1673323714124.png

1673323772167.png

Last edited:

I'm not like alot of guys on here. I love rc, to a point. I go out back with the kids, bash play, clean them up and put away. I'm not into competition, and keep them mostly stock unless something breaks. When i built my kronos xtr it wasn't bad, because all they need is a esc motor and radio. Any more than that and i would have passed on it. Id just rather run a rtr till it breaks and upgrade as needed, vs chasing parts down to build a roller

I'm not like alot of guys on here. I love rc, to a point. I go out back with the kids, bash play, clean them up and put away. I'm not into competition, and keep them mostly stock unless something breaks. When i built my kronos xtr it wasn't bad, because all they need is a esc motor and radio. Any more than that and i would have passed on it. Id just rather run a rtr till it breaks and upgrade as needed, vs chasing parts down to build a roller

I understand your perspective, and just want to caution that it may be possible that the failures you may be experiencing can be attributed to poor maintenance and you may not be giving the current brand you are running it's fair share. I am not claiming that ARRMA is the most durable brand, but I've seen many ARRMA SCT and 1/8 buggies race at the club in my area where ARRMA has impressed me with the amount of beating I've seen those cars take :)

I realize it can be intimidating but the nature of this hobby is to tinker and explore, if you ever get to a point where you are ready to build your first kit, a really good entry level kit is from ECX called a BTD (Build To Drive) where they include everything you need in the box, I would really like to see this concept carried forward with 1/8 designs as well:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...hed-btd-kit-with-unpainted-body/ECX03034.html

Back