Man, I don't know what to do.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorb123

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So, I take apart my engine. I put it back together, with every screw being tight. I remount it on the chassis, put the fuel line back into the carb, prime it with fuel, and I try and start it. And, fuel goes spewing everywhere... I'm assuming I have no compression. Does anyone know what I might have missed, or what I can do to try and regain compression?:OMG:

where is the fuel coming from and when you turn it over does it feel like it has compression?

Dang Candyman you are too fast

Candyman said:
Where is the fuel spewing from?
It comes from just behind the flywheel, from beneath the header, and from the pullstart.

Wow. That's everywhere.
OK, what kind of engine? And did you leave anything out when you rebuilt it? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but you never know.
Sounds like you may have left off a few gaskets or need to seal the engine better.

Candyman said:
Wow. That's everywhere.
OK, what kind of engine? And did you leave anything out when you rebuilt it? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but you never know.
Sounds like you may have left off a few gaskets or need to seal the engine better.
Didn't leave any gaskets off (though, I didn't take any off either...). It's a Nitro Star 15FE.

Well, there are gaskets for the backplate and engine head that would've required replacing when you rebuilt it.

If you don't have an exploded view of the engine, go to www.hpiracing.com and look it up there. I'd also suggest adding RTV sealant to your backplate when you reassemble it.

It's possibly just coming from the head and **looks** like it's coming from everywhere. You never answered this, when you turn the engine over by hand does it feel lke it's got good compression? Remove the head and make sure you didn't lose the shim. Clean up the mating surfaces VERY well and replace it. You could have a spec or two of crud in there.

Last edited:
also if you tighten down the head screws unevenly then it will leak out from under the head. be sure you tighten them down evenly in a circle.

beason said:
also if you tighten down the head screws unevenly then it will leak out from under the head. be sure you tighten them down evenly in a circle.

more like in a X pattern

I've never done it before myself yet, but I have read in nitro mags that it is a good thing to use liquid gasket everwhere?

mnm said:
more like in a X pattern

yes definately do it in an x pattern i did it in a circle once and had fuel coming from under the head

sorry!! i ment x i dont know what i was thinking. X or criss cross pattern, just like thightening up a wheel on a 1:1 car.

Well, from the old school method of 1:1 work, I go light torque X, little more in circle, and X for final torque, but it really doesn't matter much, there' usually only four flippin' bolts. :D If it's leaking at the head and heavily, it's shim missing, distorted, or speck of crud in there.

IBinSaneDiego said:
I've never done it before myself yet, but I have read in nitro mags that it is a good thing to use liquid gasket everwhere?

Not that I know of, a high temp silicone sealant suitable for 1:1 temp sensors is good for backplate, fuel inlet fittings, and TEENY dab at base of carb, but no gasket sealer is required anywhere else. If you use it on the exhaust manifold it will just harden and be relatively worthless, all you need there it the gasket itself.

Last edited:
dont mean to hijack the thread but.

i have a bit of fuel coming out from just behind the flywheel.

the engine starts and runs fine buts its wrecked my shell cos it spews it everywhere.

what could be causeing this?

its a trx 2.5
I've never had it apart (its been doing it for while but i just ignored it)
its had roughly 3 gallons through it.

Did you remove the main bearing? Did you try?

Did you seal the engine back up with RTV silicone and let it cure?

The cooling head screws in tact and not stripped or loose? They need to be snug.

Let us know

Jon

Back