mamba max not working with NIMH

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicats33

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a mamba max esc running a 5700kv mamba motor. I've only used 2s lipos with it until recently. I tried to run it with a 7cell NIMH 4600mah, everything seemed fine until I tried to give it full throttle. The car stopped. I could still give it throttle but it would only go about a foot and then stop. I know the batteries are fine because I run them in my slash with the VXL system all the time. I checked all the settings through castle link and don't really see what i'm missing. Does anyone have any tips?

None of my mamba or sidewinder systems have ever worked right with a nimh pack, these systems demand more power than those packs can deliver.

The Mamba Max ESC needs more current out than the average NiMH pack can supply. You can try to find a pack with a higher burst output capacity but I think by then it would be better to use a LiPo pack.

I run Nimh's in my 5700 all the time, Did you make sure and turn off the LVC in castle link? Also on the ESC are the indicator lights flashing and if so which ones?

I run Nimh's in my 5700 all the time, Did you make sure and turn off the LVC in castle link? Also on the ESC are the indicator lights flashing and if so which ones?

LVC is set at auto. and the Green light is the only one that flashes

The lvc set to auto is probably the problem. Shut it off and try again. Just remember to turn it back on when you run a lipo.

The lvc set to auto is probably the problem. Shut it off and try again. Just remember to turn it back on when you run a lipo.

perfect, thats what did it! Seems kinda dumb that I have to turn it off though, I leave it on with the VXL and no problems. I think the 5700 might be too much for the packs I have though. I ran it about 10min and the top cell (7cell hump) was very hot...

Glad you got it fixed, In the SW if it is set to Auto it will find how many cells the battery has and try to cutoff when it gets below the suggested cutoff limit which I believe is 3 volts I may be wrong. You can see how this would present a problem with Nimh's. It also doesn't suprise me that your batttery is hot after running Nimh's considering that you are try to suck some major juice out of it:) have fun....

Glad you got it fixed, In the SW if it is set to Auto it will find how many cells the battery has and try to cutoff when it gets below the suggested cutoff limit which I believe is 3 volts I may be wrong. You can see how this would present a problem with Nimh's. It also doesn't suprise me that your batttery is hot after running Nimh's considering that you are try to suck some major juice out of it:) have fun....

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, I get it now.
I took a 4 month brake from everything RC... I guess I have to refresh my memory a bit.
ahhh, lots of noob questions again :D

I'd step down a tooth or two on the pinion if the battery is getting anywhere near the 130 degree mark.

I'd step down a tooth or two on the pinion if the battery is getting anywhere near the 130 degree mark.

I'm running a 86t spur and 18t pinion on a old RC10. That should be perfect. I think my nimh's are just about on the way out... they got about 50 - 70 cycles through them already.

Back