Aarma infraction mega easy speed upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericehess

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
Hey all..looking into buying the infraction mega brushed version. Stock it only goes about 23 mph I hear. It comes with a 55t spur and 15t pinion with a nimh battery. The 3s version comes with a 50t spur and 20t pinion and 3s lipo(obviously). I'm thinking I could easily put the 50t spur from the 3s(4$) and a 20 or even bigger pinion on it along with a 2s lipo. With this quick upgrade should be able to do at least 30-35. Has anyone done this? I don't have any big parking lots near me to run the 60mph 3s version but the mega at 30-35 would be perfect for the small school parking lot in my town. This upgrade would cost like 10$, hopefully the mega 9t and ESC can handle the stress of the bigger gears. Anyone who has tried this let me know if this is a good option. Love the look of the infraction.

The 3s version is a much better choice if you are looking for speed. A brushed motor will burn up quickly.
You will have a better chance of reaching the speeds you are looking for with the brushless system.

I will definetly be looking to upgrade to brushless at some point, just wondering if anyone has tried the brushed on 2s with the same gearing as the 3s.

I only have one Aarma, which started in life as a Mega Senton - it was offered really cheap as a scratch and dent, at Tower Hobbies last year, but I never ran it with the brushed system in place. I replaced those with a Spektrum 3S setup from Jenny's RC along with AARMA's better motor mount/32P spur gear, and drive shaft support. My Slash is a better performing SC Truck for me, so I transformed the Senton into a Big Rock (JRC for the win). It now gets more use.

6c6EpUd.jpg

I will definetly be looking to upgrade to brushless at some point, just wondering if anyone has tried the brushed on 2s with the same gearing as the 3s.
I have not. I immediately turned my mega Infraction into a 4s brushless. It is so much fun! :thumbs-up:

Good luck! 😁 ✌️

Its a cheap upgrade so Id say, just try it. Make sure you use an IR temp gun to monitor temps on teh motor and ESC. My gut tells me you're going to overheat the electronics running taller than stock gearing but since you plan on going with the taller gearing in a brushless system eventually then might as well try it cuz you're going to need the gears later on anyway.

I agree, basically I wanna push the 9t brushed motor as far as it will go. It just seems weird to me that the setup is so flawed and can burn out so easily. Obviously brushless is better but what can a brushed do besides crawl? Hopefully 30-35. If not..oh well, got a ezrun 120 and rocket 3660 in my eBay cart ready to make me a less wealthy individual.
Gonna order two of the cheap 50t spur gear cause I'm sure I'll strip the first one out. Do they use plastic spur gears just so there is a simple fix fail point? Metal ones are like 30$, tempted to get one.

Last edited:
I agree, basically I wanna push the 9t brushed motor as far as it will go. It just seems weird to me that the setup is so flawed and can burn out so easily. Obviously brushless is better but what can a brushed do besides crawl? Hopefully 30-35. If not..oh well, got a ezrun 120 and rocket 3660 in my eBay cart ready to make me a less wealthy individual.
Gonna order two of the cheap 50t spur gear cause I'm sure I'll strip the first one out. Do they use plastic spur gears just so there is a simple fix fail point? Metal ones are like 30$, tempted to get one.
You can get just bigger pinion. 55 to 50t pinion is only 10 percent difference. 9t arrma brushed motor is kind of sluggish, I guess I am used to brushless throttle response and torque. You can gear it up, definitely you will get couple more mph but it will be even more sluggish and I don't think it will last long.

Hobbywing ezrun 120 is na awesome esc but make sure it's the original, order from amain or hobbywing direct. I never had good luck with knockoff eBay escs, just waste of money. Cheap goolrc motors work perfectly fine

I've had no issues with the ezrun 120 in my team associated b6. Runs great. I have had terrible experience with goolrc motors, cog like a sonvabitch and no torque. Wanna try a sensored setup and the ezrun and rocket are inexpensive parts I've had good experience with. Thanks for the advice, figured I'd do the spur too since it's cheap and I'll have the thing opened up for the pinion anyway.

I agree, basically I wanna push the 9t brushed motor as far as it will go. It just seems weird to me that the setup is so flawed and can burn out so easily.
All stock electronics are garbage, even the brushless ones. Call my cynical but I'm convinced they design the stock electronics to run close to the edge so it not only cuts down on their cost but also forces people to buy after market parts. Not just stock electronics but a lot of the stock parts in general.

Obviously brushless is better but what can a brushed do besides crawl? Hopefully 30-35. If not..oh well, got a ezrun 120 and rocket 3660 in my eBay cart ready to make me a less wealthy individual.
I wouldnt run brushed in anything these days short of a crawler or a mini kit.

Do they use plastic spur gears just so there is a simple fix fail point? Metal ones are like 30$, tempted to get one.
Yes, they are designed as a cheap failsafe thats not only easy and cheap to replace but also protects the internals of your diffs and/or transmission. The two main things people say not to make metal on a kit is the spur gear and the a-arms. (arms are designed to be the same way... failsafe for shock towers, bulkheads etc.)

I've had no issues with the ezrun 120 in my team associated b6. Runs great. I have had terrible experience with goolrc motors, cog like a sonvabitch and no torque.
Cogging happens when the motor tries to draw more power than the ESC can supply so cogging is more a failure on the part of the ESC, not the motor.

That's interesting, the esc I used for the goolrc motors was a goolrc esc so maybe the motors are ok just not the speed controller. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, the plastic spur makes sense if you can get to it relatively easily, some of my cars are a huge pain in the ass to get to the spur though.

That's interesting, the esc I used for the goolrc motors was a goolrc esc so maybe the motors are ok just not the speed controller. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, the plastic spur makes sense if you can get to it relatively easily, some of my cars are a huge pain in the ass to get to the spur though.
Easier than getting in the diffs/tranny Id wager. Your call tho

If your RC has a slipper clutch, there is nothing wrong with running a metal spur. The slipper is the failsafe. They put plastic spurs in because they are much cheaper, and they hold up well enough because there isn't a lot of stress on the spur generally.

I just bought an Infraction roller and the red white blue body. I didn’t like the black and teal/ gold 3S bodies. I was going to buy the whole truck but the motor would sit in my junk bin. I’m planning on using the same system I’m running in my Big Rock. HW Max 8, 2500kv motor, HR slipper deleted, .32p gears 31/50. For me this system is perfect for the trucks. I tried Spektrum and love it but wanted something smoother for speed runs.

Check out my FB group RC Family 4 Life lots of great people, RC’s and we help one another. Happy RC’ing Y’all!!!

0841B73D-46BA-4C7C-B057-5972FF5D1401.jpeg

A50C034D-8191-46BC-97B9-77D89AC990C0.jpeg

I was thinking of going the roller route, how much you pay?;found one for 130 on ebay, bit steep considering can buy the Mega for 250.

I save about 50.00 going this route but I’m the long run I could have bought 1.5 3S Infractions, I’m going with a Max 6 and a 3770kv TP motor!! I’m be had good luck with saving the listing and then the seller sends me an offer. I got the body for 45.00 instead of 65.00!! 🤘🏽🤘🏽🤘🏽

Hehe, I always get poopy offers doing that, like 2-3 dollars off. That's a deal.

That happens too. I low ball them then we go back and forth. Or I’ll scroll and scroll to find the best deal I can.

Back