Making My Own Body Project.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIP

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I have always been in love with 1:1 BLANK... and no company makes it.. So I am on a quest to make my own. I am using clay that the art supply shop said is what the use for molds like this. I will then be making a silicone female mold, and from that I will make a male plaster mold.. From there I am unsure (depending on quality) will go to the vacume heat foming bench and giving it a whirl..

I will reveal the make of this truck when ever someone can see what it is.. Untill then I will continue..

This is 2 hours into the project, and I estimate it will take 50-100 hours.. So bear with me on this one...

154518541484.gif

158458184818.gif

that is SAWEEET man... can't wait to see more progress on it.

Thanks man.. Its part of my scale trail rig project... I appreciate the kind words.. I should have a lot of progres pics, but I am not sure if I want it bigger or not.. Its the size of a stock savage body now..

the stock savvy bod should be a perfect size unless you plan to put it on a LST..... it looks like you put alot of thought in this.. the detail is great.

Thanks.. and yes I do think about things all the time.. Part of living with ADD..

So my questions is... Do you know what make of a truck it is yet..???

if you have know me or the project then zip it.. cuz I want people to look and say "where did yo get the BLANK body?!?!".....

lol

2 hours??? That is some job for 2 hours!!!
Can I start with the first guess? Toyota pick-up?

Good luck with it. Going to be fun for me to watch the progress.

yep looks like an old yota to me..
15582.jpg

good job man i bet its gonna be sweet!!

Toyota King cab is my bet.

Nice work!! How long has it took ya to do it? Looks like ya got alot of details too. Nice job! keep us updated too!

I'm gonna go with a Toyota also. Will you be making any of these for sale? if you are I would be interested in one. It reminds me of my very first rc that I had when I was a little kid. Progress looks great man.

Thanks guys.. I am hoping to have it finished within 40-60 hours... I have one side near done and the hard part will be making the other side semetrical.. I know some of the crawler guys would be lovin this body if it come out nice... I tell ya what.. Its a hell of a lot of fun to do this clay stuff.. I never knew it could be so entertaining... (yes my life isnt all that good, obviously)..

that looks great, reminds me of the viper i did back in high school.
good luck with it

Looking good.

You might need to fill in the wheel arches and the area under the bumpers as the molds might not release unless you do.

Good luck with your project and let us know how you get on.

mnm said:
that looks great, reminds me of the viper i did back in high school.
good luck with it

Did you end up making a female mold of it from that..?

niggle said:
Looking good.

You might need to fill in the wheel arches and the area under the bumpers as the molds might not release unless you do.

Good luck with your project and let us know how you get on.

Thanks.. Yea I will be filling in the areas so that the mold can be pulled off.. I just did that so I can get a good feel for what it looks like..

No, I wasn’t able to make a mold of it at that time, as I didn’t have the right equipment to do so, or anyone that can do it for me. So I just put it up on the self and left it there.

I suggest that you put some kind of plastic between the body and wooden board, it makes things much easier at the end, and the clay won’t dry as fast. May I ask what kind of clay you’re using?

Not sure of the name, but its sculping clay that the art store said was what i need for my project.. I will be using a laytex gel that you put 30-50 coats on before making the mold.. that acts as the releasing agent.. Then plaster mold will be made inside that..

I did take a lot of time to think about this.. I spent a lot of time deciding on what size I was after.. I used the actuall project for reference..

15415151511231.gif

Man... you go all out! it will be nice to see a build forming on the forum again. After RC Jack's build was cut short (long and sad story) I was kind of bummed.

Where did you get the stamped chassis rails? Is that thing some sort of kit or are you just that good?

Oh this has been attempted here before..? How far did he get..?

The frame rails, and leaf springs, came off my jugg turned crawler.. I had some extra parts laying around and decided to use them.. and no company make the body I want, so I decided to make it myself.. Then I could make any body I wanted..

So to answer your questions... I am not that good.. LOL

Well, at least your honest!

He had made a crawler in the past, I think he called the previous one pie wagon, but then he was working on one that carried twin CEN .46 engines.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28908

Then he was forced to stop due to a divorce and the requirement of liquidating all his assets.

He machined everything himself. It was an awesome build to follow as well.

Back