Making black smoke with nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvhCo

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Has anyone got an idea on how could an exhaust be modified to throw black smoke? I've tried inserting small amounts of black iron oxide in the exhaust, but apparently it's too heavy to be puffed out like that. Anyone got any ideas?

You mean the brodozer types in the diesels with 39" of lift with a crappy inefficient tune that never leave the pavement unless it's at a Starbucks with a gravel drive through I assume?

You mean the brodozer types in the diesels with 39" of lift with a crappy inefficient tune that never leave the pavement unless it's at a Starbucks with a gravel drive through I assume?
Haha, well actually I'm thinking of going with a tractor pulling build, and the smoke would really add to the feeling of power those beasts give. I got the idea after my Golf started doing this (it's a TDI, I'm aware this ain't normal lol).
Otherwise, I guess the blue-ish smoke will have to do.

Well tuned diesels wouldn't put out much smoke at all. But, the reason most do is that it's always safer to be on the rich side than the lean side for any engine, and especially turbo applications (including diesels) as they run lean automatically once under boost if the ECU doesn't change up the fuel mix. It's why turbo cars were never a big thing before the wide spread adoption for fuel injection and computerized engine management (timing, spark, etc). The rolling coal thing is way over rich on the fuel mixture though, and it's just for attention.

I guess that explains why there's much less smoke at full throttle.
I bet it also has something to do with the fact that there are -10°C outside and she hasn't been started for a week. Thanks for the info!

@EvhCo maybe you could make a mini smoke machine that could hide under the RC body. Connect it to a third channel so you can activate it from the controller. I wonder if you could use something like an e-cig or something?!

@EvhCo maybe you could make a mini smoke machine that could hide under the RC body. Connect it to a third channel so you can activate it from the controller. I wonder if you could use something like an e-cig or something?!

You know, I think that would actually work! One of those el-cheapo cigarette-shaped e-cigs should be small enough to tuck under the exhaust and power from the receiver's battery. Should as well find a vape-able black-ish liquid, and then I'm all set.

use snakes. you know those little cheap firework snakes. they make black smoke. idk how you would light it. probablly would set your rig on fire. maybe dont use snakes.