Make your own headlights

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there is a set-up for the Baja to run the lights with the third channel. I think it is relay of some sort. I have not looked in to it that much.

Sounds interesting

I used the same concept when I made the headlights for my T-Maxx. Only thing I done different was to install the lights inside an aluminum tube that was just a little bigger then the LED itself. (diameter) Gave it more of a "projected" look instead of lighting the whole underneath of the truck body.

Looks good!

-NB
hi sir would you mind sending me a picture of your led light project

my version

I have been MIA from the site for quite some time. School was pretty demanding this semester. Finally got around to doin some projects though. Here is the headlights I finally installed into my Enzo body. I took some plastic hobby panels, like the ones train guys use to make barns and other buildings, and formed them into box like shapes that fit the curves of the underside of my body.
Then I drilled some holes in the back just big enough for the LEDs to fit into.
I did this so the outside of the body would still be smooth and protect the LEDs, and would give it a real car feel.
Then i wired in a push button on/off switch i took outta something else for fun.
The LEDs run on 2 AA batteries that are taped with electrical tape to the side of the body, opposite the motor. The headlight buckets were hotglued to the inside of the body and the LEDs were also hotglues into the buckets.
I took many photos and even a video if someone would like to see them all. But I can share a few.

View attachment 8596

View attachment 8597

View attachment 8598

View attachment 8599

View attachment 8600

Last edited:
thats cool
I'm getting an onroad car soon il try and do this

I hate bumping threads, its looked down upon on other forums I'm on
but..
i did a light kit for my tmaxx i used 2 12v bulbs and 1 9v(only temporary). i used little clamp wires(easy turn off , since i dont have a switch).
the light are held down by thick electrical tape. i also totally covered the light with electircal tape, so no other light shined through the body
i sanded the fake headlight decal, and then i sanded the paint from the inside.
it gives it a look like sunbeaten headlights.
they look real IMO
0819002212.jpg

0819002158.jpg

Last edited:
i made a new light setup with white led's in the front and reds in the rear. $7 bucks at radioshack

i used lots of solder and electrical tape.
I'm somewhat satisfied, but I'm really pissed off too

Lol radioshack's a total rip off but its the only place to buy that stuff locally unless u have a local electronics store. I put some leds on my buggy I drilled two holes on the bumper soldered them in and jb welded them i like you idea.

i wish i kept that

i tried the new radioshack setup, and it was a mess, wires everywhere, the LED's wouldnt stay in, and the wiring connections kept breaking even though i soldered them.

now that i have a new body, I'm gonna get a nicer light setup, since the old body will only be used for bashing

I'm not gonna a do a diy kit anymore
I'm just gonna get some kind of kit

Heres my setup

Attachments

• 2011-01-09_14-48-58_290.jpg
    2011-01-09_14-48-58_290.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 292
  • 2011-01-09_14-50-32_759.jpg
    2011-01-09_14-50-32_759.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 261
  • 2011-01-09_14-49-18_501.jpg
    2011-01-09_14-49-18_501.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 240
As for the underglow. I figured a way that looks really good. I went to my local electronic shop and bought some tiny squar lookin LEDs and wired them up in a line and placed this offclear fuel tubing through it and when wired to the truck instead of looking like spot light on the bottom of your truck it's more like a glow. NOTE i did have to use 300OHM resistors on my LED for a 9V battery. Anyone need the Schematics for it let me know. Right now I'm working on a third brake light for my MAXX

I would very much appreciate your schematics... Though i may try and use the vehicles power source, i can manage, as i am 13 yrs into my automotive career. And am proficient with wiring/reading diagrams!
Thank you! I'm new to this hobby and am learning as i go!

I have headlites and tail lites on every car I made. They all also have "fire" lights that come out of exhaust pipes when the vehicle accelerates. Some have strobe, blinking, or flashing lites, switched by chjannel 3 and a remote trigger device wired in under the receiver "treasure box". (Police cars, fire trucks, construction) 3 of 4 of my land vehicles have underglow strips, green. No use for underglow on a track racer.

I put lights on everything I have... cars, trucks, boats, planes and helis. It just isn't real without lights. Here's a big 1/5 scale HummVee.

el1.jpg
el2.jpg

I really need to do a vid of the above pic. The headlights and spot lights are constant on and all the reds, blues and ambers flash sequentially. It really looks great when it's in action.

That's kind of funny. My axial scx24 came with headlights wired on it and they annoy me to no end. I keep blinding myself with them! LOL! I covered them up with tape with a pinhole in it to limit how much light they put out.

I got emergency vehicles that would give you seizures. As soon as I find a good way, I'll try to post. You can hear sirens and engine sound too.

Back