Make your own headlights

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklabel

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I don't post on here much, but I thought I would share what I did to make my own headlights. The car I did this on is a HPI rs4 3 type SS. Basically what you need is some wire, 16 gauge works well, smaller wire would be fine. You also need 2 AA batteries. 2 LEDs in the color of you choice.(you can get LEDs cheap off of ebay) Also a battery holder would work. Basically I had a battery holder that had wire already on it with terminals touching both sides of the battery.
This is the battery holder thing:
2.jpg

I mounted the holder to the spot I thought would be best. Then I ran wires up to where the LEDs would be. I made holes for the LEDs and wired everything. I ran the positive and negative from the battery thing to one spot then had them split off to each headlight. Once I figured out the layout I used a soldering iron to connect it all. I then taped all the wiring to the body so it wouldn't move much.

3.jpg

Once it was all hooked up, I put the body on and it looks like this.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Just thought I would share. This was just a quick thing I did and I think it turned out pretty well. If you really wanted to you could run the LEDs off the power on the batteries on the car but then you would need to connect it and disconnect when removing the body. I have something even better planned for a body I'm going to paint this week. Any comments/ suggestions? :)

I used the same concept when I made the headlights for my T-Maxx. Only thing I done different was to install the lights inside an aluminum tube that was just a little bigger then the LED itself. (diameter) Gave it more of a "projected" look instead of lighting the whole underneath of the truck body.

Looks good!

-NB

I used the same concept when I made the headlights for my T-Maxx. Only thing I done different was to install the lights inside an aluminum tube that was just a little bigger then the LED itself. (diameter) Gave it more of a "projected" look instead of lighting the whole underneath of the truck body.

Looks good!

-NB

Thanks for the compliment. On another body I have to paint I was thinking of making actual housing type things for the headlights, so they look almost exactly like real ones.

I would suggest a different location for the battery holder. Bumps + battery holder over the switch for the steering and throttle=not good. Just keep the battery holder clear of any switches.

underglow

i was thinking of trying this same concept except, i want to us it to make like an underglow as well, any tips for that?

For an underglow, the same method could probably work. Just run the LEDs to the side of the body(have them run along the body and affix them with some really good tape or some adhesive) and have them pointing at the ground. It should give you the effect you want.

For an underglow, the same method could probably work. Just run the LEDs to the side of the body(have them run along the body and affix them with some really good tape or some adhesive) and have them pointing at the ground. It should give you the effect you want.

Alright kool thanks for the advice, I'll try that and post some pictures of the finished product

You could also use shoe-goo to adhere the wire to the body. Might make for a more sturdy installation. The vibration of a nitro rig may make the tape come unglued. Might want to try hot glue, since it cures/cools really quick, would be easier to use if it will stick to lexan paint.

As for the underglow. I figured a way that looks really good. I went to my local electronic shop and bought some tiny squar lookin LEDs and wired them up in a line and placed this offclear fuel tubing through it and when wired to the truck instead of looking like spot light on the bottom of your truck it's more like a glow. NOTE i did have to use 300OHM resistors on my LED for a 9V battery. Anyone need the Schematics for it let me know. Right now I'm working on a third brake light for my MAXX

As for the underglow. I figured a way that looks really good. I went to my local electronic shop and bought some tiny squar lookin LEDs and wired them up in a line and placed this offclear fuel tubing through it and when wired to the truck instead of looking like spot light on the bottom of your truck it's more like a glow. NOTE i did have to use 300OHM resistors on my LED for a 9V battery. Anyone need the Schematics for it let me know. Right now I'm working on a third brake light for my MAXX

i would like to see them

did you have to use a 300 ohm resister on each led

Very nice. If you're using a 3rd channel radio, you can set up a micro servo to turn off lights by soldering a switch onto there.

Also, not sure about your body, but you can now buy lightbuckets for your RC bodies. I know Yokomo makes them, and I think HPI is starting to. It's basically something you glue into the body right where the lights are, and when you put your LEDS it goes into the lightbucket and you don't have to drill into the body. It looks very clean.

I found this on Google.
174-1.jpg

You can see that inside the body there is a plastic mold for your LEDS. You stick them in there and it gives it a clean look and is still bright. It's important to do this before you paint the body though, so you don't accidentally paint over the lights on the body.

Thanks for the compliment. On another body I have to paint I was thinking of making actual housing type things for the headlights, so they look almost exactly like real ones.

look for led light bezels on eBay they come in 3 and 5mm sizes and make for the perfect projector headlight

How long will it take before the LEDs suck those AA's dry?

A lot of RC drifters here have the lights wired in to the receiver and it makes no difference on the run time at all. They don't give enough light to actually drive with but they do look cool

Awesome! I'm gonna look into using the 3rd channel on my radio to maybe turn on the lights? dunno if this is possible but its always good to have dreams lol

Back