Mac users?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustedgears

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, I'm not liking what Vista is coming out to be, so I'm considering going mac.

I've been taking a good hard look at this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=37CDA12F&nclm=Macmini

I want to know if this is good for average use. I don't intend to play graphics intense games on this machine, nor put it under heavy stress.

I've been with PC and Microshaft for very long now and I'm not very familiar with OS X. I hear it's simpler than windows and works alot better, you know, doesn't crash as much, or problems with viruses, and things of that nature. I still plan on keeping my PC for gaming and as a work tool. This computer would just be for personal use.

Some of the new macs you boot to windows as well as OS X. I find using OS X is kind of annoying, but thats because I use XP most all of the time. I'm sure you would get used to OS X pretty quick.

For just personal use I think yo would have no problem with the mac.

Busted, you should ping Rocknbil about this. He's a MAC guru and knows his shizzle about Apple's!

bustedgears said:
Hey, I'm not liking what Vista is coming out to be, so I'm considering going mac.

I've been taking a good hard look at this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=37CDA12F&nclm=Macmini

I want to know if this is good for average use. I don't intend to play graphics intense games on this machine, nor put it under heavy stress.

I've been with PC and Microshaft for very long now and I'm not very familiar with OS X. I hear it's simpler than windows and works alot better, you know, doesn't crash as much, or problems with viruses, and things of that nature. I still plan on keeping my PC for gaming and as a work tool. This computer would just be for personal use.
Weird the Mac from what I hear is great for graphics and web design. I am not a big Mac fan. I have one that I am trying to bring back to life. Its a newer G4 Notebook but I can say I AM LOST! I am brushing up on Linux and Apple's OS. Pretty cut and dry for a normal Mac user but me.... HUH?

:post_count1: Whats A MAC

OH a big mac I see...
J/K If I was in too say a cad program I would be all over a mac!
But for that and that only.

I just got a Duo core mini last week and like it.
I am running both OSX and Win XP on it.

For the price its not bad. I use it mostly for Internet and light photoshop and its fast enough for my needs. If you are going to be doing any high end photo or video editing you may find it on the slow side. You need to know that the only upgrading you can do is memory and a larger HD other then that your stuck with what you have.

I had no trouble adapting to the OS. Its 90% the same as windows and the other 10% isn't hard to figure out. Software you are used to using with XP is close to the same but a lot more expensive to purchase. I did find that minus photoshop, there wasn't a whole lot I needed to get. Most of the software I needed was included in OSX.

I got the 1.66 with an 80 gig drive, superdrive, 512mb ram. I'm using my USB Windows KB and a Microsoft Scroll mouse. I will upgrade to 1-2 gigs of ram in the not to far off future.

I hope this helps.

FastEddy said:
I just got a Duo core mini last week and like it.
I am running both OSX and Win XP on it.

For the price its not bad. I use it mostly for Internet and light photoshop and its fast enough for my needs. If you are going to be doing any high end photo or video editing you may find it on the slow side. You need to know that the only upgrading you can do is memory and a larger HD other then that your stuck with what you have.

I had no trouble adapting to the OS. Its 90% the same as windows and the other 10% isn't hard to figure out. Software you are used to using with XP is close to the same but a lot more expensive to purchase. I did find that minus photoshop, there wasn't a whole lot I needed to get. Most of the software I needed was included in OSX.

I got the 1.66 with an 80 gig drive, superdrive, 512mb ram. I'm using my USB Windows KB and a Microsoft Scroll mouse. I will upgrade to 1-2 gigs of ram in the not to far off future.

I hope this helps.

Exactly what I was wanting to know.

I'm switching because I don't like the beta Vista. I don't believe in Microsoft's forced upgrading. Thirdly, there's hardly a virus maker out there targeting 2% of the market. I just want it for the stability. I crash my windows unit regularly.

Mac isn't the magic machine. You will at some point crash, loose a HD, and all the other wonderful messed up things that happen to other computers. Its still an electrical / mechanical machine and isn't some magic bullet to risk free computing.

From what I understand there will soon be a faster mini coming to market. When, I don't know... If you are looking to change platforms and are willing to learn a new OS Its a worthy unit. If you have a few extra $$ to spend you may want to look at the G5 for future upgrading and faster speeds. Again the mini duo core is just fine for my Internet use and light graphic and movie use.

Personally I wouldn't use a Mac as my primary computer simply because of the limitation of software availability and the cost of just about anything you put into it. But I have pretty specialized needs for computers and software, so it may be just what you need. I keep one around for compatibility checks but fire it up less and less these days.

The one thing almost all people don't realize is that MAC isn't virus free. Yes most Virus are targeting PC users but MAc is not invincible. I hope to get a better understanding of OSX

jon2 said:
I hope to get a better understanding of OSX

That's another thing, I know nothing about it. I want to learn it. I'm not getting rid of my PC by no means, I just want a more stable machine.

I've been toying around with Vista and I think it's going to have more problems than 2000 Pro and XP combined. It runs like crap even though MS claims it to be faster. Buncha hype.

Not to cause a fire storm here, but since you've been with MS for so long and you're now thinking about going to another OS why not try Linux?

There are distro's out there like Suse, Mandrake and even Fendora that are VERY VERY VERY easy to install and linux is getting much much easier to use. In fact most of the GUI setup is looks a lot like windows. Another plus is you don't have to go buy a brand new computer like MAC, just install Linux on another HD or your current hard drive - you can setup a dual boot so you can use both Linux and windows until you get to know Linux more.

Anyways just my two cents.

-Michael

There are many different OSs to choose from these days. You don’t have to be a WoodiE to figure them out. Back in the day it was an entire different skill set to use alternative OSs but that’s not the case any more. If you are looking for mainstream Win and Mac are the two most popular and the two most expensive. Mac OS needs to run on a dedicated hardware set therefore its going to cost more.

In this day and age, I think your wise to want to learn more then one of the popular OSs, the more the better.