Thinking about switching to Mac

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach Z

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everybody I've been away for a couple months and have been missing nitro, anyway I need a new laptop and I thought I'd look for some advice here. I've always had PC's and I'm very sick of microsoft hence the possible switch to a mac. I currently hace a Dell E1505 and I'm looking at a 15" macbook pro. This will be my only computer as I travel constantly. So what does everybody think? Past experiences switching? Compatability issues when transferring data???

Anbody got some guidance???:surrender

I switched and my only regret was not doing it sooner. If you feel the need to corrupt your perectly fine working Mac you can always install boot camp or parallels and run windows. I would highly suggest that if you are purchasing from a brick and mortar store and have one near by, you take advantage and purchase Pro Care. If you travel alot, Pro Care also will be beneficial if you ever need to bring it in on the road. The big thing with Pro Care is the classes, you can take one a week for the year to and you will be guaranteed a spot. There's also one on one sessions and they offer a PC to Mac class. Also, there's no appointments needed at the Genius Bar. I believe if you buy from a store they will assist in transferring data for you, my laptop was dead when I bought my Macbook so I didn't get to use it. Files shouldn't be an issue. The programs on the other hand, may. There's not near the amount of programs available for Mac but it depends on what you use. We use Lotus Notes (ugggh) for our home office crap, and I can't access it through Citrix web client on the road. Citrix works, Notes doesn't. MS Office works fine. Aperature is also great for photo editing.

I have always had positive experiences with Mac. My parents owned and operated a television production company for many years until my Dad passed away a few years back. Back then, Mac was the only thing capable of running the video editing equipment so that's all they used and they worked out great. I have also had a few Mac computers but right now I have a PC because I built it myself and it was the most affordable route. I have never had any issues because of stuff like boot camp, you can still run windows programs, but this doesn't work with ALL programs, just most of them so you'll need to check into whatever specialty software that you use. However to me it seems like there is more software being developed for the Mac than ever before, and I think a lot of it is because Mac is capitolizing on sales with the Ipod, and a lot of people that love their IPods go with a mac computer because of the convenience.