Microsoft strikes again

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweak

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have finally, completely made up my mind. I will never again contribute another cent to the corporate conglomerate known as Microsoft- And actually, I would even go so far as to urge all of my close friends and other acquaintances to do the exact same thing.

I agree that Bill Gates and his company are trying to do what they do best. Bring in a profit while providing a easy to use interface used in dealing with one of todays biggest parts of our everyday lives- computers. Hundreds of operating systems, Software packages and even hardware, computers and other things as well. They have their hands in everything to do with computers, technology and everything that comes with it. I applaud that kind of genius. They (the entire company) are composed of very intelligent men and women, all working hard to provide us, the consumers good products.

Bill Gates has a good thing and he knows it. That is the problem. They have taken it too far. Even at the top of the gaming industry (which is the root of this little rant of mine, more to come on that) Microsoft made a name for itself with a completely heretofore untouched demographic- Gamers. Millions of them. The X-Box was a gargantuan hit with millions and millions of gamers world wide. They instantly threw their hat (very successfully) into the ring with already established Giants like Nintendo and Sony and did quite well when it went to the cards. Then came the release of the Play station 3, to a very displeased crowd of gamers that had never seen a console top 400 bucks in it's first days- propelling Microsoft to another stunning and complete victory in the gaming industry. Over the past few years Microsoft has been doing extremely well.

All the while I sat back and watched, trying to take in the whole picture. I am a HUGE gamer. I own a PS3, X-box and X-box 360, along with some very old consoles like an Atari and an Intelivison 3000 and almost every other console to hit North America in the past 20 years. I watched and tried to figure out where it was all eventually going. Was Microsoft going to dominate and maybe even push Sony (my favorite by far) out of the picture? Was Nintendo going to pick up the pace and establish themselves as the top console this year? These questions are slowly becoming easier to answer, and I don't like the outcome. Nintendo can (and almost certainly will) dominate the PS3 in every aspect with it's family oriented play and great gimmicks, and I enjoy that knowledge. Knowing that gaming is falling back to it's roots- wherein a 46 year old business man can even pick up the remote and enjoy himself- while also providing a more stable background for an established gamer to enjoy several hours with one of the license' great names like Zelda.

But then Microsoft stuck it's big, ugly head into the picture.. and really sent me on a rampage. I love my 360. I hug it every morning before work. And even more.. I LOVE my HALO 2. A few weeks back I was reading a magazine, just glancing through- not really paying attention to detail and I saw that Microsoft was going to release HALO 2, a port for computers- with added content, and the ability to trump the 360 graphically with a good machine it was hands down an easy yes from my department. Even if it WAS a port, and a bit outdated (only by a couple years... pffft.) Then came the day. It was out. I woke up to a day off of work and 60 bucks reserved to purchase the game. Went to Game Stop immediately to get it. But.. I go in a pick up the box and a couple things strike me as a bit odd. Infuriated me in fact. This game (They are now referred to as "Games for Windows", which also encompasses just about every game Microsoft has ever made) Was made specifically for Windows VISTA. You got XP? tough luck gamer buddy. You want to play a 2 year old port from Microsoft and you will have to shell out the cash to purchase the OS to go with it. I cannot even begin to describe how angry that made me. Not only do they want everyone in the US who owns a computer to use their OS, they also want you to have the NEWEST POSSIBLE VERSION to even play their games. That is, in my opinion, bordering on a monopoly. Not only is there NOT a reliable operating system (aside from what mac provides) for PC currently available- you will pretty much have to buy a Mac or even go free source and be a code master to get anything better. Not only that, but Linux and a couple other popular free source engines have pretty much been sued out of existence by Microsoft.

They want their money. and they want it NOW.

Now, on to the second thing that got me rilled up. I enjoyed the fact that aside from a very few select tittles on PS2 and other consoles I could pretty much play online, for free with Microsoft. NO MORE. Any game that supports multi player online capabilities that is made by Microsoft has now been phased into X-Box live arcade or whatever it is they call that crap. I mean... Do you really want to PAY to play the same 12 maps in Shadowrun over and over again? not only that- but if you are going to pay to play a game that entitles the gamers a SAFE place to play. Free of harassment and "glitchers" while the ESRB requires them (the game makers) th place a simple "Experience may change online" sticker on the cases, it does not make them enforce any penalties for the actions that it is supposed to represent. When you pay to play a game the EULA entitles you to a better, more productive experience, which Microsoft has failed to provide in it's games.

So now. Me a gamer, No VISTA, No Microsoft games. I guess I have to bite the bullet on this one and say enough is enough. I knew when I bought my PS3 that it would be free of the defects Microsoft had from Day one. They pushed an inferior system to get a jump on what they refer to as the console war- and in my opinion LOST that war. Not only did Microsoft loose, SONY did as well. The Nintendo will be the forefront of next-gen console gaming for the next couple years. they are jumping ahead by leaps and bounds- already surpassing SONY's PS3 sales by several million dollars. A cheaper, more fun venue of entertainment is always better, in my book and Nintendo has stayed true to it's roots.

In short- I am done with Microsoft. They can have their Games for Windows and their VISTA- because I will NEVER purchase either. I will make it a personal vow to either purchase a MAC or even peruse one of the now very rare free-source or open-code operating systems.

I agree that Microsoft has won the console war. they are slowly bludgeoning the other companies into nothingness- but n doing so they have lost at least one supporting customer.

Besides... who wants to update their drivers every morning? I hear VISTA is complete crap.

You won't buy Vista if new games are still supported on 98 or XP. It's a total rip off by MS to constantly keep forcing us to PAY for a new OS, rather than provide patches to update at no charge.
To me, it's the same as buying a Ford today, and in two years, the gas that ran it is obsolete. You'll have to buy ANOTHER Ford, and they will sell you the special fuel.
I'm not sure, but would it be possible to install the game and change its' compatability mode to run in XP?

I read your entire rant, and I totally agree. Major rip off.
I think that ALL software, particularly from Microsoft, should be backwards compatable to XP or 98.

I have heard that it (HALO 2) runs quite well on XP with no cracks/hacks of any kind. I really believe it is simply a small pitiful attempt to make pretty much every PC that runs Windows almost completely proprietary.

Right after I wrote this this morning (I had just gotten off work, came home to take my little girl to school) I went out to Best Buy and bought a bunch of computer goodies. A new 5.1 surround sound card, some new speakers, a new mic, a couple games and a bunch of other crap. Got home to install the plug-and-play card and what do ya know? Microsoft decides it does not like the new sound card (methinks because it was not a MICROSOFT brand) and pretty much did everything short of setting the thing on fire and spitting it at me.

I really hate Microsoft now.

my father bought an HP laptop last weekend that came with vista, he then turns around and buys a HP printer to go along with his new toy. mind you my father is a computer noOb, but he follows the directions and starts installing the software package for the printer (all in one job). it then gives him an error stating that the computer he is installing on doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the software. (laptop is brand new). he calls me up and reads me the error message..

apparently HP printers dont ship with vista compatable software and drivers....

wtf!!

One word

LINUX

Try it..

Mepis
Kubuntu

or any flavor just do a search for linux distros....you can boot the cd to see if you like it no harm no foul.

I hear ya Tweak.....I use and support Microsoft products in my business...because its easy money....but for me and my house we use LINUX.

Tweak - What OS did you use to type this message?

I read your entire rant, and I totally agree. Major rip off.
I think that ALL software, particularly from Microsoft, should be backwards compatable to XP or 98.

Impossible - Win98 and WinXP has about one thing in common - they both feature a Start button at the bottom left hand corner. Minus that these two OS's are completely different. That's like saying MS Flight Sim X should also work on Win 3.1.

You guys think windows and their games are bloated now - it'd be insane to write a program or game to run on every windows os. Not going to happen.

Tweak going back to your rant, you mention MS is sueing every open source company - that's because some of those open source companies are stealing from MS. Of course they are going to sue them. Those that don't get sued get bought out by MS all because those open source guys are motivated by the same thing MS is and that's money. I've seen some nice versions of Linux alone wiped out all because the developers wanted their money now.

I do agree a bit with the rant, for example something that's not been mentioned is the fact in order to run DirectX 10 the foundation that todays games use you have to run Windows Vista. So not only will MS games but all future games that run only on Direct X 10 will require vista. MS has no plans to offer D10 to XP or older OS's.

If you do decide to ditch MS and go through with it then good for you, but be aware you'll about to go down a long hard road as the alternatives aren't always as easy as the MS options. I've toyed with a few linux alternatives and found some very nice options but none offer 100% of what I'm looking for and I'm not up to dual booting. I will say the server this site is running on is not a MS product and so far I'm loving it.

-Michael

I have finally, completely made up my mind. I will never again contribute another cent to the corporate conglomerate known as Microsoft.

So your not buying Halo3...You have to buy it, Halo is the greatest thing to ever happen to a console game!

I hate what they are doing but you can't blame a company for making as much money as possible...they are in business to make money not friends.

hehehehe, I love my Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )

O

Of course though I ordered a 360 and Halo 3.

I'm starting to think Tweak will act like this little bastard someday:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA"]YouTube - (Translated) Angry German Kid - Correct Translation[/ame]

wow..I've never really payed much attention to what microsoft was doing. i dont game all that much, and when i do its online(not the kind you buy and use with online play) so i really had no clue about all this.

that video is sad, but funny.

I've heard of people getting a little nuts while playing but that kid needs some professional help. I'm going to assume that he recorded that on his own, but why? I can understand what you are getting at Tweak, I wanted to get a Mac but with the price difference between them and a PC... I took my chances with vista and have no complaints so far, mind you that this is not a gaming machine.

i was kind of assuming his parents were just kind of wanting to show him how crazy he was.

i was kind of assuming his parents were just kind of wanting to show him how crazy he was.

Maybe, but I sure as hell wouldn't let him destroy a keyboard over a temper tantrum. I would be more inclined to take away computer time than let that go on.

maybe they tried that and it was even worse that way, then they made the video to show to counselor people and a judge for help

I think he's obsessed with his games and has no social life. He's really in need of serious help if that was for real.

He's a poster boy for birth control, and his 8th grade class voted him "Most likely to be found on a roof top with a high powered rifle."

At least I've learned how to get a good cardio vascular workout without leaving my computer chair.

its not only Microsoft. EA Games is also doing alot of the same,

I've been MOHAA fan sence its release. MOH Airborne was just released.
i just meet what i thought were the Min requirements.

XP3200+ 128 mg vid card 1 gig ram ( i run a xp3200, 256Mg Vid card. 1.5 gig ram.
my vid card is just over a yr old, maybe close to 2. it an ATI X800XT AIW.
Fn MOH Airborn wont work on anything less than a 128 ati X1300 card? I'm like WTF< my vid card is WAY BETTER than the 1300 128v. so for me to play the game, i need a new card, which means i need a new puter ( the ATI X850XT AIW, is the last card to really work well with AGP8X slots.) new board, new processor, new ram, new vid card.

bs all the way.
Vista is riddles with as many or More errors then WinME! nothing workx with it. and in another 12 months or less, Quad Core Processors will be the general norm. which means anything out after the next 10 months will require a new Quad core cpu/mobo/ram ect to use it.

bs all the way. the costs need to be WAY down for hardware, and software. especially now that the damn things are doubleing faster than every 18monts.

Tweak - What OS did you use to type this message?

Impossible - Win98 and WinXP has about one thing in common - they both feature a Start button at the bottom left hand corner. Minus that these two OS's are completely different. That's like saying MS Flight Sim X should also work on Win 3.1.

You guys think windows and their games are bloated now - it'd be insane to write a program or game to run on every windows os. Not going to happen.

Tweak going back to your rant, you mention MS is sueing every open source company - that's because some of those open source companies are stealing from MS. Of course they are going to sue them. Those that don't get sued get bought out by MS all because those open source guys are motivated by the same thing MS is and that's money. I've seen some nice versions of Linux alone wiped out all because the developers wanted their money now.

I do agree a bit with the rant, for example something that's not been mentioned is the fact in order to run DirectX 10 the foundation that todays games use you have to run Windows Vista. So not only will MS games but all future games that run only on Direct X 10 will require vista. MS has no plans to offer D10 to XP or older OS's.

If you do decide to ditch MS and go through with it then good for you, but be aware you'll about to go down a long hard road as the alternatives aren't always as easy as the MS options. I've toyed with a few linux alternatives and found some very nice options but none offer 100% of what I'm looking for and I'm not up to dual booting. I will say the server this site is running on is not a MS product and so far I'm loving it.

-Michael

Ok then, we agree that Several open source distro's ARE using system elements startlingly like that of the Classic MS brand. I would also agree that Microsoft, for all it's flaws did hit a very nice note with almost all it's software. Easy to use, understand and even work with everyday. Just because the base GUI resembles that of typical MS layouts and the flow even resembles that of a MS standard that does not mean MS can sue... They do not own a patent on workability.

Funny tho.. they can sue Linux for resemblances to their base code, but when the Windows VISTA search engines and work flow menus are almost the exact same as what was released by Mac a year ago people get cease and desist orders insisting they stop pointing out the similarities between the two.

By the way- the OS I am getting into now is Linux, I followed some very simple instructions on how to store the ENTIRE code for a small, free-code open end Linux client on a 2 gig flash drive and selectively boot it using my motherboards onboard application tools. It includes a GUI based web-browser that is ultimately more powerful that Mozilla and way more secure than IE7, A nice torrent downloading client and some other tricks.

I also, again agree that they are in it for money. who isn't? But at least they are trying to offer a more secure way to work and play without having to worry if that new printer is going to fall under MS's strict adherence guidelines. But, the problem does go a bit deeper. MS has a habit of throwing stuff out on the market without really knowing if it.. well.. won't explode when you boot it up. X-box cords that burn down houses, Operating Systems that are fully and completely incompatible with 50 percent of the software out at that time. If they really wanted to make a BOLD move, they would have waited until they could get some beta software that was expected to hit big that year and work out at least a decent, workable set of drivers for it. Instead they just bomb us with the crap version to smash rumors about OTHER plans under the table and yet again, we, the consumers are stuck with something unstable. At least Linux provides a stable environment for some things, if not all.

Granted- it is a bit different from the familiar feel of windows- but my mind is set. I will never again succumb to Microsoft's ploys. I am done with Bill Gates.

As for the video card thing Mike brought up. While video cards are a very integral part of any machine, to play just about any game that is to be released this year you will actually need to go a bit higher than the "requirements" those are stated simply to give the end user an idea of how their machine will run the game, poorly in most examples. I encountered this same issue when I bought Bioshock, Irrationals games' newest cult hit. My card was BRAND NEW. top of the line and I gave a good chunk of change for it. Low and behold it did NOT support 3rd Level shaders (that, I believe is also the issue with Mike's card) and I had to download (another) set of drivers for the card. Granted- this was an easy fix, but why couldn't they have just waited until the updates were done, a working product was out and established? Todays games are really going in a direction I like. Bigger, Better, Badder. We are pushing the graphics capabilities to the extremes even on high end machines like the ones I own and use everyday. That is the reason I bought the parts and built my dream machine, a couple times over. I want a machine capable of doing great things. To have the ability to let my imagination run with the photo editing software I use to design new things for my job, to astound even myself with some of the things it is possible to create now days- but Microsoft it just holding me... everyone who USES windows back from that goal.

Last edited:
Well if you do decide to go the Linux route there are some very nice distro's out there - the one I'm dual booting and like very much is www.ubuntu.com

I want to get a little more accustomed with it and maybe try out Wine as well. However in my field of work it would be suicidal for me to thumb my nose toward Microsoft. While I don't agree with everything MS is doing such as the direct x 10 issue I've mentioned above for starters, I do understand if I want to continue working at my nice job I better know MS and a variety of it's products.

-Michael