LST2 just revs doesn't go

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatsum69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey there all,

Just got my lst2. Seems to start good but when cold will just sit there and rev like being in netural. have checked linkage etc and that is fine the lever is hard against tranny case. If i push the truck with my foot it seems to grab gear and go but only for a second or to then just sits there and revs again if i push it about 10 times it finally seems to grab gear and will race around fine for the rest of the tank. One other thing when it does fall out of gear the engine revs get quite high even when i pull back on the brake. it's not that the carby is still open the slide is fully back and it still revs high someone said it could have an air leak into the motor from somewhere. The last time i started it with the roto starter engine woudn't turn over then it would grab and turn a couple of times did that a few times then finally seemed to turn it over and then started. please help sorry to write so much.

Michael

Did you just get a NEW LST2, and you are breaking it in??

I would say you have two problems. First, Losi is notorious for setting the carb way too rich on the LSN from the factory. Believe it or not try this: Lean out (clockwise) the HSN a little at a time (1/16 of a turn or one 'clock hour') till she moves out under throttle. I had to lean mine out a 1/2 turn before she would take off. I know this sounds counter-intuitive because you would think it is the LSN, but trust me and give it a try.

As for the engine staying at high revs I would agree that you most likely have an air leak, but one thing at a time...

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my buddys LST2 it happen to be the one way in the spur gear the first gear,But it could also be something in the tranny or the servo that controles the forward and reverse is out of adjustment,Cheack all of the above,And the over reving is that the engine is under load when it pops out of gear and their is spent fuel in the engine that is burning up it should be lean out a little I hope this helps
Greg

It has nothing to do with the engine, or carb its the One way bearing in your 2speed hub it tends to happen i have been there done it you can fix it by buying a new one or some peeps use Serpent OWB oil i can't find the link i used to have some but i missplaced it. You could try to clean it and maybe use some WD-40 but the serpent owb oil works best

arc

Sounds like the OWB in the two speed as suggested.

Is the truck brand new? Or is it used? How cold is it outside?

Maybe just taking the OWB hub off and cleaning the bearing with DA by running a paper towel through it and soaking the towel with DA, then spin the bearing on the towel. Then oil it with a lighter oil like 3-in-1 and put it back together.

The lube that's in it may be too gummy when cold and isn't letting the rollers do their job and bite into the shaft.

hey guys thanks heaps for your help. It was the owb i cleaned it like sugested and now it works i will buy a spare just incase anyway thanks again, Just so you know the truck isn't new i bought it on ebay. its about 1 year old. How long do these bearings normally last? Is there any other peices i should buy as spares that i will more than likely need?

Buy extra glow plugs,the OWB in the tranny,the one way in the starter,and a can or two of nitro cleaner.Keep the air cleaner clean as much as posiable.Other than that enjoy I had mine for a year before I had to replace the glow plug.You can see it in my photobucket at http://s150.photobucket.com/THETOYS
Greg

As for the two speed OWB, I'm not sure how long they last... Mines had a solid year of bashing with an LRP28 crunching away on it, probably 4-5 gallons of use. I take it apart and clean it once in a while and it still seems ok. I noticed the little brass bushings in the shaft are getting a bit sloppy though. Too bad you have to buy the stupid shaft to get new bushings. I checked with horizon.

Hi guys! I've had my lst2 for about 2 years and have run it maybe 10 times... last time I ran it, I had the same issue with it revving in neutral and would drive in reverse, but would not engage going forward. As a novice (got the car new as a gift), can you help me out with the whole "One way bearing in your 2speed hub". Do you have a pic or a part number so I can confirm I am focusing on the correct part? Thanks!

Yours is a different issue I think. If yours goes in reverse, but not in forward, then it's your shifting linkage/servo or something inside your trans.

If it was your OWB, it wouldn't go in either forward/reverse.

I'm having the same problem, my LST2 is brand new. It starts right up but will not go forward, I have to help it along and eventually it will get going but with much hesitation.

Hey there,

It will be your OWB well i guess it will be wouldn't of thought with a new truck but to find out. When the truck isn't running turn the big spur gear clockwise by hand if the truck drives forward like that it means it is your owb that what mine did. When turning by hand the bearing grips and will give drive when the motor turns really fast it doesn't well that what mine did.

Regards Michael

Dirk,
I just had the same problem when I was trying to break my truck in. It went through 3, yes THREE one way bearings. Now all is well. I call horizon Hobby and got all of mine covered under Losi's warranty. My local shop said the last 2 that they sold also had the same problem right out of the box. Give them a call and save yourself $25 bucks, or just have a spare.

main output shaft in the transmission might be broke thats what happened to mine

So who can offer a brief explanation on the location of the OWB? Does the whole motor need to come off? Is it behind the roto start/pull start plate?

Does the whole motor need to come off? Is it behind the roto start/pull start plate?
Yes.

Is it behind the roto start/pull start plate?
Yes, depending on your engine. Stock engine, yes. Some engines have the OWB on the outside of the backplate vs inside, but the Mach's have it inside.

Circled in red:
2009-0228-Mach427ExplodedViewOWB.jpg

Dirk have you tried that? Olds97, am I correct that there is 2 OWB's then? One behind the rotor start and one inside the spur gear casing? I never knew of the one in my stock motor.

I got to tell you all, I am eating all this information up! What a get site to get advice and discuss these aspects of the sport.

Would the weather have any influence on the outer otb going bad? I have just replaced the outer one by my first gear. It has been rather cold here (30-40) during the day. If I read your pervious post correctly I can clean out the old bearing lube it back up with 3-in-1 and then place it back on? I have saved all of them when i took them off. They all looked very greasy around the outsides.