LST only drives with Front wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicats33

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I think I know the answer to this but just need some advice before I go buying parts. My LST wont spin the rear wheels. I lifted it up and hit the throttle and the drive line turns. I can't stop the drive line with my hands but I can spin the rear wheels any direction I want with my hands while throttle is applied. Is this a rear diff issue? I don't hear any noises coming from the rear diff, is it possible that something has come loose or is the only possible condition striped gears??

Most likely what happened is the set screw that holds the rear drive cup on the diff has came loose. Also check the out drives on the diffs and the drive pins on the hubs. Just remember Locktite is you friend. Us the blue or green when you put it back together or it will happen again. Check those and let us know how it comes out. Probably something simple.

okay, thanks for the info. I might tear this down TM, not looking forward to it though... I think I've taken so many things apart on this losi I could have built 10 LST Kits by now!.. well, maybe one, but still...arrg. I'll update when dissasembly is completed.

Don't take it apart just yet. Just check the external set screws on all the drive cups in the rear of the truck starting with the diff input. Then if it's in and tight go to the diff out drives, check those two. Then drive pins. All should be able to be gotten to with out dis-assembly of the truck. Make sure the rear center shaft is actually turning the diff shaft. Always works easiest to difficult....you can always save time and money that way!

Last edited:
Most likely what happened is the set screw that holds the rear drive cup on the diff has came loose. Also check the out drives on the diffs and the drive pins on the hubs. Just remember Locktite is you friend. Us the blue or green when you put it back together or it will happen again. Check those and let us know how it comes out. Probably something simple.

:goodpost:

Don't take it apart just yet. Just check the external set screws on all the drive cups in the rear of the truck starting with the diff input. Then if it's in and tight go to the diff out drives, check those two. Then drive pins. All should be able to be gotten to with out dis-assembly of the truck. Make sure the rear center shaft is actually turning the diff shaft. Always works easiest to difficult....you can always save time and money that way!

Okay, I checked everything This morning before work. All looks good, nice and tight. I grabbed the rear driveshaft with my hand and moved the truck...driveshaft dosn't spin.... Grabbed the front driveshaft and moved the truck...driveshaft spun...

Last edited:
If the grub screws are still in the CVD's (and the pin is still in behind the screws) then you need to check and make sure your pins did not fall out of your wheel hexes. These are the two most common reasons for one end to loose "drive" in the LST series.

If the grub screws are still in the CVD's (and the pin is still in behind the screws) then you need to check and make sure your pins did not fall out of your wheel hexes. These are the two most common reasons for one end to loose "drive" in the LST series.

ah, I diddn't check the wheel hexes, I'll check when I get home today.

then you need to check and make sure your pins did not fall out of your wheel hexes.

That pretty much sounds like what it is if everything else is okay......that'll be funny if it is.:hehe: I've actually kinda had that happen before, except that it was my wheel nuts that weren't tightened all the way.;):D

Last edited:
I thought I mentioned the pins on the hubs...hmmmm.....maybe not. But RC Addict has ya covered....lol

well... I pulled the right rear wheel off, pin there. I pulled the left rear wheel off, pin there...BUT.. The hex on the wheel has been completly ground down to a perfect circle!!!:\ Now I didn't gradumacate from Harvard or anything but I dont think a wheel hex can do it's job if it's being inserted into a circle.... so It looks like I need at least one new rim. Thanks for everyone's help. I was going to go straight for the rear diff :hehe:

Alright Metallicats33, my stock hex drives did the same thing, in the process of swopping them for alloy ones, & replacing the wheels + tyres for proline velocity 40's white dish with big joe tyres

Stripped wheel hex will do it. That is he reason I put in bold to not take it apart first. Why? Because brother I have made the mistake before and was pissed when I found out all my work was pointless because I jumpped to conclusions rather than troubleshooting. Always work easiest/quickest things to check. Work in a logical fashion (thinking linier) working from a set starting point to and end point. Try not to jump around. This causes simple things to get missed. If you are having to troubleshoot electronics and you are going to do swaptronics.....cheapest part first. Don't go for the $100 receiver when it could be the $10 crystal. Last but not least.....if you are POed give yourself a few minutes to cool off. It prevents logical thinking....and things get missed and sometimes causes costly mistakes.

Stripped wheel hex will do it. That is he reason I put in bold to not take it apart first. Why? Because brother I have made the mistake before and was pissed when I found out all my work was pointless because I jumpped to conclusions rather than troubleshooting. Always work easiest/quickest things to check. Work in a logical fashion (thinking linier) working from a set starting point to and end point. Try not to jump around. This causes simple things to get missed. If you are having to troubleshoot electronics and you are going to do swaptronics.....cheapest part first. Don't go for the $100 receiver when it could be the $10 crystal. Last but not least.....if you are POed give yourself a few minutes to cool off. It prevents logical thinking....and things get missed and sometimes causes costly mistakes.

thanks for the help frickenjoey. I'm going to check the small things first from now on... out of all the cars we got the LST is the problem child. I think I looked at it wrong once and it broke:hehe: So i'm sure i'll have another problem in a week or two.

So I got new rims for the back, Any tips on getting the Tires off the old rims???

Not trying to be a smart a%$ but search and there is a method of baking them in the over or I have read about people boiling them.And I am not under the influence.

Not trying to be a smart a%$ but search and there is a method of baking them in the over or I have read about people boiling them.And I am not under the influence.

ahh...search is my friend:D Thanks...

thanks for the help frickenjoey. I'm going to check the small things first from now on... out of all the cars we got the LST is the problem child. I think I looked at it wrong once and it broke:hehe: So i'm sure i'll have another problem in a week or two.

So I got new rims for the back, Any tips on getting the Tires off the old rims???

I just used a razor blade to cut them off because they(Claw MT) went to Durwank and so that I could save the rims(Magneto), which I painted and put new tires(Raminator Ties) on.;):D
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB7201
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB7001
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB7211

there is a method of baking them in the oven

I think that you are suppopsed to 'boil' them in a pan of water to get them off if you don't want to ever use the rims again.;)

Last edited:
I have not done the bake method yet. I have done the boil method on my bbq gril side burner and it works...meeh..ok I guess. It still takes some work to get them off. For smaller 1/10 scale tires I would use my brushless RC10T4 to blast the tires off the rim. Worked pretty good and it was fun.