LRP ZR.32 on HPI Trophy 4.6 truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMamba

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
AE RC8T engine options

I was originally looking into getting a HPI Trophy 4.6 truggy, but I got a very nice deal from my LHS on an Associated RC8T CE kit. What engines do people run on their RC8T's? This truck will mostly be used for bashing and some light, unserious racing. Any experience with the LRP Z.28R Pullstart Spec.3 Nitro Engine?

Last edited:
Argus .23 with an 0801 pipe and a starter box. Look up RW Mods...

An LRP 28 Soec 3 is a good basher engine - as is the identical (and cheaper, usually..)Losi 454.. Gear up.. 15t CB at least...

Thanks man. If the LRP 28/Losi 454 is anything like the good, old Mach 427 mill that came with most Losi RTR vehicles, it should be a solid mill.

This may be a long poop, but do you know if the LRP ZR.32 Spec 2 has the same engine mount as the LRP Z.28R Pullstart Spec.3?

Same engine mount tabs.

The old Machs (orange) and especially the Losi 427's (silver) were AWESOME engines (for RTR engines..) The LRP Spec 3 .28 is similar but with more torque. VERY awesome with a JP-2 pipe too btw.. Thirsty, but very powerful and fast...

An LRP Spec 3 will be very fast in an RC8T, but it WILL be thirsty. The RC8T can shred with a good .21.

Also, if you run a non-bumpstart engine, you may need to find a different engine mount - the one from the old RC8T RTR.. Just so you know. Pullstart engines have big fat backplates that often don't fit race kit engine mounts, which are designed to sit lower for contact with the starter box...

Last edited:
Thanks, nice to know. For various reasons, I like the pullstart engines. The LRP .32 looks awesome, but will as you said be very thirsty. Maybe I'll just go with the LRP .28, I loved the characteristics and ease of the old Losi 427. Where is a good place to start searching for engine mouts allowing me to use pullstart engines on the RC8T?

I think I'll just go with the LRP Z.28R spec 3. What run times are we talking with the standard (125cc?) tank? I used to run a Losi Muggy with the Mach 427 and it was thirsty - but not in a hopeless manner. Many smiles per gallon :)

Here's my Muggy back in the day with an LRP Spec 3 and JP-2:

Was a very fun combo, but ultimately very thirsty. I don't think a .32 would make sense in a single-speed truggy.. The .28 is already too big for an RC8T really...

I don't know much about the old RTR version of the RC8T - but it did have a rotostart backplate, so the engine mount must have been different...

Everybody's got their own preferences and priorities, but really, IMO.., if you're into nitro and have a buggy or truggy, you really just ought to get a starter box. SSSSOOOO many more engine options, and the box is always more reliable - especially than a pullstart.. Just my opinion though. If you insist on a non bumpstart basher-type engine, the LRP Spec 3/Losi 454 is a good one. But you will need a different engine mount (or risers for the newer style two-piece mount maybe..), and it will drink a lot. Not to mention that more race-type engines will idle better.. Again, just IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! That's one fast Muggy :)
Any recommendations other than the LRP Spec 3? I really liked it in your video. I like the convenience of the pullstart, but I might just get a box...
Engine mounts have to be available from somewhere. I found some mounts on Ebay, but I'm not sure those are the right ones.

For the money the LRP 28/Losi 454 is hard to beat probably. Though something like a Werks B5 or RB Blast from Amain are very good engines.

Re the mounts I just don't know - I've never had a pullstart engine in my RC8T. I had a silver 427 in it, but with the closed backplate for starterbox.. (which also fits the LRP Spec 3 .28 btw. DYN0960 is the part # I think...) You could try googling a parts list for the RC8T RTR or something, and see if the engine mount has a different part# from the normal two-piece one for the buggy and truggy. Now that I think about it though, I think my SC8 came with the normal mount - BUT that was with the AE 28 engine, not the LRP. The LRP always had a big fat backplate - this was an issue for lots of people over the years...

But again - I just don't know for sure. It might work just fine. Best bet is probably to just google it...

Last edited:
Awesome. I'll do some research. Nice to know that I can always fit the closed backplate if I need to.

Back