Loss of throttle control

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doniski

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to this RC thing but am loving it. I inherited my sons kyosho 3.0 and while driving it I lose control of the throttle and then it revs high and goes like heck till it hits something. I have no idea what is causing it. I can turn off the buggy and turn it back on and throttle response is working again. Is the a servo? am I losing radio signal? All I know is I have broken a couple things already when I lose control. Any help would be appreciated. I am planning on swapping servos soon as a first step. Rather lose steering than throttle.

Nitro or electric? My old T-Maxx nitro classic got out of radio range and ran away. Check the controller batteries and replace. (frequently)

Nitro or electric? My old T-Maxx nitro classic got out of radio range and ran away. Check the controller batteries and replace. (frequently)
nitro, it can be sitting right next to me like even when i am trying to start it. fresh batteries

Must be throttle servo. A ghetto trick is to apply a compression spring on the servo arm to close the throttle as a fail safe, when not being pulled open. May put extra strain on the servo though.

Here's the throttle return on an HPI 4.6. Shouldn't be without one. More than just ghetto but a must back up system.

full

I'm still a pretty smart imbecile, right? It must have been funny watching me run after my T-Maxx that was ghost riding across the park, until it roped a chain link fence.

I just ran and ran, like a T-1000 after my wayward T-Maxx, shouting for people to get out of the way, until it got far enough that no one it might hunt could even hear me, yet still I ran in it's plotted course, to find it splayed out on a chain link fence saying "Daddy, I wet my huggies again." Broke the frame rail, bulkhead control arm, steering servo, can't even remember. I'm the most intelligent imbecile you ever saw. We make mistakes so others don't have to.

It depends on what the issue is. Pretty much every time I had a servo fail on me, it would always go full throttle instead of full brake, just bad luck I guess. Even with a TRS (throttle return spring), it wouldn't do any good because the servo would overpower it. The only time a TRS helps is if your servo loses power via the switch, bad wire, etc and on rare occasion for me, when the servo goes bad.

Do you notice if you lose steering as well as throttle when this happens?
Do you run a rechargeable NiMH pack or a 4 cell holder with AA's in it?
Is there an on/off switch for the receiver or do you unplug the receiver pack to shut it off?
Are you running AM/FM or 2.4ghz radio?
Have you gotten anything wet?

Here's the throttle return on an HPI 4.6. Shouldn't be without one. More than just ghetto but a must back up system.

full

Definitely a must. You can alternately rig a spring from the servo arm to the body to return the throttle.

Back