Losi Super Baja Rey

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky96

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Just purchased online from HH. This will be 1st SCT and 1/6 scale. Looking forward to grasping the size of this rig. Have a few 1/8 6S Arrmas that i love but ready for something different.
This is the bind-n-drive so planning on getting a Spektrum DX2E.
Any suggestions or things i should be aware of with the specific rig and 1/6 scale SCT in general??
All suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!! ??

LOS05018_b0.jpeg

I have a SBR. I think it is a nice car.
The larger the car the more momentum in jump landings etc but that said i have not broken it much.
The no 1 thing you should do out of the box is to change the lipo cutoff. It is waaay to low. Also the swich on the transmitter is set to 50% max power out of the box so read the manual how to change that.

A lot of people change the servo. You can buy an aluminium servo bracket from Losi that suits 1/5 scale servos.
The tyres are an odd size, you can change the hex from 20mm to either 17 or 24mm for more options.

For transmitter I'm considering the Spektrum DX2E. Anyone had any issues with it?
You're going to have a blast with your new Losi Super Baja Rey. As for the radio, the Spektrum will be fine I'm but though I recommend Futaba personally. The Futaba 3PV would be my suggestion for you.

Agreed with @WoodiE if you have several RC cars I'd step up to something like the Futaba and run just one radio with many receivers. The 3PV is packed full of features at a $120 price point. It is hard to beat!

You're going to have a blast with your new Losi Super Baja Rey. As for the radio, the Spektrum will be fine I'm but though I recommend Futaba personally. The Futaba 3PV would be my suggestion for you.
Thanks for the suggestion ?. That does seem like a good deal. 10 model memory!
I'm not very educated on the TX/RX aspect of RC. I wonder if you could help me out? This Futaba comes with a reciever so i would need to replace the Spektrum reciever that's on the Losi or should it be compatible?? The factory reciver requires DSMR capability? I want to be able to use the ACV function.
I also have several 2019 model Arrmas. Will i be able to bind this transmitter to those receivers or will i need to buy Futaba receivers for each?

Thanks for the suggestion ?. That does seem like a good deal. 10 model memory!
I'm not very educated on the TX/RX aspect of RC. I wonder if you could help me out? This Futaba comes with a reciever so i would need to replace the Spektrum reciever that's on the Losi or should it be compatible?? The factory reciver requires DSMR capability? I want to be able to use the ACV function.
I also have several 2019 model Arrmas. Will i be able to bind this transmitter to those receivers or will i need to buy Futaba receivers for each?
The AVC is a built in feature to the Spektrum receiver which is why you pair the Spektrum transmitter to it.
Generally you have to go 1:1
Futuaba transmitter radio = needing futaba receivers in all of your cars.

With that said the AVC functions are not in the basic Futaba radios. Futaba is known to be a little pricy when talking about receivers. I believe they run around 38 - 44 dollars each. I rarely have more than 3 RC cars at a time so it works well for me.

I put an inline aftermarket gyro on my cars to provide the AVC function. The SKYRC_GC301
With this you loose the radio controlled AVC levels as it is adjusted manually on the unit in the car, however I typically set it once and never touch it again.

There are tons of people who stick with Spektrum and use models like the DX5 Pro, which will hold multiple RC cars (up to 250) in its memory. I prefer Futaba due to range abilities for speed runs, which is all I do.

Alternatives are brands like radiolink and flysky noble and plenty of others out "there".

The AVC is a built in feature to the Spektrum receiver which is why you pair the Spektrum transmitter to it.
Generally you have to go 1:1
Futuaba transmitter radio = needing futaba receivers in all of your cars.

With that said the AVC functions are not in the basic Futaba radios. Futaba is known to be a little pricy when talking about receivers. I believe they run around 38 - 44 dollars each. I rarely have more than 3 RC cars at a time so it works well for me.

I put an inline aftermarket gyro on my cars to provide the AVC function. The SKYRC_GC301
With this you loose the radio controlled AVC levels as it is adjusted manually on the unit in the car, however I typically set it once and never touch it again.

There are tons of people who stick with Spektrum and use models like the DX5 Pro, which will hold multiple RC cars (up to 250) in its memory. I prefer Futaba due to range abilities for speed runs, which is all I do.

Alternatives are brands like radiolink and flysky noble and plenty of others out "there".

Thanks for your help and information. I definitely don't know as much as i should regarding TX/RX options.

So what do you think my best option is? I was considering the Spektrum DX2E which is what's paired with the RTR model of the SBR and is the cheapest option. However the manual says a 4+ channel transmitter is needed but the DX2E is 2 channel. Is the 4+ channel assuming it's already paired with another rig?? So the DX2E is fine if I'm fine with it have a designated TX? That was my plan until I saw "4+ channel recommended".
Having a single remote for multiple rigs might be handy but it may not be practical for me as I'll let the kids bash some so each rig needs its own.
What I'm mainly interested in is possibly getting one that provides some live data about the rig while bashing...mainly motor/esc temps, battery performance and speed. However, my interest wains if it's north of $200 to get it.
Top priority is to be able to run truck with it's full capability ie AVC.

In general Futaba is expensive when talking about spare receivers, and even more so when you get down to telemetry data device add-ons.
Spektrum likely is your best bet.

This one uses a DX5 pro and is very tempting. I love all the data he is getting back from the car!
This is due to the "smart" ESC, batteries, and motor.

In general Futaba is expensive when talking about spare receivers, and even more so when you get down to telemetry data device add-ons.
Spektrum likely is your best bet.

This one uses a DX5 pro and is very tempting. I love all the data he is getting back from the car!
This is due to the "smart" ESC, batteries, and motor.

The research I've been doing for a transmitter for the SBR has been educational or at least I'm realizing what i don't know. ? the last time i had to pair a transmitter was with my hpi nitro and i went with Futaba. Was a simpler choice back then. What Spektrum is doing with the Smart telemetry looks very cool. Unfortunately it's not incorporated in this sbr. I think I'm just going to stick with KISS and get the Spektrum DX2E.

...scratch that. For another $20 I went with the Spektrum DX5C.
I want to get this thing all squared away and back in the box so we can run it Christmas morning.

I want to get this thing all squared away and back in the box so we can run it Christmas morning.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback about your new Losi Super Baja Rey and that Spektrum DX5C after Christmas. ;)

I chose the Spektrum DX5C myself but 13 grandkids and one on the way it has to wait until after Christmas before I can purchase it.

Good choice. I had the DX2E and it was cheep cheep cheep

Looking forward to hearing your feedback about your new Losi Super Baja Rey and that Spektrum DX5C after Christmas. ;)
Finally got to get in a little ligit bashing besides up and down the street. SBR handled very well and held up to some bad flip attempts.
The Spektrum DX5C was great. Will be pairing some Arrmas to it when I get some recievers.

Back