Losi Mini-b any advice welcome

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nenecrane

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
I got this little guy and I love it but more then welcome to any tricks advice tips ext my first losi and losi mini and losi buggy cool as all though and a tough little guy

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can't help with tips, but a Mini B is still on my wish list. It really is a cool little buggy. 😍
Me trying you to get one in my build thread. lol. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/losi-mini-b-street-basher.135192/

I love those bodies.Pretty cool. I got a mini b my self which is apart in a box and on hold for a rebuild. I need a new chassis, and rear pivots.

It looks like it is all stock besides the body?

The stock spekturm 107 or 108 servos are junk (and the servo savers too) I am currently trying to fit savox micro servo in mine but I need to mod the servo mounts and horn to get it to work.

The 2 in 1 esc and radio is ok. I switched it out for a Dynamite 2 in1 esc and motor (can't use stock radio) So I used my RadioLink radio. Well you can use the stock radio with a brushless system you would just need a horizion hobby proboat receiver.

With mine I stripped the screws for the rear pivots so I need to dremel those out. Also the positive battery wire on my Dynamite motor came out so hopefully my uncle can solder that back up.

I went with the Losi aluminum shocks and they are way better than the stock plastic.

More on the servo. The ecopower 827 servo is a direct fit and works with stock servo horn and losi upgraded servo horn. I had that ecopower one and stripped the gears out in 1 bash.

Something to watch out for is the ballcups they pop out easily. If they pop out in the rear then your driveshaft will fall out (dogbone shaft) so just letting you know. I had that happen to me at my local track on black carpet. It was hard to find but I found it.

For the tires, stock is like a dirt style pin tire. I worn mine down to street slicks for the street. I use PL Prisms and wedges for the carpet track and Jconcepts ellipse for the clay track ( with tire compound sauce)
Here is a couple of my threads about my mini. The build thread above and a couple here:

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...ter-about-4-or-so-months.137193/#post-1366419

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-savox-servo-for-my-mini-b-savox-sh-0255mg.136529/

Last edited:
I don't own one but there are a handful of guys that race them on the turf track in my area.

Most important upgrade I see is using a zip tie to reinforce the servo saver, it's a very weak design and nobody can make a single race day without this essential upgrade.

Tires are very hard to come by, I would stock up to play it safe, that is the only reason I have not bought for myself yet... if more aftermarket brands start supporting consumables then I may consider getting into the class :)

I don't own one but there are a handful of guys that race them on the turf track in my area.

Most important upgrade I see is using a zip tie to reinforce the servo saver, it's a very weak design and nobody can make a single race day without this essential upgrade.

Tires are very hard to come by, I would stock up to play it safe, that is the only reason I have not bought for myself yet... if more aftermarket brands start supporting consumables then I may consider getting into the class :)
Yea the zip tie thing is common. I tried it and it sort of worked. I went with the aluminum servo horn for more direct steering and I stripped the stock (spektrum sx107) servo. Stock servos are junk anyways. I think there is alot of tire options. PL has their carpet tires. Jconcepts has carpet, clay, and bash tires. I think there is another company that does foams. I seen a online store called i think HackFab RC. They do parts for the minis. And there is a few 3d print files online. Since the mini b came out and the jrx2 there are more option parts and aftermarket brands. There is not alot like traxxas parts but theres a few. :)
One thing I would do to the mini is instead of using the little body clips, use velcro on the side chassis mud guards and on the body. I did it. I love it and its more efficient than the small body clip.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=losi+mini&page=1&type=things&sort=relevant - 3D print files for free on thingivese.

One big one is Hot Racing. Alot of aluminum parts. 1 thing I break on the mini is the front bulkhead or the camber block. I plan to get the HR aluminum atermarket part.
@Nenecrane Have fun with the mini b :) Any local tracks around? They might do mini b / t racing (can be either stock brushed or mod with upgraded brushless motors)

Last edited:
Mine is still stock. I like my mini T2.0 better so I havent done much with the buggy. Theyre both cool though :)

Can't help with tips, but a Mini B is still on my wish list. It really is a cool little buggy. 😍
It’s on mine too
Everything is still stock picked it up off market place just got here the day I posted it it’s definitely a mean little guy flys good lol I definitely want to change tires we were looking last night but they definitely are hard to come by it seems luckily he came with some extra parts but still much room for improvement I used to have the team associated minis n was pleasantly surprised when he showed up n I can actually do something with him other then just look at it
The one others thing I’m not so sure I like is the battery hold down it pops off way to easy in my opinion

Last edited:
Ya gotta stop sharing pics with Nerds Clusters in the background. I am going through withdrawals and having a hard time not licking my phone.

A Mini-B is on my wishlist as well. Such a cool little buggy.

Ya gotta stop sharing pics with Nerds Clusters in the background. I am going through withdrawals and having a hard time not licking my phone.

Sorry can’t do that I have a constant supply somewhere close blue ones today’s lol

Sorry can’t do that I have a constant supply somewhere close blue ones today’s lol
I wanted to try the Easter ones. The blue ones are my favorite. I think that's my kiddo's favorite too.

The Easter ones are banging sadly I don’t remember where I got them but I love the blue ones pink are good too they need to come out with more though I could live on them and lays pickle chips

The Easter ones are banging sadly I don’t remember where I got them but I love the blue ones pink are good too they need to come out with more though I could live on them and lays pickle chips
I'm just glad they don't have 5lb bags of them. I'd be in a sugar coma every day. I only know they don't because I looked 🤗

Great...now I want nerd clusters.... 🤣

I got pink ones now too such a happy fat kid

Nice paint job. Just picked up a used Mini-B myself with a Dynamite 6000kV 2in1. Seems to be broken. It resets / changes the initial setup when I power the TX off and back on.

I’d love to hear some suggestions for upgrade brushless motors / ESCs here. What are people using in 2023? Mamba Micro x with Castle / Surpass Hobby / Furitek / Spektrum / what Motor/ESC/Kv is working well for you and is direct fit?

Yes the cars (throttle and servo settings) goes back to normal when you turn the TX off since there is nothing connected therefore no setting changes, because all those settings are saved in the radio. Completely normal. Now if you turn it back on and it doesn't save settings that you inputed previously, there is something wrong. What RX/TX combo are you using?

I used the Dynamite 2 in 1 last year and earlier this year, as I started to get more into racing my mini, i currently have the following set-up:

King Val ESC/motor combo (cheap Amazon one, 35A ESC, 2435 6100kv motor)
Savox micro servo (SH 0255 MG if I remember correctly, I use the hot racing aluminum servo saver for it)
RadioLink RC8X with R4FGM receiver
Urgenex 1100 35C 2s LiPos

I ditched the dynamite combo as it was super hard to program (as there is no program card and you have to program via button and sounds) and some of the wires I had to resolder into it as they were coming out of the end bell. Now I use it as a spare backup motor.
Pics:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1693787079026.jpg
    FB_IMG_1693787079026.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230917_041909562.jpg
    PXL_20230917_041909562.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230917_032006267.jpg
    PXL_20230917_032006267.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230917_031952081.jpg
    PXL_20230917_031952081.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 30
Yes the cars (throttle and servo settings) goes back to normal when you turn the TX off since there is nothing connected therefore no setting changes, because all those settings are saved in the radio. Completely normal. Now if you turn it back on and it doesn't save settings that you inputed previously, there is something wrong. What RX/TX combo are you using?

I used the Dynamite 2 in 1 last year and earlier this year, as I started to get more into racing my mini, i currently have the following set-up:

King Val ESC/motor combo (cheap Amazon one, 35A ESC, 2435 6100kv motor)
Savox micro servo (SH 0255 MG if I remember correctly, I use the hot racing aluminum servo saver for it)
RadioLink RC8X with R4FGM receiver
Urgenex 1100 35C 2s LiPos

I ditched the dynamite combo as it was super hard to program (as there is no program card and you have to program via button and sounds) and some of the wires I had to resolder into it as they were coming out of the end bell. Now I use it as a spare backup motor.
Pics:
Actually, what I meant was I’ll program the Dynamite two in one ESC with the button and series of beeps. Sometimes it will set fine, other times the forward and reverse are opposite or there is low power. Either way, every time I power the ESC down and back on, it will lose it’s previous settings. I’ve programmed dozens of ESC’s with my GT5 radio and never experienced ESC settings being lost / reset during a power cycle. Honestly, wish it worked since it’s such a clean install.

All that said, I’d love to hear about how all the different motor / ESC combos are working out, since I have to replace the Dynamite. I’m sure the thread op would too. Thank you for the King Val suggestion. Did it drop right in, no mods? Could you add a link?

Very weird. I never had that issue before. But yet again when I ran the dynamite I left all the settings from the factory as it's too confusing to program by button and beeps for me as it's confusing.

The King Val system, drops right in, you loose the 2 in 1 feature as the ESC/motor are separate. So it does weigh a little more. With me, I mounted the esc in the middle so a little weight on the car and it does stay planted more - high bite / traction carpet. The ESC is programmable with the surpass Hobby program card, and it has all the settings you would need, even as some boost and turbo timing. With the 6100kv, it does have a little more speed / high end than the 6000kv, but it's so little you really won't notice it. But with my boost and turbo settings I have, once it gets to a certain rpm on the straight, you'll here the (imaginary) turbo kick in. Another racer, which is the owner of the track uses the same combo with good results. The esc also has deans plugs on it so I got new batteries aswell, which the Urgenex 1100 2s, pretty low and balanced IR, especially that I am balance charging them at 4 amps, plenty of run time for a race, and not that pricey. I believe @Addict Rc reviewed / used them aswell for his crawlers. But if your using the Dynamite batteries, you can solder on a ec2, or a different plug on easily.
The only problem I have with the system, is that all the wires i got, which are lengthy and not organized well, they push up against the body, so to cure that I added more velcro (since I don't use body clips)

ESC/Motor Combo https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6T5ZGKZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

Batteries https://www.amazon.com/URGENEX-Battery-1100mAh-Batteries-Compatibal/dp/B08XZQ3NV1/ref=sr_1_4?crid=N67L8T5Z8F6P&keywords=urgenex+1100+mah+35c&qid=1695428680&sprefix=urgenex+,aps,154&sr=8-4

ESC Programmer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B17Q9K7X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

And I also just noticed that they discontinued the dynamite 2 in 1, which they rebranded as the new spektrum for about 4 dollars more expensive. 😐

Something that I experienced with the esc, is that since I am using that high of a kv in a offroad car, and even after a 5 minute race (more like 7 minutes of driving) the esc is pretty hot (around 120 to 140 degrees F) so just watch temps, with me, I always stop the car around the 10 minute mark to let it cool down. But for the price of the combo, can't beat it.

King Val also has a blue version, which the only thing different is the color, and it has a external cat pack, which on the red version is actually hardwired / glued into the esc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1BBZD5...trial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

King Val is the knock off brand of Surpass Hobby so same thing.

Last edited:
Very weird. I never had that issue before. But yet again when I ran the dynamite I left all the settings from the factory as it's too confusing to program by button and beeps for me as it's confusing.

The King Val system, drops right in, you loose the 2 in 1 feature as the ESC/motor are separate. So it does weigh a little more. With me, I mounted the esc in the middle so a little weight on the car and it does stay planted more - high bite / traction carpet. The ESC is programmable with the surpass Hobby program card, and it has all the settings you would need, even as some boost and turbo timing. With the 6100kv, it does have a little more speed / high end than the 6000kv, but it's so little you really won't notice it. But with my boost and turbo settings I have, once it gets to a certain rpm on the straight, you'll here the (imaginary) turbo kick in. Another racer, which is the owner of the track uses the same combo with good results. The esc also has deans plugs on it so I got new batteries aswell, which the Urgenex 1100 2s, pretty low and balanced IR, especially that I am balance charging them at 4 amps, plenty of run time for a race, and not that pricey. I believe @Addict Rc reviewed / used them aswell for his crawlers. But if your using the Dynamite batteries, you can solder on a ec2, or a different plug on easily.
The only problem I have with the system, is that all the wires i got, which are lengthy and not organized well, they push up against the body, so to cure that I added more velcro (since I don't use body clips)

ESC/Motor Combo https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C6T5ZGKZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

Batteries https://www.amazon.com/URGENEX-Battery-1100mAh-Batteries-Compatibal/dp/B08XZQ3NV1/ref=sr_1_4?crid=N67L8T5Z8F6P&keywords=urgenex+1100+mah+35c&qid=1695428680&sprefix=urgenex+,aps,154&sr=8-4

ESC Programmer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B17Q9K7X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

And I also just noticed that they discontinued the dynamite 2 in 1, which they rebranded as the new spektrum for about 4 dollars more expensive. 😐

Something that I experienced with the esc, is that since I am using that high of a kv in a offroad car, and even after a 5 minute race (more like 7 minutes of driving) the esc is pretty hot (around 120 to 140 degrees F) so just watch temps, with me, I always stop the car around the 10 minute mark to let it cool down. But for the price of the combo, can't beat it.

King Val also has a blue version, which the only thing different is the color, and it has a external cat pack, which on the red version is actually hardwired / glued into the esc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1BBZD5...trial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

King Val is the knock off brand of Surpass Hobby so same thing.
Thank you so much for this in depth information. Very helpful in making a decision. Anyone at your track happen to use the Castle micro x with Castle motor or the Furitek-2293 ESC with FUR-2294 brushless sensored motor? I'm curious how difficult these two systems are to install and how they are working in a real race scenario.

Thank you so much for this in depth information. Very helpful in making a decision. Anyone at your track happen to use the Castle micro x with Castle motor or the Furitek-2293 ESC with FUR-2294 brushless sensored motor? I'm curious how difficult these two systems are to install and how they are working in a real race scenario.
currently no one that i know of, locals use the cheap amazon ones, or the 2 in 1s from dynamite or spektrum.
Furitek system looks nice.
Castle is way too expensive for my money.

Back