Losi Mega Baja LST

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natethedwag

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got this from my neighbor and I have no idea what I am doing it took me a lot of digging just to find a name and it has not bin used in a long time and my neighbor has never used it before and it doesn't have a remote
My question
What kind of fuel does it take
How do you turn it on
What remote would you recommend
And anything else you think I should know before using it

Attachments

• 20210816_114324.jpg
    20210816_114324.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 20210816_114335.jpg
    20210816_114335.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210816_114356.jpg
    20210816_114356.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 100
You will need nitro fuel ,glow igniter ,new air filter & filter oil ,an new 2.4 transmitter & receiver an
also a good cleaning!
There actually should be a break down of the engine for inspection & cleaning before it is
started!

There is a lot that it needs ,but that is a collectors item an is very desired!..🤔

I would recommend watch some videos on this. There are several videos about engine rebuilds and cleaning. You have an awesome rig there so she needs some TLC.

I got this from my neighbor and I have no idea what I am doing it took me a lot of digging just to find a name and it has not bin used in a long time and my neighbor has never used it before and it doesn't have a remote
My question
How do you turn it on
20-30% nitro methane fuel
Glow ignitor
air filter and filter oil as Cbaker mentioned
possibly going to need glow plugs
I dont see a pull start on the engine so you'll probably need a rotostart of some kind
receiver batteries
For a transmitter Id recommend a Flysky GT3b
also like Baker mentioned you'll need to tear the engine down and make sure its clean, functioning, and bearings are in good order.
really the whole kit needs to be torn down and inspected especially the transmission, diffs, and wheel bearings.

If you want something easier Ill trade you a ready to run electric kit for that. I have a Kraton 4S thats almost brand new. I'll even throw in a lipo battery and charger. I always wanted a Mega Baja and if youve never owned an RC before starting with an old used nitro kit isnt going to be a small task. Its going to take a lot of work before you can even attempt to start and run it.

Last edited:
Glow ignitor
I dont see a pull start on the engine so you'll probably need a rotostart of some kind
receiver batteries
also like Baker mentioned you'll need to tear the engine down and make sure its clean, functioning, and bearings are in good order.
really the whole kit needs to be torn down and inspected especially the transmission, diffs, and wheel bearings.

If you want something easier Ill trade you a ready to run electric kit for that. I always wanted a Mega Baja and if youve never owned an RC before starting with an old used nitro kit isnt going to be a small task. Its going to take a lot of work before you can even attempt to start and run it.

That is a great deal that you offer ,because if one doesn't know anything about a nitro RC will
get very frustrated ,especially when an RC will need a lot to get it back in shape & in running
condition!..:thumbs-up:

My question
How do you turn it on
The fact that you don't know the type of fuel, tells me you're in over your head on this. Unless you're willing to take the time to learn all about nitro.
@Greywolf74 just made you a fantastic offer, and you will be running his outstanding rig, practically right out of the box!

Glow ignitor
receiver batteries

If you want something easier Ill trade you a ready to run electric kit for that. I have a Kraton 4S thats almost brand new. I'll even throw in a lipo battery and charger. I always wanted a Mega Baja and if youve never owned an RC before starting with an old used nitro kit isnt going to be a small task. Its going to take a lot of work before you can even attempt to start and run it.
It's not my first rc car but it is my first gas one and I definitely want to try to repair it but thanks for the advice thanks for the offer
Ps. Fixing it is all the fun for me at least

Last edited:
It's not my first rc car but it is my first gas one
This is technically not a gas rc car, because there are actually rc cars that run on gasoline.

An electric motor rc is a totally different animal than a nitro engine rc. Most importantly, you would need to know how to tune a nitro engine so it doesn't get damaged.

Wate a minute how much it this thing worth?
This is technically not a gas rc car, because there are actually rc cars that run on gasoline.

An electric motor rc is a totally different animal than a nitro engine rc. Most importantly, you would need to know how to tune a nitro engine so it doesn't get damaged.
Its still the first of the type

Probably not as much as the Kraton Grey offered you. His Kraton really is like new ;) If it were me, I would jump all over it. But if you are able to tear that down and get it going it will be an awesome learning experience for you. Make sure to share your prograss so we can all watch Grey go nuts with envy 🤪🤣😉😆
22o7zt.jpg

Hey Nate, welcome to RCT! Looks like a cool project. I’ve always enjoyed wrenching as much as driving too. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.😊

Welcome to the forum man.. How long has that been sitting for?did you check to see if motor turns over by hand? You said your neighbor had it.. you sure he didn't run it?? Its definitely been ran from what I can see in the pics..Looks like gelled fuel in exhust back pressure line.. and the fly wheel looks like it has some rust on it. You will definitely need to break it all down from motor to shocks. With old used RC it's best to break them down completely to see and know the working and to check everythingBasically all they way down into pieces. Then rebuild it from chassis up. Find the manual for it..anything else your missing besides what fuel to run??? I would Stat with:
Clean/ Oil bearings all
Drain and rebuild shocks with new oil /seals
Break down/clean engine
Check all screws
Check tie rods
Go over electronics make sure they work and wires are good
Get a pull start or roto start
Plugs igniter
Batteries
Basically take it all they way down to bare chassis... and clean everything....
Then start to rebuild. Then once that's done the. You can start and run it..depending on how long it sat. Might want to get new sleve and piston.. or at least check to see if any imperfections in them both.. Check the rod.and then some... just maken sure you know what to check.. so it will be a good running RC and not blow up on you first time out.. good luck any ?? Just ask and can't wait to see pics of it and your progress...
Glow ignitor
receiver batteries

Hey wolf I will take that trade I got a few nitros I can do with out... not the Baja but still nitros..

It's not my first rc car but it is my first gas one and I definitely want to try to repair it but thanks for the advice thanks for the offer
Ps. Fixing it is all the fun for me at least
If your really in to it by all means fix her up and send it! Shes gonna need a few hop ups if you're gonna give her a good bashing. If I were you the first thing I would do is tear the entire kit down including the transmission and engine and check all gears, bearings, and all other parts for possible damage. That will also give you a chance to clean it up and lube everything real good too. You'll need the exploded views and parts lists in order to do that which can be found HERE.

Shes gonna need Aluminum steering knuckles (Exotek makes some for the 3XL-E that should fit.)
RPM A-Arms for the front. Never had as much trouble with the rear arms but you may want to do those as well.
Lunsford titanium links for the RPM arms and for the steering tierods.
TiNi shock shafts for the front. I dont think I ever bent any rear shafts but definitely bent front ones

If you're really gonna send it and put her 10+ft in the air you're also gonna need:
Aluminum shock towers
Hardened aluminum chassis brace. The stock brace is metal but its weak and prone to breaking under heavy bashing.
If it still has stock servos you're gonna wanna upgrade those eventually too.

If the kit still has the original body and its not already torn up Id buy a different body to bash with and keep the Baja Buggy body in good shape.

Its still the first of the type
In used unknown condition like that theyre worth maybe $200-$300. If the kit was in good known working condition you could probably get $300-$400 out of it. With an intact Baja body in excellent condition you could add another $100-$125 or so. This is just a guestimation on my part but Id think its in the ball park.

Its not the first of its type, I'm just a huge LST fanboy. The kit itself isnt particularly sought after, its more the Baja body that was probably the most popular of all the bodies that came on any of the LST variants. I have a couple of the clear ones complete with sticker sheets from back in the day that I'm saving for the right build(s). I paid a small fortune for them 10-12 years ago I doubt you could even find any like that now. If you're interested heres a brief rundown of the LST line up of MTs.

Years are rough estimates and the kits that came out in the same year I'm not sure which ones came out before which but this is to the best of my knowledge.
2004 - The original LST launched. Was highly praised at the time and won MT of the year in 2005.
2005 - LST2 launched. Had a lot of improvements over the LST. Its still to this day my favorite variant. (Although I have yet to own a 3XL-E)
2006 - Losi Muggy launched. Losi took the LST2 and "Tuggy-fied" it. It handled more like a truggy than a monster truck. Think REVO. Same idea. It used to be popular to "Muggify" the LST2 for better handling. Essentially the same truck with the exception of some suspension parts. Id love to own one of these but Id never be able to find the necessary after market hop ups for it anymore.
2006 - Losi Aftershock launched. I believe this was just a slightly cheaper version of the LST2 with a different body.
2007 - Losi Raminator launched. Much like the Aftershock, This was just another repackaged LST2 with different wheels, tires, and body.
2007 - Losi Mega Baja launched. Again another cookie cutter spin off of the LST2 except the body was hugely popular.
2008 - Losi XXL launched. - This was essentially yet another spin off of the LST2 except the chassis was longer, it had different wheels, different body, and they did away with the hi-low gear selector on the transmission. I feel like this was the start of the decline of the LST platform. people were unimpressed for the most part with all of the slightly modified re-releases of the truck. Starting from the LST2 on Losi was using proprietary 20mm hexes for the wheels which already werent popular but then with the XXL not only were they still using the 20mm hexes but now the stretched chassis made it impossible to use any of the old bodies with the kit. Almost forgot another change they did to the kit which was actually well received was they switched from using the .26 Losi Mach 426 engine to a .28 Losi 454 engine. Both engines were good imo but the 454 was bigger and better.
2014 - Losi XXL2 launched. This was losis attempt to turn the XXL into a kit with a .31 2 stroke gasoline engine which was a fad at the time. This kit like pretty much all the other 1/8 scale gasoline kits put out around this time by all manufacturers pretty much flopped and flopped hard. Just ask @WVNed about the HPI Octane and how great of a kit that was 🤣
2017 - Losi 3XL-E launched. I dont own one of these but I want one! This was the first real redesign of the LST platform since 2005. It was also Losi's first electric MT. I was out of the hobby for awhile during this time or Id have bought one. Pretty much looks like a Losi MT but the chassis lay out is specifically for electric and looks very much like a truggy. They must not have been on the market very long because they are already discontinued and seem to be hard to find.

So I hope someone enjoyed that walk down LST memory lane. I told you I was a LST fanboy 🤣🤣🤣

Welcome to the forum man.. How long has that been sitting for?did you check to see if motor turns over by hand? You said your neighbor had it.. you sure he didn't run it?? Its definitely been ran from what I can see in the pics..Looks like gelled fuel in exhust back pressure line.. and the fly wheel looks like it has some rust on it. You will definitely need to break it all down from motor to shocks. With old used RC it's best to break them down completely to see and know the working and to check everythingBasically all they way down into pieces. Then rebuild it from chassis up. Find the manual for it..anything else your missing besides what fuel to run??? I would Stat with:
Clean/ Oil bearings all
Drain and rebuild shocks with new oil /seals
Break down/clean engine
Check all screws
Check tie rods
Go over electronics make sure they work and wires are good
Get a pull start or roto start
Plugs igniter
Batteries
Basically take it all they way down to bare chassis... and clean everything....
Then start to rebuild. Then once that's done the. You can start and run it..depending on how long it sat. Might want to get new sleve and piston.. or at least check to see if any imperfections in them both.. Check the rod.and then some... just maken sure you know what to check.. so it will be a good running RC and not blow up on you first time out.. good luck any ?? Just ask and can't wait to see pics of it and your progress...

Hey wolf I will take that trade I got a few nitros I can do with out... not the Baja but still nitros..
If you got a Muggy, 3XL-E, or EREVO then game on! lol

Last edited:
It's all tanked apart
Still need to get the air filter and remote but I do wonder how much this thing is worth
It's all tanked apart
Still need to get the air filter and remote but I do wonder how much this thing is worth
It never been used by my neighbor it was a gift to home but he never used it
And I dont plan on "sending it to the moon"

Attachments

• 20210816_212449.jpg
    20210816_212449.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Its all back together
The last one is a size comparison to my first non toy TV car it's big

Attachments

• 20210817_094939.jpg
    20210817_094939.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210817_094819.jpg
    20210817_094819.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210817_095004.jpg
    20210817_095004.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 83
Not trying to be a di*k.. or hurt feelings.. Buy you keep saying it hasn't been used.?? And this is your first nitro.. what says it hasn't been used?? Because I'm wondering why's there fuel oil all over chassis and fuel tank.. and the fuel is still in the fuel lines.. the under belly has fuel oil from the fly wheel spinning.. so I'm pretty sure it's been ran bud. Sorry but it's what I see in the pictures.. I see you took off the motor and the tank and the gear case and trans.And the exhust off top of chassis.. what about the rest of the Truck? The diffs the drive train. Shocks and shock oil. All the bearings..the trans and all gears reoil bearings re grease trans new diff fluid there's alot to breaking down a nitro... I mean it usually will take a whole weekend to break down and go over the whole RC truck the rite way.. and then another few to put back together.. I mean I would take every thing off a arms hinge pins take the motor apart. Go over with a fine tooth comb before I put a drop of fuel back in it...

Back