LOSI LMT review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armykyle1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The good.

I finally got to spend some time with the LMT on 3s. I feel it offers a good "scale experience" and should satisfy those looking for that. It bounces off things and has the general looseness that full scale monster trucks seem to have. It wheelies with ease on 2s and 3s. I think it's plenty fun on 2s but 3s offers more instant power. It'll back flip off a flat wall or slightly angled one. You can get it to spin on its side and get back on its wheels, sometimes. It's very cool watching it bouncing around over various terrain types. It offers a unique experience and looks super cool.

The bad.

The paint chips really bad. I would highly suggest spraying another coat of base paint or hit it with flex seal or something. The shocks won't stay where I adjusted them too, needs a collar lock or something. A number of bolts came loose. One of the light wires detached and got ripped out. Both lights stopped working. The way the light wire plugs in is really annoying. The battery hold down is by far the most annoying part. Maybe I'm an idiot or my fingers are too fat, but trying to attach the band to the hook part is kinda difficult due to its poor placement. Two of the body clips got ripped out and one of the clip mounts is fubar. There's a lot of cogging too.

Overall.

It's not my cup of tea but it's still pretty cool. I'm disappointed with quality of the "small things" but I beat on it pretty good and everything else held up. The high price of replacement and upgraded parts will probably limit me using it. I think overall it has swayed me away from making more losi purchases. I was looking at a dbxl-e or super Baja Rey, not so much now 🤣.

20211024_134727.jpg

20211024_134804.jpg

20211024_134604.jpg

20211023_064931.jpg

Thanks for sharing. So the big question - would you buy it again?

That's tough honestly. I mostly got it because my son loves grave digger and this was a more accurate version. But knowing what I know now, I would have either saved a few dollars with the axial version or got a 2021 trx bronco. So no lol.

In all honesty, the Grave Digger looks completely "toy" to me. I like monster trucks but I think everything is far more realistic than the GD is.
The truck @WickedFog posted is far more realistic.

The good.

I finally got to spend some time with the LMT on 3s. I feel it offers a good "scale experience" and should satisfy those looking for that. It bounces off things and has the general looseness that full scale monster trucks seem to have. It wheelies with ease on 2s and 3s. I think it's plenty fun on 2s but 3s offers more instant power. It'll back flip off a flat wall or slightly angled one. You can get it to spin on its side and get back on its wheels, sometimes. It's very cool watching it bouncing around over various terrain types. It offers a unique experience and looks super cool.

The bad.

The paint chips really bad. I would highly suggest spraying another coat of base paint or hit it with flex seal or something. The shocks won't stay where I adjusted them too, needs a collar lock or something. A number of bolts came loose. One of the light wires detached and got ripped out. Both lights stopped working. The way the light wire plugs in is really annoying. The battery hold down is by far the most annoying part. Maybe I'm an idiot or my fingers are too fat, but trying to attach the band to the hook part is kinda difficult due to its poor placement. Two of the body clips got ripped out and one of the clip mounts is fubar. There's a lot of cogging too.

Overall.

It's not my cup of tea but it's still pretty cool. I'm disappointed with quality of the "small things" but I beat on it pretty good and everything else held up. The high price of replacement and upgraded parts will probably limit me using it. I think overall it has swayed me away from making more losi purchases. I was looking at a dbxl-e or super Baja Rey, not so much now 🤣.

View attachment 135531
View attachment 135532
View attachment 135533
View attachment 135534
Well you can get rid of the rubber hold down. Get some battery straps. Looks like there is holes already for them.. the lights agree very poor design. Need some zip ties or tiny velcro straps.. or get some wire and rewire them to tie together back by the hood and widow area behind body brace not the front by bumper.. that's how I would go about fixing it bud...👍👍

In all honesty, the Grave Digger looks completely "toy" to me. I like monster trucks but I think everything is far more realistic than the GD is.
The truck @WickedFog posted is far more realistic.

I agree it does still look like a toy, but looks good compared to other offerings. Even for the price point.

The LMT looks awesome but I'm more about bashing and performance than I am about scale looks which I guess its why I've never bought any solid axle bashers. Thanks for sharing your experience with it though. :)

Losi has some great kits out there. Unfortunately its generally more of their racing level kits. I'm not sure about the LMT but I know the DBXL-E and the Rock Rey dont have a lot of aftermarket part support for them probably because theyre not overly popular kits I'm guessing. They used to make a great MT but ever since they dumped the LST2/XXL line I dont think they really offer a strong contender in the MT department anymore. can't go wrong with the Losi 8ight, 8ight-T or the Ten-SCTE though. Those are all great kits if you're into those types of rigs.

The LMT looks awesome but I'm more about bashing and performance than I am about scale looks which I guess its why I've never bought any solid axle bashers. Thanks for sharing your experience with it though. :)

Losi has some great kits out there. Unfortunately its generally more of their racing level kits. I'm not sure about the LMT but I know the DBXL-E and the Rock Rey dont have a lot of aftermarket part support for them probably because theyre not overly popular kits I'm guessing. They used to make a great MT but ever since they dumped the LST2/XXL line I dont think they really offer a strong contender in the MT department anymore. can't go wrong with the Losi 8ight, 8ight-T or the Ten-SCTE though. Those are all great kits if you're into those types of rigs.

I think high initial cost and being less durable than let's say an Xmaxx, leads to less support since people don't want to push on them as hard. When you spend a decent junk of change on something, you'll be less inclined to beat on it. Like Lexus owners, they are very reliable vehicles but they're typically maintained better than other brands. I think they offer some cool stuff, but like you I think I enjoy the bashing aspect a lot more than the scale looks. I would still like to try a dbxl-e eventually but it's definitely down my list until I get some other trucks.

I have the Son of a Digger Losi LMT and I have to say I love it. Its fast on 3S (36 mph) and it can do some scale like tricks that make it fun to bash with. This is not your typical basher. Without a front bumper though you do have to be careful not to crash it head on into something or you will break the front body or lights. It is also top heavy so you have to be careful when making fast turns.

Some of the modifications I did was replace the steering servo with a Promodeler 635 and BEC bypass harness. That modification alone is amazing. That servo whips those large tires back and forth with authority and in silence too. I also have a censored hobbywing ESC and motor combo (3200 kv) waiting for a transplant but honestly the stock Spectrum motor and ESC works great. I also filled/reinforced the stock plastic axle housings with epoxy knowing that those are known to break in hard crashes and in the cold and I have the first generation axles. I also added shock limiters because the shocks are also known to break away at the endlink in hard crashes where the heavy unsprung weight of the axles over extends the suspension.

If you’re looking for a bulletproof basher like the Aarma Craton or Traxxas Xmax then the Losi LMT is not it, but if you’re looking for something unique that can do some monster truck like tricks just like the real thing then this RC is it. I also like the aluminum ladder frame, huge monster truck tires, and caged body. The battery strap is easy to apply over the battery if you pull the rubber strap and pinch it with your finger tight to the top of the battery. You then let the end of it fall over the catch and let it go with your finger on top and it easily hooks every time. Just do the reverse for removal.

Last edited:
I have the Son of a Digger Losi LMT and I have to say I love it. Its fast on 3S (36 mph) and it can do some scale like tricks that make it fun to bash with. This is not your typical basher. Without a front bumper though you do have to be careful not to crash it head on into something or you will break the front body or lights. It is also top heavy so you have to be careful when making fast turns.

Some of the modifications I did was replace the steering servo with a Promodeler 635 and BEC bypass harness. That modification alone is amazing. That servo whips those large tires back and forth with authority and in silence too. I also have a censored hobbywing ESC and motor combo (3200 kv) waiting for a transplant but honestly the stock Spectrum motor and ESC works great. I also filled/reinforced the stock plastic axle housings with epoxy knowing that those are known to break in hard crashes and in the cold and I have the first generation axles. I also added shock limiters because the shocks are also known to break away at the endlink in hard crashes where the heavy unsprung weight of the axles over extends the suspension.

If you’re looking for a bulletproof basher like the Aarma Craton or Traxxas Xmax then the Losi LMT is not it, but if you’re looking for something unique that can do some monster truck like tricks just like the real thing then this RC is it. I also like the aluminum ladder frame, huge monster truck tires, and caged body. The battery strap is easy to apply over the battery if you pull the rubber strap and pinch it with your finger tight to the top of the battery. You then let the end of it fall over the catch and let it go with your finger on top and it easily hooks every time. Just do the reverse for removal.

I probably need to do the epoxy mod. I'm having more fun with it now. I brought it and a few other rigs out and everyone loved the LMT more than anything else. I don't think the servo has much life left in it, the main gear is actually wobbling. It's definitely a fun bouncy truck.

Check the screw that holds the servo arm on. mine would back out until I added lock tight blue and the screw was too long, bottoming out before it tightened the servo arm and servo saver. The Promodeler servos are in my opinion some of the best on the market. https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Check the screw that holds the servo arm on. mine would back out until I added lock tight blue and the screw was too long, bottoming out before it tightened the servo arm and servo saver. The Promodeler servos are in my opinion some of the best on the market. https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Too long a screw might be the issue. It's definitely tight but still wobbly.

Lets us know what you find. That was how mine was and a shorter screw solved the issue.

Hopefully take a look at it tomorrow.

The stock servo and saver are trash imo. I put a 35kg Amazon special with a treal saver and she’s mint now. 👍
All for about $60-65

I'm running a Amazon special 35kg in my outcast exb and it has done well.

I like my LMT a lot, but pretty much all of your cons are common issues with it. I coated the underside of the body with a rubberized undercoating meant for car chassis' and that took care of the paint chipping and strengthened the body at the same time. I installed a Bowhouse battery tray, which lowers the battery in the chassis a lot, thereby lowering the center of gravity, and it has a normal strap. Out of the box, mine had its own set of durability issues, the stock servo is terrible, and I think it's a bit underpowered. It's currently getting ready to undergo a complete overhaul with a bunch of treal parts and other upgrades, mostly just because I can't leave well enough alone, and my goal is to have a SUPER durable monster truck. I'll admit though, with what I'll have in this truck by the time it's all said and done (close to $3k)...I don't think most people would be willing to spend the money, and I won't like...its not "worth" that kind of money (well, to me it is, but I'm an upgrade junkie).

I like my LMT a lot, but pretty much all of your cons are common issues with it. I coated the underside of the body with a rubberized undercoating meant for car chassis' and that took care of the paint chipping and strengthened the body at the same time. I installed a Bowhouse battery tray, which lowers the battery in the chassis a lot, thereby lowering the center of gravity, and it has a normal strap. Out of the box, mine had its own set of durability issues, the stock servo is terrible, and I think it's a bit underpowered. It's currently getting ready to undergo a complete overhaul with a bunch of treal parts and other upgrades, mostly just because I can't leave well enough alone, and my goal is to have a SUPER durable monster truck. I'll admit though, with what I'll have in this truck by the time it's all said and done (close to $3k)...I don't think most people would be willing to spend the money, and I won't like...its not "worth" that kind of money (well, to me it is, but I'm an upgrade junkie).

At the end of the day, what matters is if you enjoy it. Regardless of the hobby, there will always be "it's not worth that" "must be nice to be able to do that" "you don't know what you're doing" etc. The treal parts look fantastic. But to me, those upgrades aren't worth it for this truck but I definitely see the value in them. But hell, that's subject to change. I like the truck but I don't wanna break it haha. So maybe there will be a series of upgrades.

I definitely like doing upgrades, regardless of what it is honestly. RC cars, the house, TV, full sizes cars etc. There's something satisfying about upgrading something with your own hands.

The treal parts look fantastic. But to me, those upgrades aren't worth it for this truck but I definitely see the value in them. But hell, that's subject to change. I like the truck but I don't wanna break it haha. So maybe there will be a series of upgrades.
They are spendy no doubt! I can say tho, after you make the plunge it makes it almost bombproof. I jump the crap out of it without hesitation now. The stock housings were getting pretty annoying!

Now I need to upgrade the other one.. 🤪
I want rear steer on that one tho.

Back