Losi 3XL-E

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhbailey24

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Does anyone have this truck? Any pros or cons I should know about? I've never owned a Losi product. I got it for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to see what it can do. There's 14" of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps. Other than going through the diffs, I haven't read anything bad about this truck. Some of the YouTubers ran it without reading the manual about the power and punch settings. Once they figured out the settings it became a beast. Only mod so far was replacing the front body post with round proline screw on mounts. More of a convenience feature than a performance mod.
20180106_122410.jpg

Does anyone have this truck? Any pros or cons I should know about? I've never owned a Losi product. I got it for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to see what it can do. There's 14" of snow on the ground and sub-zero temps. Other than going through the diffs, I haven't read anything bad about this truck. Some of the YouTubers ran it without reading the manual about the power and punch settings. Once they figured out the settings it became a beast. Only mod so far was replacing the front body post with round proline screw on mounts. More of a convenience feature than a performance mod.
View attachment 14579

I own the truck. I actually won it in a raffle on Gary's Youtube channel, KillerOffRoadHobbyz.

I like the truck a lot -- it's definitely a huge beast, and I love the looks of it. I ran it a few times before it became so cold here in PA that I didn't want to go outside much. :confused:

When Gary was testing it, he noticed that the EC5 connectors were sometimes having trouble maintaining a reliable throughput of current. The power would cut out before he hit full throttle. I've had the same issue, although it hasn't really ruined my playtime. I'm currently trying to figure out why this might be happening.

I'm not sure if the issue is just limited to this particular truck (manufacturing glitch, maybe?) or if it's endemic to these vehicles in general. I'll be interested to see if you have the same problem when you run it.

Other than that, this truck is a solid platform thus far!

Thanks for the insight and congratulations on winning the K.O.R.H. raffle. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to run the truck. I bought batteries with EC5 connectors to avoid the cut offs Gary experienced. Hope that helps and this doesn't become an issue.

Thanks for the insight and congratulations on winning the K.O.R.H. raffle. I'll update this thread once I've had a chance to run the truck. I bought batteries with EC5 connectors to avoid the cut offs Gary experienced. Hope that helps and this doesn't become an issue.

Thanks! I've now had a chance to run the truck a few more times, and no more battery glitching issues. I think it's a pretty good truck so far.

Rumor around the internet is that the diffs aren't too great.....Time will tell on that one.

I finally ran the truck today. Glad to report no esc glitches. This truck is very similar to my nero in the way it drives. I'll have to do a side by side test. I'm really liking it so far, but this is only based on flat soccer field high speed passes. I haven't taken it to a bash spot yet. Bought a diff maintenance kit just in case the internet rumors are true. Only time will tell.

From what Gary said the new centre diff is supposed to help alleviate the front and rear diff issues that people experienced on the previous version. So, other than the price point and the chassis mounted connectors he really liked the truck. Post some updates. I think it looks like a sweet RC.

Rumor around the internet is that the diffs aren't too great.....Time will tell on that one.

That's surprising, at least for the front/rear diffs. I had an aftershock many years ago. About 5 gallons in, I replaced the diff cups with the upgraded ones with steel inserts for the x-pins. I probably ran 20 gallons through that rig, most of which with an LRP28 and never opened the diffs after that first time. For a long time, people were sniping those diffs to put in their revo's with a lot of modding to get them to fit so they could run 6S without grenading diffs.

So the weather is finally nice around here again and I've had a chance to run the LST a lot more. For anyone who's interested, here are my impressions thus far:

1. This truck has a surprising amount of power. Took me a little while to get used to it, but it's a blast on 6S.

2. It's reasonably tough. I've put it through a number of rough tumbles and crashes without any breakage.

3. No diff issues --- yet. Fingers crossed on that.

4. The suspension is great, of course --- the LSTs are known for that.

5. I think the handling is good. It's not as nimble and stable as something like a Kraton, but it's decent for such a big monster truck.

6. I've started having a weird glitch with the controls: the truck will occasionally start moving forwards without any throttle input at all. I've tried adjusting the throttle trim to no avail, I've replaced the transmitter batteries, I've re-bound the radio to the ESC multiple times. Anyone else have this issue?

On the whole, I like the truck and am looking forward to bashing it some more this summer. I wouldn't pay $700 for it, but I think it's a keeper if purchased for less.

1. This truck has a surprising amount of power. Took me a little while to get used to it, but it's a blast on 6S.
Once the punch is adjusted in the esc and the remote is turned to high mode, this truck becomes a beast.

2. It's reasonably tough. I've put it through a number of rough tumbles and crashes without any breakage.
I agree, the tires sometimes rub the body. I lined the lower body with gorrilla tape due to the rubbing.

3. No diff issues --- yet. Fingers crossed on that.
I haven’t experienced any either. I have a diff kit just in case, but its been trouble free so far.

4. The suspension is great, of course --- the LSTs are known for that.
This truck has one of the best MT suspensions on the market. It soaks up huge jumps and lands like its on pillows. Reminds me of riding a 450 motorcross bike.

6. I've started having a weird glitch with the controls: the truck will occasionally start moving forwards without any throttle input at all. I've tried adjusting the throttle trim to no avail, I've replaced the transmitter batteries, I've re-bound the radio to the ESC multiple times. Anyone else have this issue?
I have noticed this only when I’ve turned on the esc before turning on the remote. Also check your receiver antenna to see if there’s any interference near it. After installing the telemetry kit, i haven’t experienced this anymore.

I have noticed this only when I’ve turned on the esc before turning on the remote. Also check your receiver antenna to see if there’s any interference near it. After installing the telemetry kit, i haven’t experienced this anymore.

Interesting. It happens for me when I turn on the remote before the ESC too. It's really intermittent --- doesn't happen every time. I've also noticed that the truck intermittently doesn't want to go into reverse either.

It's only a minor annoyance --- I might just live with it for now. I want to replace the radio and receiver with my own stuff anyway.

Have you tried calibrating your remote. The spektrum remote is finicky. There is a step by step caibration process on YouTube. If you haven't calibrated, I suggest you try that. PM me if you're have issues with the calibration process.

Have you tried calibrating your remote. The spektrum remote is finicky. There is a step by step caibration process on YouTube. If you haven't calibrated, I suggest you try that. PM me if you're have issues with the calibration process.

I haven't done that yet. Good idea. I"ll check Youtube and let you know if I have any questions. Thanks!

So a little update, for the small handful of us who have this truck:

Calibrating the ESC helps eliminate any glitching or cutouts in the powertrain.

Also, the stock steering servo is feeling a bit underpowered to me. Has anyone found a servo upgrade which will fit in this truck? I've been looking around and haven't found much in a similar size. The closest I've found is the Savox SW-0240MG: https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-...cale-servo-high-voltage-sav-sw-0240mg/p402265

But that servo is 66 mm long, while the Losi stock servo is 59 mm long.

I don't wanna spend $100 for it and then find out I can't make it fit.

Last edited:
Does it still run the dual servos? If so, the main issue with the LST servo strength wasn't so much the servos as it was the servo saver being soft. To help combat it, you can add more steel bands to it to make the saver a bit stiffer. At least that's what we did on the LST* series.

Does it still run the dual servos? If so, the main issue with the LST servo strength wasn't so much the servos as it was the servo saver being soft. To help combat it, you can add more steel bands to it to make the saver a bit stiffer. At least that's what we did on the LST* series.

Nah, the LST 3XL-E runs one servo. Even when the truck's standing still, it feels slow to turn the wheels.

I can try stiffening the servo saver, but I'm still curious if I can put a better servo in. At some point I'm probably gonna have to replace the stock servo anyway.

Nah, the LST 3XL-E runs one servo. Even when the truck's standing still, it feels slow to turn the wheels.

I can try stiffening the servo saver, but I'm still curious if I can put a better servo in. At some point I'm probably gonna have to replace the stock servo anyway.
Sorry, didn't realize they redesigned it that much. Just looked at some close up photo's of it. Glad they ditched the 2 servo/on servo saver setup of old. I hated that mess. Was surprised when they did it since Losi was always more of a "racing" company that they make a nice MT and put a garbage servo setup on it.

That said, .216sec @6v is pretty slow.

Out of the blue, I was wondering if you are the same person as Chevy-SS from the now non existent Monster GT forum? I just got back into RC a couple months ago. 10 years ago the LST2 was THE truck to have. It still looks like a great truck (despite the ugliest body ever, haha) Times have changed though with the addition of companies and new MT's on the market

Out of the blue, I was wondering if you are the same person as Chevy-SS from the now non existent Monster GT forum? I just got back into RC a couple months ago. 10 years ago the LST2 was THE truck to have. It still looks like a great truck (despite the ugliest body ever, haha) Times have changed though with the addition of companies and new MT's on the market
Nope, not me. I usually try to use a userid like olds97_lss or olds97lss on all the forums I visit. I had an aftershock quite a few years back that I did a lot of upgrading to by the time I got rid of it. Got tired of fighting with the 2-speed jamming up on me even with the LST2 setup. My first big issue was snapping chassis rails every time I bashed. Replacing those was a chore. Made a custom skid plate to connect the front to the center which resolved that issue. Then a custom roll bar to keep the body from busting in half every other week, 4mm shock top mod, gear flip mod, center skid that protected the trans input shaft (bent a couple of those too), +2 RC Monster pinions, RPM arms, lunsford turnbuckles... lots of stuff to make it tough as nails, but still ended up fighting with the 2-speed.

I just ordered the savox SW-0240MG. I am hoping it fits. The stock S904 failed after 2 sessions. Horizon hobbies site says that the stock servo is back ordered and should be shipping early August. So I might have a $550 paperweight for a few months. Such BS. It can sit next to my rustler that had the servo fail after 2 weeks of use and the replacement has been back ordered for weeks

I just ordered the savox SW-0240MG. I am hoping it fits. The stock S904 failed after 2 sessions. Horizon hobbies site says that the stock servo is back ordered and should be shipping early August. So I might have a $550 paperweight for a few months. Such BS. It can sit next to my rustler that had the servo fail after 2 weeks of use and the replacement has been back ordered for weeks

You'll have to post an update on how this goes. I really want to replace the stock servo with something better, but there are so few servos on the market which seem to fit.

Back