Looking for some input on purchasing an RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigsfocus

RCTalk Member
Active Military
Reaction score
Been looking around at RC's because I am looking to get into the hobby. I like the T-Maxx and thought I had my mind made up. Then I got to browsing the forum and I like the look and the way its built of the HPI Savage XL. I am looking for a reliable, fast, durable RC Truck that can deal with a good thrashing. I am also looking at the cost and availability of aftermarket mods. I have also been looking around for a Ram 1500 body and can't find one for either model.

Which one would be better suited for me? I placed this thread in this forum because I think I will get hits from both groups of owners of each model.

Parts availability for both the tmaxx and savage will be about the same, very easy to get. I've not owned a Savage but read non stop that they are durable. The Tmaxx on the other hand is a huge pile of junk in my opinion when it comes to durability, power and being very cost efficient.

I own HPI savage's Tmaxx's and revo's also mgt 4.6. I have owned pretty much everything out there. The tmaxx is a great rig, on the other hand the savage is also a great rig. After market parts are equal on both. i enjoy my Tmaxx's the most. My opinion the maxx is easier to work on. But my revo's have been the best trucks I have ever had. if I were to purchase a new truck it would deff be a new 3.3 Revo. Everyone is going to have there own opinion. My brother is hardcore savage guy, but my revo will smoke it all day long in speed and handling.
:D

High speed Low Drag:whhooo:

Tmaxx takes way more hop ups to be as durable as the Savage out of the box. I hear a lot of people complain that the Savage XL engine isnt that great though. I have an X myself so I've never used that XL motor. That being said I would recommend either a Savage or a Losi XXL if you got a few extra bucks. The XXL probably doesn't have quite as much after market support as the Savage but it has a decent amount and with a few hop ups can be made very durable as well.

Hi,
Ah, as I can only speak to Savage X 4.6, so I will. It's a great model, plenty of power, speed and very awesome looks, all though it is a Special Limited Edition hpi 106364.
It's a lot of fun, where it counts....

Chas

I'd put a vote in for the Savage X, XL or revo 3.3.

I've had quite a few MT's as well and currently run a savage X and revo 3.3. Out of all the ones I've had, these are the top 2 for durability and bashability.

If your going to be running in grass a lot, I'd suggest the savage due to it having a big block and will be more capable of dealing with the extra drag grass applies. If it's usually short grass, then it's a toss up. If big air (+5 feet under the truck frequently) is what your after, then I'd go savage.

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies. I will start my hunt for a nice used or new Savage XL. Being that I live in an apartment there is an area that is flat where people can walk their dogs but no one ever does, its mowed grass. But I plan on taking it with me to work on base because they have a dirt trail for ATV's that has some good areas for jumps.

i have a pair of Maxx's and really enjoy bashing both of them. my buddy has a new revo 3.3 and it far out performs my T maxx. but they are both fun to run and hold up quite well to abuse. enjoy what ever you rig you get !!!!

I have been on the hunt for the past few days for a HPI Savage XL. I think I may have found a nice used one. I have been reading up across the forum and have read alot on the K5.9, alot of people don't have much nice to say about that engine. So by the sounds of it, I will be looking to upgrade the engine eventually. I am hoping to get some decent life out of the K5.9. With the proper tuning and care, will the K5.9 crap out on me? Or is it difficult to hold a tune? A LRP ZR32 Spec 3 is in order in the future.

Nice to see someone else here from austin! I have a savage XL and Revo and you can't go wrong with an XL. It is by far my favorite rig that I own and I have over 6 gallons in it without a single breakage.

What base are you on, ft hood? I live in leander but work in killeen everyday. I have an awesome bash spot in my area if you want to get together and beat the crap out of some trucks!

---------- Post added at 6:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:45 PM ----------

I have been on the hunt for the past few days for a HPI Savage XL. I think I may have found a nice used one. I have been reading up across the forum and have read alot on the K5.9, alot of people don't have much nice to say about that engine. So by the sounds of it, I will be looking to upgrade the engine eventually. I am hoping to get some decent life out of the K5.9. With the proper tuning and care, will the K5.9 crap out on me? Or is it difficult to hold a tune? A LRP ZR32 Spec 3 is in order in the future.

With the right fuel/glowplug and a good tune the 5.9 is an excellent engine. It does take a little to get used to but after you get it dialed in you will not have any problems from it at all other than being a little thirsty.

Nice to see someone else here from austin! I have a savage XL and Revo and you can't go wrong with an XL. It is by far my favorite rig that I own and I have over 6 gallons in it without a single breakage.

What base are you on, ft hood? I live in leander but work in killeen everyday. I have an awesome bash spot in my area if you want to get together and beat the crap out of some trucks!

---------- Post added at 6:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:45 PM ----------

With the right fuel/glowplug and a good tune the 5.9 is an excellent engine. It does take a little to get used to but after you get it dialed in you will not have any problems from it at all other than being a little thirsty.

I am based at Fort Hood. I pass through Leander every morning. A get together would be sweet. I have been looking around for a area close to me just for a bash spot. I was starting to wonder if there was anyone on here from the Austin area.

I lost the XL I was bidding on by $5. :\ Now I am back in the hunt for one.

Yeah there arent many nitro guys left around here. It seems most of the bashers went to brushless and dumped their nitro rigs.

Sounds like we make the same drive up 183 every morning.

I just made the jump to brushless on one of my rigs. I had been out of the hobby for many years before i bought my new XL. Now I like nitro... but I've fallen in love with brushless. my next project will be putting a tekin system in my XL.. once my lrp .30 dies on me. So I may have a while.. lol

i have both the savage xl and the tmaxx... they are both fun veh i prefer the savage as it can go any ware through the weeds and all while the tmaxx seems to get tangled up more... the oly reason i would suggest the tmaxx is if you plan on running at all around your apartment you may want to go with the max its a bit quieter.. i have already been given crap from my landlord for running around with the savage but the max he does not seem to care... the only reason I'm running the max right now is in the savage i must have knocked the carb loose and broke the seal when i flipped it upside down as it refused to run afterwards so i have pulled the engine apart and all is good so I'm just waiting for a gasket kit and ill be back up and running. the savage is a durable beast as i have seen it do barell rolls down the street a dozen at a time and land on its wheels and drive away the first day i had it i tboned a fence pole at full speed and had no damage except for a broken bumper... eater way you go you will be happy with your choice... their is nothing like a nitro

Yeah there arent many nitro guys left around here. It seems most of the bashers went to brushless and dumped their nitro rigs.

Sounds like we make the same drive up 183 every morning.

LOL! We do. I am not a fan of Brushless. With speed, there is noise. I love tinkering with Mechanical stuff.

---------- Post added at 1:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:39 AM ----------

I just made the jump to brushless on one of my rigs. I had been out of the hobby for many years before i bought my new XL. Now I like nitro... but I've fallen in love with brushless. my next project will be putting a tekin system in my XL.. once my lrp .30 dies on me. So I may have a while.. lol

That may be a while. Those LRP engines sound pretty durable from my research.

---------- Post added at 1:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:41 AM ----------

i have both the savage xl and the tmaxx... they are both fun veh i prefer the savage as it can go any ware through the weeds and all while the tmaxx seems to get tangled up more... the oly reason i would suggest the tmaxx is if you plan on running at all around your apartment you may want to go with the max its a bit quieter.. i have already been given crap from my landlord for running around with the savage but the max he does not seem to care... the only reason I'm running the max right now is in the savage i must have knocked the carb loose and broke the seal when i flipped it upside down as it refused to run afterwards so i have pulled the engine apart and all is good so I'm just waiting for a gasket kit and ill be back up and running. the savage is a durable beast as i have seen it do barell rolls down the street a dozen at a time and land on its wheels and drive away the first day i had it i tboned a fence pole at full speed and had no damage except for a broken bumper... eater way you go you will be happy with your choice... their is nothing like a nitro

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate your input on the sound of Savage vs the T-Maxx. I think my neighbors have faced the fact that my toys are loud. My 2012 Ford Focus has a pretty loud exhaust on it.:D

I have found another Nitro rig I have drawn some interest to. It has my peak interest for a awesome project a little later down the line. I am working on getting it maybe tomorrow.

Eventhough you sound very mechanically inclined I would go new on a Savage XL. Sometimes there's just too much of a headache going used. Good luck and welcome to our addicting hobby.

Eventhough you sound very mechanically inclined I would go new on a Savage XL. Sometimes there's just too much of a headache going used. Good luck and welcome to our addicting hobby.

I noticed this when I was looking around on ebay. Alot of people beat the crap out of them (which is fine) but they don't take care of them as far as maintenance.

I think the two biggest maintenance items in Nitros are air filter maintenance and after run oil. For me that means cleaning around the carb and glow plug after every run and cleaning the air filter every 5 to 10 tanks.

I would also add to that cleaning the air filter at the end of a day running.

your local hobby shop is more important than the brand of R/C. note i said LOCAL hobby shop. just ask around.

Back