Looking for some gearing help for my drag slash build help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoster

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I built a drag slash and I have a castle creations 6400kv no prep motor and a mamba monster x eac

Hey man. I had a drag car for a few months. I couldn’t tell you what is the best gearing but I’d recommend getting 4 different spur gears and a pinon gear “kit” aka a whole bunch of different ones in a set. Again. So you can find the best one.

You should always remember this when gearing your rigs.

Bigger pinion and smaller spur = faster but less torque

Smaller pinion and bigger spur = slower but more torque.

It’s a pain to find that right balance and having to add temps, esc cutting ETC to it. Best of luck and happy new year!

I built a drag slash and I have a castle creations 6400kv no prep motor and a mamba monster x eac
Gearing is just another tuning option. As Addict said, grab a couple different spurs and a whole set of pinions and start testing. Make sure you keep an eye on motor, esc, and battery temps.

Drag slash ok how many feet 132' ? if yes no need to worry about motor temps. whats the smallest spur you can buy for that slash? id go with a hardened steel one. and then the largest ? 32 teeth on my drag car with a 6800 kv.also a 42 tooth spur. and those 2 cell Drag pack batteries are awesome . well worth the investment.
I also run a 2.Turn TOPS brushed motor with a KO VFS 1.2 it has 1200amps of power and many different settings on esc .I had to jump up to the QS 8 connector but still have heat in them when I do a run
I have 8 different Drag RC from 1/14 scale to 1/6 scale..theres a few more racing . things one might need to know.Can you limit your brake amount? I run about 12% brakes ,and I have slower steering servos with restricted endpoints.
good luck. hope you got a aluminum trans case..

Last edited:
Right now I have a 25t pinion and a 76 spur gear the driveway I’m testing on has expansion joint and a textured cement I was able to get 41 mph but if I launch to hard it spins out quickly

Back