Looking for adjustable height rudder

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajac63

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Are there any adjustable height rudders; that is where you can adjust the height of the steering arm or tiller. Must be the type of rudder that goes through the bottom of the hull! I've looked for this all over but can't find anything :/

Are there any adjustable height rudders; that is where you can adjust the height of the steering arm or tiller. Must be the type of rudder that goes through the bottom of the hull! I've looked for this all over but can't find anything :/

The arm on your shaft is a fixed one?

If so ,they sell the arms with the set screw ,if you are able to remove the stock one some how by cutting it off or
pressing it off ,you should be able to put a new arm on ,unless you need a longer shaft!

You should be able to buy an after market rudder assmbly ,that stuff is everywhere in the boating RC world!
I never seen an enternal rudder in a boat ,most high performance boats ,the rudders & turn fins are mounted
on the outside of the hull ,so ,you may have to modify it!

I will look around for you an see what I can come up with!..:cool:

I think what he is looking 4 is like a sailboats keel..I have seen some on full size real boats that have the ability to retract and extend but never as a keel to do the turning...

I think what he is looking 4 is like a sailboats keel..I have seen some on full size real boats that have the ability to retract and extend but never as a keel to do the turning...

Ah ,thinking back ,with my boats ,I did have a through the hull rudder & stuffing tube out the bottom ,but I had purchased
the Graupner 700 turbo flex system for it that had the rudder hardware kit to mount on the back of the boat ,an
used epoxy to plug off the holes from the old system!

The arm on your shaft is a fixed one?

If so ,they sell the arms with the set screw ,if you are able to remove the stock one some how by cutting it off or
pressing it off ,you should be able to put a new arm on ,unless you need a longer shaft!

You should be able to buy an after market rudder assmbly ,that stuff is everywhere in the boating RC world!
I never seen an enternal rudder in a boat ,most high performance boats ,the rudders & turn fins are mounted
on the outside of the hull ,so ,you may have to modify it!

I will look around for you an see what I can come up with!..:cool:
OK, thanks for helping! No, it's not fixed - I haven't got it yet, that's why I'm looking for one, but I want the arm or tiller to be adjustable. Problem is, that most rudders that go through the bottom of the hull tend to have a sleeve around the spindle/shaft that prevents you from pushing the arm further down.

OFFSHORE ELECTRICS has a big section on rudders

Thanks once again everyone for all your help and useful pointers - and sorry for late reply, only I've had a lot to do... Anyway, I finally found the type of rudder I had in mind which still has a casing around the spindle, but is of a kind of plastic that is easy to cut down with a sharp knife, so I should be able to adjust the height of the tiller. Now I just have to source a 90mm EDF with suitable KV rating, a low profile servo, an esc and radio. ;)

eBayRuddrPic2.png

Last edited:
Back