Look what I got - New Restoration Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20220406_220155_HDR.jpg

It says half turn from idle screw, LSN is not idle screw. If it doesn't say anything about LSN setting, I will just use my best judgement, first make sure fuel can go thru first when throttle is closed, then starting to close a 1/8 turn at at time to adjust it.
Sorry, my mistake, I think it was talking about the idle screw.

In this manual they refer to LSN as "idle mixture screw"
What engine is that?

Is that a Kyosho, I see its a rotary car, unlike mine which is a slide version
Well tried to get it going today, it fires up, but starts only when I have full throttle open, as soon as it let go, and it returns to neutral car shuts down.
Idle gap is about 1mm, and throttle linkage is set up well.
it was spraying oil everywhere, and there was a lot of it left in the exhaust.
I think its just running way too rich. This is why I like to know what the factory needles settings are, so at least the car will start easy.

In the end after a few tries, and getting my daily work out, pull start broke, then there was some swearing and figuring out how to proceed.
And then a brilliant idea came to my mind. ROTOSTART!
Thought it would be impossible as the back plate is facing the driver and there is very little room.
It does work, its a bit under an angle, and the driver needs to be taken out to start the car, but its way better than pull start.
Will do a bit more tuning tomorrow and hopefully get it running.

This is why we love nitro after all, right!?

Attachments

• IMG_7309.JPG
    IMG_7309.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7310.JPG
    IMG_7310.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Well guys, after so many hrs spent wondering why it only starts with full throttle, and runs crap even then, I decided to swap the piston the other way around.

Go Kart now starts as it should, with just a small blip of rotostart.

I must say I am dissapointed in the Kyoshos manual. Piston was installed as per engines exploded view.

Expected way more from a Japanese standard.

Onto tuning today!

Update on what's going on...

Have completely disassembled the engine, and cleaned it with ultarsonic cleaner.
Engine came out like new.
All seals (needles, carb...etc) replaced as they were rock solid, and the only part I sealed with a silicone is backplate and the exhaust header.
Compression is very good, in fact, I am thinking it will break the pull cord, even with no fuel in the engine yet.
Left to do is set up radio gear and make sure throttle linkage is spot on.
I will use a traxxas receiver.

Oh, and the traxxas carb slide dustboot was a direct fit as well, which was a nice surprise.

Some photos...
Hell yeah man. Nicely done sir. Have you gotten. A chance to fire it up? I need some warm weather to fire up my duratrax restoration. Just waiting for some nice weather.
Well guys, after so many hrs spent wondering why it only starts with full throttle, and runs crap even then, I decided to swap the piston the other way around.

Go Kart now starts as it should, with just a small blip of rotostart.

I must say I am dissapointed in the Kyoshos manual. Piston was installed as per engines exploded view.

Expected way more from a Japanese standard.

Onto tuning today!
That's awesome glad it fires up easily for ya. Now the fun begins TUNING...👍👍

Hell yeah man. Nicely done sir. Have you gotten. A chance to fire it up? I need some warm weather to fire up my duratrax restoration. Just waiting for some nice weather.

That's awesome glad it fires up easily for ya. Now the fun begins TUNING...👍👍

Finding this engine a bit hard to fine tune, it just seems sluggish and rich all the time, and I am far away (leaner) from recommended needle settings, but plenty of smoke and temps are around 120C.

As I said, it so sluggish compared to a TRX engine that I am used to, maybe the engine is just like that.
I thought because the kart is quite light it will fly with it.

You know what else I noticed, its the the same thing as my Mini Cooper, the wheels are wobbling at high speed, I am not sure if this is because of TSM, or the road. Both cars sit so low to the ground, maybe less than 1cm clearance, and our roads are slightly higher in the middle for water drainage, now I whenever a car goes over the middle of the road, wheels will wobble, and I think you are right, maybe the wheels are in the air at that moment.

Finding this engine a bit hard to fine tune, it just seems sluggish and rich all the time, and I am far away (leaner) from recommended needle settings, but plenty of smoke and temps are around 120C.

As I said, it so sluggish compared to a TRX engine that I am used to, maybe the engine is just like that.

You know what else I noticed, its the the same thing as my Mini Cooper, the wheels are wobbling at high speed, I am not sure if this is because of TSM, or the road. Both cars sit so low to the ground, maybe less than 1cm clearance, and our roads are slightly higher in the middle for water drainage, now I whenever a car goes over the middle of the road, wheels will wobble, and I think you are right, maybe the wheels are in the air at that moment.
What fuel you running in it? And what size engine is it?

You could try getting a stronger servo. Might help with the front wheels moven around. Maken it stronger might not have as much slop/play in the servo...
correct

when you say "Heat" are you talking temperature or the fuel conditioner that goes in your gas tank?
Hey that fuel tank your looking for. Does it have red lid and primer built into it? And you still need a pull for the engine as well. Found this one the other day and thought of ya. Not sure if it's the exact one you need. Do you know what size the one way bearing is. 12mm 14mm ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-741...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
correct

when you say "Heat" are you talking temperature or the fuel conditioner that goes in your gas tank?
Hey that fuel tank your looking for. Does it have red lid and primer built into it? And you still need a pull for the engine as well. Found this one the other day and thought of ya. Not sure if it's the exact one you need. Do you know what size the one way bearing is. 12mm 14mm ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-741...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Sidewinder 20/12
Kyosho GZ15 engine
Hmm. What type exhaust and intake you got on it. Don't look like it gets alot of air. Looks like a tight fit under the lid. That all adds up in the way the engine will run.
Finally got my tires in for my Duratrax restoration
16496168161354646128633875605699.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. What type exhaust and intake you got on it. Don't look like it gets alot of air. Looks like a tight fit under the lid. That all adds up in the way the engine will run.
Finally got my tires in for my Duratrax restoration View attachment 145236

Is that a nitro rustler underneath?

Please have a look at the photos of the intake and the exhaust on the second page?

Is it possible because that intake is so long + exhaust length + I added a small tubing to direct the oil spray away from the body, that performance is impacted?

Attachments

• IMG_7305.JPG
    IMG_7305.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 35
Still having a bit of an issue tuning this little guy.

It runs quite well, as least I think is tuned well and idles well.

BUT, there is quite a bit of oil drippage when idling and when I apply full throttle to clear it....

I not sure if its HSN or LSN that is too rich, but as I said it runs well.

Still having a bit of an issue tuning this little guy.

It runs quite well, as least I think is tuned well and idles well.

BUT, there is quite a bit of oil drippage when idling and when I apply full throttle to clear it....

I not sure if its HSN or LSN that is too rich, but as I said it runs well.

Probably your Lsn. , you could just lean it s little an if the idle raises ,just adjust your idle screw to match to lower
the idle back down ,until your happy with it ,if the engine is happy an stays running with on & off throttle with
good temp ,then your golden ,it doesn't have to be perfect!..👍😎

Probably your Lsn. , you could just lean it s little an if the idle raises ,just adjust your idle screw to match to lower
the idle back down ,until your happy with it ,if the engine is happy an stays running with on & off throttle with
good temp ,then your golden ,it doesn't have to be perfect!..👍😎

Thanks for your comment.

My idle is already at less than 0.5 mm, it is quite small already.

I noticed that lowering the idle and richening LSN did not decreased the idle, so I figured it was the HSN that was lean, as it was preventing changes to LSN.
Also the take off is snappy and crisp, after letting it idle for a few secs, which makes me think LSN is ok?

You are right, doesn't have to be perfect, its just adjust to a new engine for me, I am so familiar with traxxas, that every other engine if behaving differently, something must be off, me thinks.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment.

My idle is already at less than 0.5 mm, it is quite small already.

I noticed that lowering the idle and richening LSN did not decreased the idle, so I figured it was the HSN that was rich, as it was preventing changes to LSN.

Probably so ,because the Hsn is the main fuel flow needle!..👍
I just gathered it might be the lsn because a lot of people won't hardly touch it..😂

Well boys and girls, its finally tuned and running great. Runs a bit rich, but thats how I like it. Temps are are around 120C (250F).
Great return to idle too.
I was starting to doubt my tuning skills!
Those beautifully oily spots on he road are made by us :)
Enjoy!

Well boys and girls, its finally tuned and running great. Runs a bit rich, but thats how I like it. Temps are are around 120C (250F).
Great return to idle too.
I was starting to doubt my tuning skills!
Those beautifully oily spots on he road are made by us :)
Enjoy!

Sounds great ,you did a great job on the tune & restoration ,love it!..👌👍😎

Nice find and great job bringing it back to pristine condition! It’s a good thing they are no longer available because I’d be clicking the “submit” button on a purchase this afternoon. 😂

Thank you!

I agree, its tuned perfectly, the engine is still sluggish, not sure why, maybe its a feeling because its belt driven?

Nah ,its good ,probably loading up when sitting an idling ,but it being a little rich is a good thing ,maybe
be able to buy those F1 formula tires to replace the bad ones ,might fit but not sure ,a worth checking
them out!..👍😎