Look what I got - New Restoration Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gandalfnz, I'd take every bit of it apart and clean and rebuild it as factory as possible. I love that kind of stuff - great find! Be very-very careful with that fuel cell, I was rebuilding a Kyosho Nitro Boat and broke the plunger on the fuel cell - impossible to find, I am always on the prowl. That and the recoil are hard to find parts.
Thanks!

By fuel cell. do you mean the fuel tank?

not to speak on anyones behalf, but yes to your question

Is that a Kyosho kart?
It's a Taiyo Edge. This is what it looked like stock. I extended the rear, gutted the gearbox and used the housing for my motor mount.
eBay is littered with them for a wide variety of prices & condition. $60 will buy a used one,with driver but without the remote right now on eBay.
20210725_142435.jpg
20210725_142412.jpg
20210725_142527.jpg
20220206_072907.jpg
I don't believe these are rare or valuable, I just like converting toys. Did I mention my brushless outrunner converted snowmobile lol. That one came out good and was quite a challenge.
20220131_183213.jpg

i have a toy grade car i want to convert to hobby grade electronics but dont know if i can and not f up trying...
Looks like you have experience!

i have a toy grade car i want to convert to hobby grade electronics but dont know if i can and not f up trying...
These are the only two I've done but it's not too bad. You just just got to let the saw and the drill get together with some imagination and see what happens lol. I'm not doing anything special.

Soak the carb in WD40. That should soften up and rejuvenate that carb boot. After you remove any of the plastic parts from the carb (not familiar with nitro here), maybe try some brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner on it to degumify it.
Heat always heat to de gum a nitro. And WD-40 silacone spray. Not just WD-40..
What is the best way to clean castor oil gunk?

Thanks
Where's the gunk. Heat
What type of toy grade. It all depends really.

correct

when you say "Heat" are you talking temperature or the fuel conditioner that goes in your gas tank?
I just meant to use a heat gun sorry. Should have been a little bit more clear. On what I meant. Sorry bud... with a gummed up engine heat is your best friend always... 👍👍
I have to find the links in had for you about the pull start and your looking for a new tank as well. I pretty sure I just saw a kyosho tank with red cap and primer pump. Let me look around in Phone and Laptop. Will PM you links about it when I find them.👍👍

I just meant to use a heat gun sorry. Should have been a little bit more clear. On what I meant. Sorry bud... with a gummed up engine heat is your best friend always... 👍👍
I have to find the links in had for you about the pull start and your looking for a new tank as well. I pretty sure I just saw a kyosho tank with red cap and primer pump. Let me look around in Phone and Laptop. Will PM you links about it when I find them.👍👍
not intending to squat on this restoration thread, but this is the recoil off that boat

Attachments

• Kyosho Recoil.jpg
    Kyosho Recoil.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 29
Dont worry about it, keeps the thread alive.
Sorry bud didn't mean to jump off topic. I love doing restorations got a couple I'm doing my self. Rc10s duratrax, kyosho. Definitely more interesting then buying rtr these days... need any parts or anything hit me up I'm also looking up parts my self bud...again sorry for derailing for a minute 👍👍

Hey Guys

Just before I put the engine together, cleaned it with ultrasonic cleaner, looks very nice.
I am confused as to which way the conrod lube hole is to be facing?

I thought its to face the front of the engine, like traxxas.
On the schematic for my engine GZ15 hole is facing away from the engine, or to the back, is this correct?

Thanks

1649194668606.png

Attachments

• IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7301.JPG
    IMG_7301.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 23
I rebuilt a Traxxas and a Kyosho but I just don't remember and have deleted the pictures.

I rebuilt a Traxxas and a Kyosho but I just don't remember and have deleted the pictures.
Are you able to tell me please, LSN on Kyosho engines, in manual it says only 1/2 turn out from fully closed?
Can it be? Only half a turn?

I must say Kyoshos engine manuals are crap. First it says 3.5 on HSN, then later it says 4.5 out.
Then on LSN, as you can see in the pic below, is it 1/2 turn out from fully closed, or 1/2 turn out from flush with the inner ridge?

1649235324509.png

Update on what's going on...

Have completely disassembled the engine, and cleaned it with ultarsonic cleaner.
Engine came out like new.
All seals (needles, carb...etc) replaced as they were rock solid, and the only part I sealed with a silicone is backplate and the exhaust header.
Compression is very good, in fact, I am thinking it will break the pull cord, even with no fuel in the engine yet.
Left to do is set up radio gear and make sure throttle linkage is spot on.
I will use a traxxas receiver.

Oh, and the traxxas carb slide dustboot was a direct fit as well, which was a nice surprise.

Some photos...

Attachments

• IMG_7301.JPG
    IMG_7301.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7299.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1649232708970885.JPG
    1649232708970885.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7304.JPG
    IMG_7304.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7305.JPG
    IMG_7305.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
It says half turn from idle screw, LSN is not idle screw. If it doesn't say anything about LSN setting, I will just use my best judgement, first make sure fuel can go thru first when throttle is closed, then starting to close a 1/8 turn at at time to adjust it.

Are you able to tell me please, LSN on Kyosho engines, in manual it says only 1/2 turn out from fully closed?
Can it be? Only half a turn?

I must say Kyoshos engine manuals are crap. First it says 3.5 on HSN, then later it says 4.5 out.
Then on LSN, as you can see in the pic below, is it 1/2 turn out from fully closed, or 1/2 turn out from flush with the inner ridge?

View attachment 144978
Well....I did rebuild it, but it is the one I broke the recoil on, so I have not been able to start it

It says half turn from idle screw, LSN is not idle screw. If it doesn't say anything about LSN setting, I will just use my best judgement, first make sure fuel can go thru first when throttle is closed, then starting to close a 1/8 turn at at time to adjust it.
Sorry, my mistake, I think it was talking about the idle screw.