lipo charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR4X4KING

I have more toys than I know what to do with.
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i have a question about lipo chargers.
i have 2 chargers the first one is a cellpro 4s which i have had for awhile and the other is a venom pro charger that i got from someone.
why do some chargers only use the balance taps to charge and others use the balance taps and power leads.
the cellprop charges off the balance tap and the venom uses both the tap and the leads.
is this just the charger manufacturer or what.
is one safer than the other?
is one charging better or worse than the other?
let me know thanks!

The venom gives you the option of just charging it, with the charge leads and not balancing at the same time...Thats why it has both. I only balance charge my big packs and only like every 5th charge or so.

when i use the venom i have to plug in both for it to work
i have tried the balance tap only like my other charger and it says error please check connections
when i plug them both in it works just fine

when i use the cellpro 4s i can charge and balnce the battery using the balance tap
very very simple

To balance charge you have to use both, the balance tabs and the charge, but to charge only, you only need the charge leads and the charger to be on "charge" and not "balance".

Not everyone wants to balance charge every time, I love having the choice.

cool what is the rule of thumb about balancing and how often

when i first bought lipos i went to a hobby shop and he explained alot to me and he set me up with the cellpro 4s and 2 balance boards for 99 bucks and showed me how it works and how to set it. he set it at 1C and told me leave it there never change it to more than that.
it charges and balances at the same time.he said you follow what i tell you and you will not have a problem, and i have perfect luck with this charger and my batteries.

this other charger from venom i have not really used and figured i would ask before i screwed up a lipo

i got a new battery and want to charge it up with the venom charger

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15046
this will make my xtm rail run pretty good

Last edited:
Yeah I never exceed 1c, thats something to always remember. On balancing though, lots of people have different rules about this. Some do it every time and say you "have" to. Some never do it. Like I said, I only do it about every 5 charges on larger packs. I do it on my smaller crawler packs (1000 mah) like every 10 charges or so. And all my packs have lasted great. I dont see a pack getting for enough unbalanced to need it every time...
But do what ever you want too. I guess if my charger didnt need both connections to balance charge and I wasn't as impatient as I am I prolly would every time too...

On the Venom and others that have separate leads, always plug the balance ports in last and unplug them first. One of my manuals had that in it and I really think that's why I had a couple of chargers fail.(one was a Venom)

i will look into that
i would not think that would make a difference if the battery is finished charging
i do not remember reading anything about that but who knows

Last edited:
Back