Lipo batteries storage (ammo box)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickpool

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to batteries and I want a safe place to store them so I can sleep peacefully lol.
I have seen some youtube videos where they use an ammunition box, the typical metallic green one.

I have wanted an ammo box for a long time since I like them, so now I have two reasons to buy one.

Basically I have a question that may seem stupid: hermetic closure or normal closure (not hermetic)?

On the one hand it seems better and more secure that it be hermetic, but could this cause the accumulation of smoke and gases in the box and an explosion, in case the battery burns?

Thanks have a good day!

I used to keep the gasket on my ammo boxes but not anymore. It has been pointed out that if there’s a catastrophic failure inside an airtight sealed ammo box then it potentially becomes a bomb 💣.

remove top seal and drill a vent hole in ammo box.here is my ammo box with a few extras.

lipo box.jpg

charge box open.jpg

lipo charge box.JPG

Agree. Drill a vent hole in the ammo can. That being said, LiPos are really only dangerous when they are in use or being charged. Once theyve been storage charged and theyve sat for a couple hours stably then they are relatively benign. Not saying dont store them in an ammo can if it makes you feel better but mainly you want to make sure you're charging/discharging them in the ammo can.

I bought an inexpensive metal fireplace ash can. The lid is fairly loose fitting. Enough that I can close it on the charger's power cord.

I don't know about ammo boxes but I use fireproof lipo bags for storing. And little charging bags for charging.

I bought an inexpensive metal fireplace ash can. The lid is fairly loose fitting. Enough that I can close it on the charger's power cord.
Forgot to add that the batteries are in lipo charging pouches inside the ash can as well.

Ammo can with the seal is best, trim the seal off the sides, but leave the seal on the front and back edges. It helps keep it from rattling, and still keeps a firm latch. Just in case keep the ammo can on a non flammable surface like a cinderblock etc., if the can ever goes up, the metal gets hot enough to ignite carpet or burn wood. All of this is of course just a precaution, the odds of a lipo going off in storage are very slim as @Greywolf74 mentioned.

Agree. Drill a vent hole in the ammo can. That being said, LiPos are really only dangerous when they are in use or being charged. Once theyve been storage charged and theyve sat for a couple hours stably then they are relatively benign. Not saying dont store them in an ammo can if it makes you feel better but mainly you want to make sure you're charging/discharging them in the ammo can.

Just a heads up, Tyler Hooks had his garage burn down when LiPo's were first introduced. Details where sketchy, but he said he finished racing, placed all his battery packs in a plastic toolbox and stored the box in his garage... the family was alerted by smoke and fire alarms in the house long after everyone went to bed. Fire Department arrived in time to contain the fire to just the garage, which was fully consumed in flames and roof burnt to a crisp. He didn't really take note of pack swelling or anything obvious, though he was 12 years old at the time this occurred. One can only speculate what happened.

Did battery wires short out with all the packs combined?
Was a swollen pack on it's last leg?
What was the IR of the packs in question?
What was the level of heat in the garage and did a hot garage contribute to the failure?

Aside from Tyler's experience, I used to use an ammo box to store all my batteries but over time I began to realize that you are effectively "putting all your eggs in one basket" such that if 1 pack fails, then it will create a chain reaction and take out all the remaining packs, ouch!

After seeing several LiPo fires at the track in my area and seeing the minimal amount of damage caused when the packs were installed in cars I have chosen to store my packs in each respective car and more importantly I store my cars inside with HVAC controlled home to prevent risk of excessive heat causing a LiPo fire.

I make it a point to inspect the IR of my packs every time they are charged to understand the current condition and retire packs that are in questionable condition with more info here about my opinion on IR:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...-charger-is-the-best&perpage=100#post43510433

That said I feel IR monitoring is more important than storage method.

Thanks all of you for the answers.
I will buy a ammo box tomorrow for 20 dollars.
Ammo can with the seal is best, trim the seal off the sides, but leave the seal on the front and back edges. It helps keep it from rattling, and still keeps a firm latch. Just in case keep the ammo can on a non flammable surface like a cinderblock etc., if the can ever goes up, the metal gets hot enough to ignite carpet or burn wood. All of this is of course just a precaution, the odds of a lipo going off in storage are very slim as @Greywolf74 mentioned.
Would you also drill a hole in the lid?
about the holes in the lid: how many holes? one is enough? what size drill do i use, more or less?
Thanks!

about the holes in the lid: how many holes? one is enough? what size drill do i use, more or less?
Thanks!

Back when I used to use an ammo can, I simply let the lid rest on top and didn't clamp the seal to let it breathe.

Keep in mind if you do get a fire in the box, the amount of smoke produced will completely fill the entire home so if you have the chance to close the lid and seal the flames/smoke and carry the box outside then you will reduce the amount of smoke produced inside.

I personally have found it easier to carry a burning lipo installed in a car of the handful of LiPo fires I've experienced first hand... which is why I no longer use an ammo can, or LiPo Bag for that matter.

I would also consider investing in a separate LiPo Bag for each battery instead of an ammo can, this will isolate the fire to a single battery and be easier to handle than a hot metal can that has spread to multiple pack fires! You need to figure out which method is the easiest to move the fire outside if a fire occurs, but regardless, I feel that monitoring IR is the safest precaution ;)

*** If you decide to move forward with an ammo can AND decide to vent it, I would not put any vent holes near the handle because that is where the flames will exit from the can and make it impossible to carry outside during a fire, doh!

Last edited:

Thanks!
Personally, I would use the .223 size from my favorite hole puncher 😉
0430221454e.jpg

Three or four 1/4 inch holes should be enough, it's more about letting pressure out. Smoke damage is a real problem if they go off. That smell is harsh. I don't think anyone makes containment that can prevent that, but it's better than burning down your house or vehicle.

That said I feel IR monitoring is more important than storage method.
I can not agree with this enough! ☝️

Thanks!
I drilled a single 1/4 hole in mine and I drilled in in the front of the can that way if I ever have one go up inside the can it will vent out away from the wall behind it or the wooden shelving on either side. Dont drill it in the top or you may not be able to pick it up and run it to a safe location.

I already have 2 ammo cans (one for the two batteries and another one to store other things. I like these boxes they are robust and nice looking)

A friend tells me that simply removing the rubber gasket from the lid should be enough to dislodge the gases and not explode the box.

I'm going to remove the rubber gasket and see how much slack is left when I close the lid, but I may as well drill a couple of holes for added security...

Back