Spektrum battery storage question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Newbie here, and I just got in the mail from Horizon three factory sealed Spektrum batteries. (11.1V 2200mAh 3S 30C Smart G2 LiPo Battery: IC3 SKU: SPMX223S30). These will go into an Aeroscout I just bought, but not immediately. (I haven't even assembled the plane yet.)

I have no immediate plans to use the batteries or fly the plane, since it's winter and I am still learning on the simulator. I already read a good post on how to store LIPO batteries in general, but it was based on how to store them after using them: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/general-newbie-battery-question-sop.139274/

My question is simply this: As long as I keep these three new batteries unopened in the original packing, can I simply store them in my cool dry basement in an ammo can or a bag like this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091L1XCF3/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A1KODDOPEPALCP&psc=1

Or, do I immediately need to charge them to a certain storage level to avoid any type of potential fire hazard?.

Since these come over from China and are probably stored by the thousands in Horizon's warehouses, I am thinking it is ok to simply put them away as-is. But I thought I would double-check first.

Thanks

Welcome to RCT!

Yep store in a cool and dry place. I store all my lipos in the same bag you linked (but branded as Hoovo). I store in my basement. Which is a little cooler than room temperature around 65 to 70 degrees.

I would open up the lipos and check the voltage and IRs first. If they are not at 3.8 / 3.7 volts per cell, I'd put them on a quick storage charge to bring those voltages up or down, and balanced. After you can store in a lipo bag, and or ammo can in a cool dry place.

PXL_20240110_014415809.jpg

PXL_20231231_015429977.MP.jpg

Great info, thanks. I have a Spektrum battery checker (as well as a Spektrum charger), so I will hook it up to them and see what it says. (Don't know how to work either device yet, but I guess I will find out.)

Back