LiPo bat box ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Scorpion

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I tried searching this section and didn’t get any results. Sorry I didn’t read every post yet.
I saw a video where they say LiPo batteries can be dangerous. Should they really be kept in bat box when charging or not in use ?
Mine are brand new Traxxas batteries and a Traxxas EZ-Peak plus charger.
Do you use one ?

Each battery should be in a fireproof charging bag which I might add is good practice. I have each battery in its own charging bag simply because if one catches fire, there wont be another one with it to catch fire. I never leave mine charging without keeping a eye on them. As far as storing, I keep them in the charging bag and then store them in a metal ammo box. Lipo's can be dangerous but with correct care they will stay safe. Follow manufacturer's instructions that came with the battery and charger and you will be fine.
I have two chargers and they are both Traxxas EZ-Peak. One is a single bay and the other a double.

I don't... but I really should. Lipo's in general are safe when they are sitting and are at storage charge. Charging/discharging is when they are most likely to have issues.

It's one thing if you have a couple small lipo's...
2020-0929-myLiposInDrawer.jpg

2020-0929-myLiposStacked.jpg

2020-0929-DeepwaterHorizon-notSmart.jpg

Yeah... I should at least find something for them to store in...

I discharged/destroyed and got rid of 10 or 12 other ones a few weeks ago... they were in the bottom of the drawer.

I agree with the fact that they in general are safe but sadly it only takes one... I don't take that chance.

I’m not complaining, however I wish the place I bought my truck and batteries would have at least mentioned or suggested at least the bag. I’ll order a couple today.
Thanks for the information.

Certainly not trying to preach but again my batteries are all in there own personal bag. For some freaky chance one goes up in smoke, at least I have a good chance of not losing them all and only one will go up in smoke...

Certainly not trying to preach but again my batteries are all in there own personal bag. For some freaky chance one goes up in smoke, at least I have a good chance of not losing them all and only one will go up in smoke...
Just ordered a charging bag and separate storage bags for the batteries. I consider it cheap insurance.
I’m sure you can probably go for years without a problem. It’s for my peace of mind. Being new to this hobby I’ll learn Thanks to my new friends on this forum.

always use a fireproof box or lipo bag.. I even store my lipos in a fireproof location.. many many cheap affordable things to charge a lipo in.. from $5 to over 100$ .. i also will say that 2 half filled pails or sand are in my charging area .if I'm at the track or home...
lipo safe
batbox(stolened name from a guy I knew) red box was Original batbax I purchased in late 1997
many options use them for you and any 1 around you when charging.
and yes that is a smoke fire alarm in top of charging box

Attachments

• charge box.jpg
    charge box.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 102
  • ammo box 2.jpg
    ammo box 2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ammo box1.jpg
    ammo box1.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 117
  • fire proof cloth.jpg
    fire proof cloth.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 92
Is it safe to store/charge in a fireproof strong box? With a hole just big enough to feed a wire through? I have a couple of those bags, but I am guilty of unsupervised charging/discharging. Always kept at 50% when not planning to use, and most of the time, charge/discharge at 1 amp

do you charge your cell phone in a bag or do you put your electric car in a bag when you charge it in the garage? Insurance is a big seller for sure! Fear and fear motivates. unsupervised use (charging, discharging) of lipos is a bad idea. I don't keep them or charge them in a bag. I charge/discharge them on a concrete floor next to me while am doing something else so I can monitor them. Understanding why lipos catch on fire is a good way to alleviate fears. keep lipos physically secured and cushioned, do not overcharge or undercharge. They give plenty of warning when they start to go bad due to internal decay. If you hit them with a hammer, put a nail into them or abuse them so the cells are exposed in anyway, then you get the fires. No water, humidity or air in the cells ever! I make sure I keep them shrink wrap well, bought extra shrink wrap. . . physically and electrically inspect them after every use which takes about 10 seconds. not hard, nothing to fear.

I don’t have a cement floor , and we live in a RV full time. Fire for us is a major concern. For us the extra step and cost of $15. for 2 bags is definitely cheap insurance. For me it’s peace of mind. I get being careful not to over charge. I don’t trust technology to always work. Electronics fail.
Your advice of charging on a cement floor is great advice .
That is why I like forums like this this you may have just saved someone from a real nightmare. Thanks

I don’t have a cement floor , and we live in a RV full time. Fire for us is a major concern. For us the extra step and cost of $15. for 2 bags is definitely cheap insurance. For me it’s peace of mind. I get being careful not to over charge. I don’t trust technology to always work. Electronics fail.
Your advice of charging on a cement floor is great advice .
That is why I like forums like this this you may have just saved someone from a real nightmare. Thanks
I would recommend a metal ammo box which is small and holds several batteries.

Yep, that would kind of defeat the purpose...:D

I tried searching this section and didn’t get any results. Sorry I didn’t read every post yet.
I saw a video where they say LiPo batteries can be dangerous. Should they really be kept in bat box when charging or not in use ?
Mine are brand new Traxxas batteries and a Traxxas EZ-Peak plus charger.
Do you use one ?
I'm the first to admit my method is probably overkill but i dread the thought of being sued if i was responsible for burning down my apartment building, not to mention the hassle involved in moving. I currently have a jobsite gang box on order in which i'll line with dry wall and stow the ammo cans inside it for the ultimate fire safety box...
bats006rs.jpg

bats005rs.jpg

bats004rs.jpg

bats002rs.jpg

mold006rs.jpg

mold005rs.jpg

safety and preservation on 1s life along with others is never overkill.