LED lighting problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_Felix_BB

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Felix and I have been having problems with LEDs whenever I solder my own wiring harness. The first two or three times the LEDs get powered, they work just fine, however once they get power for more than those two or three times, one of the lights starts flickering. After a little more time, the other light(s) start flickering too. The light that starts flickering first is always the farthest one from the power supply and it always ends up never working again. This has been a very frequent problem of mine and it really annoys me. Thank you in advance for replying.

Sounds like they might be getting too much power, but I don't know anything about leds. I am watching this to see what answers you get. I've never been savvy with electronics, so anything I can learn helps.

Hello, my name is Felix and I have been having problems with LEDs whenever I solder my own wiring harness. The first two or three times the LEDs get powered, they work just fine, however once they get power for more than those two or three times, one of the lights starts flickering. After a little more time, the other light(s) start flickering too. The light that starts flickering first is always the farthest one from the power supply and it always ends up never working again. This has been a very frequent problem of mine and it really annoys me. Thank you in advance for replying.
Whats up Felix? Whay type of LEDs are you running? And what is the power supply? What RC are you running the LEDs in. It could be a power supply or not complete soldering. Or a over powering. How are you supplying the power threw esc, bec, direct wiring? Got any pics of they way your wiring the lights? There's alot of different styles of LEDs and different power is needed..

Ah yes, the most important information for my problem, of course I forgot to mention it. I'm running just a 2s Lipo without any kind of bec. Ik just get my power for the lights straight from my receiver. Now that I think about it, I should measure the voltage at the leds themselves. I have to mention also, that, at first, I soldered my 2 leds in series but they weren't bright enough so now they're in parallel. In series there was no problem so It should probably het some resistors so I have a middle option. That probably is the problem, the voltage is probably too high. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ah yes, the most important information for my problem, of course I forgot to mention it. I'm running just a 2s Lipo without any kind of bec. Ik just get my power for the lights straight from my receiver. Now that I think about it, I should measure the voltage at the leds themselves. I have to mention also, that, at first, I soldered my 2 leds in series but they weren't bright enough so now they're in parallel. In series there was no problem so It should probably het some resistors so I have a middle option. That probably is the problem, the voltage is probably too high. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hey no problem bud glad I could help lol. If your still haven problems let us know 👍👍

If you are running 2 LEDs in parallel from a 2S lipo without any resistors then you are overvolting them. Even if you ran it from the RX youd still be overvolting them. I'm assuming these are white LEDs and those can only take between 3 -3.3V depending on the specs of the particular LED. You could run 2 white LEDs in series from the RX and that would be pretty safe if the RX is outputting 6V. They wont achieve maximum brightness that way but they shouldnt be to far from it. You ideally should have a dedicated constant current LED driver to power them for the best results or you could also run them off of your RX in series but bump up the RXs voltage output to 7.4V and use the appropriate resistor.

If you are running 2 LEDs in parallel from a 2S lipo without any resistors then you are overvolting them. Even if you ran it from the RX youd still be overvolting them. I'm assuming these are white LEDs and those can only take between 3 -3.3V depending on the specs of the particular LED. You could run 2 white LEDs in series from the RX and that would be pretty safe if the RX is outputting 6V. They wont achieve maximum brightness that way but they shouldnt be to far from it. You ideally should have a dedicated constant current LED driver to power them for the best results or you could also run them off of your RX in series but bump up the RXs voltage output to 7.4V and use the appropriate resistor.
I figured you would see this eventually and chime in. 🤣👍👍

Back