Large scale recommendation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaputoNL001

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I was looking at the redcat racing rampage mt v3 for $799. Any feedback?

Redcat is notorious for less than favorable quality. For that money you could get a used Losi which are basically the king of 1/5th scale or even a Traxxas Unlimited.

@CaputoNL001, Redcat certainly had a rough start but they have been improving their models for sure. The weak point still seems to be their engines though.

So while the Rampage MT might get you started, just know that you'll likely be doing upgrades to it sooner than other brands.

Are there any other models you're looking at?

@CaputoNL001, Redcat certainly had a rough start but they have been improving their models for sure. The weak point still seems to be their engines though.

So while the Rampage MT might get you started, just know that you'll likely be doing upgrades to it sooner than other brands.

Are there any other models you're looking at?
Everything else I like is over $1100 that's a steep price for me right now. But if I'm going to start at $799 and spend another $300 in upgrades I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I'd like a monster truck style though

@WoodiE does Arrma have any 1/5?

I know their 1/8 are sick!

Another option would be a KM or King Hobby brand ,not sure if they put out an MT. or not ,but they put out
a Baja or short coarse style truck!

I have the Baja buggy ,got it on monthly payments through the store quite a few years ago ,they also
had came a long ways ,an upgrades & hop-up parts are readily available!

Just pump regular gas & go from your local service station!...:thumbs-up:

Everything else I like is over $1100 that's a steep price for me right now. But if I'm going to start at $799 and spend another $300 in upgrades I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I'd like a monster truck style though

You're going to be a bit limited when it comes to large-scale monster trucks. Some other popular options would be the T-Maxx X-Maxx (electric) and the Losi MTXL (gas) - both of which is going to be more money.

That said you could get the Rampage MT and a brand new Zenoah G290 29cc engine for about $870 at LargeScaleRC.com and use coupon code LSF.

@WoodiE does Arrma have any 1/5?

I know their 1/8 are sick!

They do not. Only 1/10th and 1/8th scale RC's.

You're going to be a bit limited when it comes to large-scale monster trucks. Some other popular options would be the T-Maxx X-Maxx (electric) and the Losi MTXL (gas) - both of which is going to be more money.

That said you could get the Rampage MT and a brand new Zenoah G290 29cc engine for about $870 at LargeScaleRC.com and use coupon code LSF.

What are your thoughts on the losi k&n buggy? I like that one but what steers necaway from it is the 23cc engine. A lot of posts I read people recommend a 29cc engine or bigger.

largescalerc also has the losi 5ive-B for sale $749.99 would that be a better car for my money than the rampage?

All I can suggest/add to this is figure out where you want to drive it and remember what it is.

I tried 1/5th scale once and wish I had either gone a different route or not tried it at all. I tried the HPI baja 5B SS.

Things to think about are that they are heavy and relatively slow off the line. If you want to do offroad bashing, I highly suggest you stick with a 4wd vehicle. 1/5th scale trucks don't have a lot of ground clearance. While they are large and heavy, they are pretty close to the ground. The MT's are basically the buggy version with MT wheels on it, so they aren't that much higher off the ground, which means, rough terrain will have a lot of chassis drag. Also, most are single speed. While they are pretty quick for what they are, driving them around a park at WOT tends to get old pretty fast as they don't feel that fast, until you try and stop or avoid something, then their size/mass really becomes evident. Also, where will it be stored when not running it? They run on pump gas, which smells a lot more than our nitro fuel. Even after washing it with a hose, my 5B would stink up my house for a day or two pretty bad. With a wife who is prone to chronic migraines... having something that smelled like a lawnmower in the house wasn't great.

I primarily got the 5B SS for winter. I figured a pump gas engine would be easier to tune/start when it was 30F outside. The biggest thing I didn't think about is that it was a very heavy, low to the ground 2WD vehicle. Which meant it would barely drive in snow. I'm an idiot. Only cost me $900 to figure out how big of an idiot. ;)

They are really cool though. Big and fairly easy to wrench on. You can really see them work as a machine when your bashing them.

All I can suggest/add to this is figure out where you want to drive it and remember what it is.

I tried 1/5th scale once and wish I had either gone a different route or not tried it at all. I tried the HPI baja 5B SS.

Things to think about are that they are heavy and relatively slow off the line. If you want to do offroad bashing, I highly suggest you stick with a 4wd vehicle. 1/5th scale trucks don't have a lot of ground clearance. While they are large and heavy, they are pretty close to the ground. The MT's are basically the buggy version with MT wheels on it, so they aren't that much higher off the ground, which means, rough terrain will have a lot of chassis drag. Also, most are single speed. While they are pretty quick for what they are, driving them around a park at WOT tends to get old pretty fast as they don't feel that fast, until you try and stop or avoid something, then their size/mass really becomes evident. Also, where will it be stored when not running it? They run on pump gas, which smells a lot more than our nitro fuel. Even after washing it with a hose, my 5B would stink up my house for a day or two pretty bad. With a wife who is prone to chronic migraines... having something that smelled like a lawnmower in the house wasn't great.

I primarily got the 5B SS for winter. I figured a pump gas engine would be easier to tune/start when it was 30F outside. The biggest thing I didn't think about is that it was a very heavy, low to the ground 2WD vehicle. Which meant it would barely drive in snow. I'm an idiot. Only cost me $900 to figure out how big of an idiot. ;)

They are really cool though. Big and fairly easy to wrench on. You can really see them work as a machine when your bashing them.
that was one reason i liked the rampage is it has huge ground clearance 72MM vs the average 55mm for a buggy. but the 5b seems to have decent ground clearance. i live in florida so snow is not an issue, but i do drive in grass, usually fairly short though. my 1/8 MT nitro truck does fine in grass and the 5B seems to have equal or slightly more ground clearance. it is also 4WD. i read another post on here, i believe you replied to it because someone had said almost word for word what you said.

1/5 scale just seems like less tuning and more driving.

oh and it would be stored in the garage with my harley.

so i’m not sure if you were trying to talk me out of the 5B or tell me it is a good car to buy ?

at this point i’m leaning heavily towards the Losi 5IVE-B unless anyone has any reason not to purchase it? seems like a great car for under $800. yeah?

The 5IVE-B is a kit that doesn't come with "kit" stuff.

You have to buy this stuff to complete it:
26-29cc Gas engine with Exhaust
2-Channel Radio System
(3) 1/5 Scale Servos
Receiver Battery Pack and Charger

Which probably puts it up near the MTX price, or close enough to it, that you should get the MTX so you have a more bashable vehicle. Or just go with the redcat and hope it holds up better than they did 10 years ago.

I wasn't recommending the 5B. For offroad bashing, it wasn't that great. Sat too low and was 2WD. If I were to do it again, I know I'd want a 4wd MT of some sort.

Last edited:
The 5IVE-B is a kit that doesn't come with "kit" stuff.

You have to buy this stuff to complete it:
26-29cc Gas engine with Exhaust
2-Channel Radio System
(3) 1/5 Scale Servos
Receiver Battery Pack and Charger

Which probably puts it up near the MTX price, or close enough to it, that you should get the MTX so you have a more bashable vehicle. Or just go with the redcat and hope it holds up better than they did 10 years ago.
poop, it is a kit i did not notice that.

LOL....A lot of the old school folks complain that there was no kits anymore ,now
they complain there is!,,,,,:hehe:

LOL....A lot of the old school folks complain that there was no kits anymore ,now
they complain there is!,,,,,:hehe:
Oh I'm not complaining, just by the time I finish that kit I'll be in it for $1300

I may just wait and save for the 5IVE B though

Oh I'm not complaining, just by the time I finish that kit I'll be in it for $1300

I may just wait and save for the 5IVE B though

Regular pump gas 2 stroke engines like weedeater ,leaf blower engines are far more easier to tune & get running
than the nitro engine!

I am a local repairman on that stuff in my town ,people bring me their gardening equipment to repair or service.
Most of the issues on them ,is dirty fuel tanks & dirty carbs ,or dried up fuel pump diaphram's do to the equipment
sitting.

I looked at large scale like this; If you want large scale then you pay all the cost upfront, as fuel cost is dirt cheap. Nitro you can buy rigs a lot cheaper, but fuel is super expensive. Pick your poison. Keep in mind, upgrades for large scale are way more cost also. I had as much in upgrades for my Baja as I did in the rig itself most likely.

I enjoyed large scale, but the problem I had was finding places to play. As olds stated, the 5b sat low and was 2wd so that alone limited play areas. Combine that with the fact that large scale rigs eat up terrain at a shocking pace, terrain that throws 1/8 scale stuff all over the place mind you, and nobody to run with and it just got old quickly. If I had somewhere to run and people to run with, I'd still have my 5b.

I enjoyed large scale, but the problem I had was finding places to play. As olds stated, the 5b sat low and was 2wd so that alone limited play areas. Combine that with the fact that large scale rigs eat up terrain at a shocking pace, terrain that throws 1/8 scale stuff all over the place mind you, and nobody to run with and it just got old quickly. If I had somewhere to run and people to run with, I'd still have my 5b.
Yep, all that +1. Also, 1/5th scale tears up turf pretty badly. So going to your local park and running it could get frowned upon after your tearing up the lawn. I ran fairly non-aggressive tires on mine, but it still would leave strips of bare dirt if the ground was damp/soft at all underneath the grass.

The parts were pricey, kind of forgot about that. When I had my 5B, I put RPM arms on, upgraded front tower protector, rear shock limiting cables, the 5T larger can, scorpion "shorty" chassis ($150) and RB-Innovations engine cooling filter system ($70) to keep grass out of it. $100 for RPM arms was pretty steep, but I didn't break one. The scorpion chassis was something I did because I wanted the thing to be shorter to fit in my bag and my trunk better. I also liked how it handled better for what I did. $50 for a set of tires was pretty steep as well. Considering how quick it would burn through a set if you did much running on pavement, I ran a set of tires that had a lot of contact area and they lasted quite a while. It added up pretty quick, but that was all I did with mine... I think.

Yep, forgot about turf damage too. I ran a super aggressive rear tire on mine, and in the tall grass off the sides of the practice fields one spin just dug trenches like you wouldn't believe. The combinaton of a 25lb + rig and aggressive tires isn't to be underestimated. Forgot about running in your yard unless you hate grass.

I think most of my mods were fixing known weak points, Vertigo Performance Laust complete clutch setup, Killer Bee kill switch, Killer RC suspension limit straps, Killer RC stainless starter cable, upgraded carb, X can exhaust, better air and pre-filter setup along with windows to keep the crud out, Turtle racing chassis braces, upgraded throttle/brake linkage, Hostile MX tires, Hostile racing axle boots, Dark Souls toobs, and RPM bumpers and skids. Once all that was done, I and others that l let drive it had end over end crashes and drove away.

And that brings me to the other thing, crash costs. Crashing isn't cheap for any rig, but a big crash on a 1/5 scale rig can potentially get into enough money to pay for a decent 1/10 rig. Just keep that in mind also.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna look for a buggy with good ground clearance that's 4 Wheel Dr. I got my eye on a piece of land 660 feet deep by 300 feet wide it's going to be nothing but RC tracks. I definitely think I'm going large scale

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna look for a buggy with good ground clearance that's 4 Wheel Dr. I got my eye on a piece of land 660 feet deep by 300 feet wide it's going to be nothing but RC tracks. I definitely think I'm going large scale

LOL....I ripped up a soccor field that size before!

I didn't do anymore damage then a bunch of players with cletes on would do!....:hehe:...........:celebrate:

Makes me want to break mine out an terrorize!......