Kyosho RB7ss Super Extra Fantastic Fun Time Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to know mine will take a beating once I can get it outside. I took that and the kids truck out the other day. Buggy just dug itself a hole in the snow. Was comical to watch at least. I haven't had it up over like 5% driving it in the house.

Work has killed a lot of free time right now. We have three store prototypes that are running concurrent and nobody shares information.

Kids truck was a champ! She has no interest in the buggy now at all lol. She will when I can punch it outside and blows the doors off of that brick lol.

We have been spending quality time making bird poop welds with flux core. That stuff is awful lol. Put on my adult boots and bought shielding gas yesterday. Hopefully it won't be as messy. Any particular brand of wire that you reccomend?

Last edited:
Glad to know mine will take a beating once I can get it outside. I took that and the kids truck out the other day. Buggy just dug itself a hole in the snow. Was comical to watch at least. I haven't had it up over like 5% driving it in the house.

Work has killed a lot of free time right now. We have three store prototypes that are running concurrent and nobody shares information.

Kids truck was a champ! She has no interest in the buggy now at all lol. She will when I can punch it outside and blows the doors off of that brick lol.

We have been spending quality time making bird poop welds with flux core. That stuff is awful lol. Put on my adult boots and bought shielding gas yesterday. Hopefully it won't be as messy. Any particular brand of wire that you reccomend?

Mig welding is SO much cleaner than flux core. However, if you have a good enough machine, you can lay down a pretty good bead with flux core. It just takes a lot more practice. I got to the point of being able to do pretty good with it. I always get Lincoln or Hobart wire. They work pretty good.

Did I tell you about my daughters ST I was building? I couldn't find a body that was narrow enough or rims that had enough negative offset to clear the body. So I ended up getting here an RT6. She love is.

My son and daughter are racing. I am sitting this out. I don't have to time or money to support all 3 of to race. My wife even got into the excitement of racing. She loves going to races and watching them.

That's awesome!

You had mentioned the troubles you were having with her conversion. I would have tapped out waaaaay before you did lol.

My "local" lowes has some lincoln wire in stock, probably run over there after lunch. I knew flux core was messy, but damn.

What kind of welder do you have? My brother in-law has a flux core welder from Harbor Freights, and there was nothing I could do to get a good bead with that. It pretty well could have been due to the cheap wire on it.

I'm taking over her buggy/truck project and turning it back into a buggy to race. Just waiting for the time and money to get it going. I need a motor and controller and a body. That's about $300.

I have a harbor freight mig/flux core 140 from the HF. It's ok I guess. I have no idea what I am doing other than watching YouTube. It's also like 10 degrees outside so the shop is a touch cold ? keeping a steady hand is a challenge.

You can try using a better wire. That might work. However, the mig will do better.

I would like to get a tig welder. I haven't tigged in about 30 years. Dang I'm getting old! I first put 20 years, then I realized that was not accurate.

? I hear you. Going on 27 years in my industry. Still enjoy it most days lol.

Enrolled at the local community college for welding classes.

TIG welding is BEAUTIFUL when done right. It is hypnotic watching someone weld that way. Kind of like watching a camp fire. Just stare out and contemplate our existence as mankind... Is this the end of our journey or just the beginning? Are we energy contained within corporeal shells? If someone remote starts there car, is it really started or does time skip ahead because nothing witnessed it being started? I digress lol.

I had a local company weld kegs for my homebrewing back in the day. They were just awful. Slag they didn't remove and burn through everywhere on the couplings. I was young and dumb and actually paid them for a garbage job.

Cap,
You might want to visit someone and talk about your thoughts while gazing into a fire. LOL..

I was certified as an arc welder, but I haven't arc welded in over 15 years. I love the look of a good weld that looks like a row dimes.

So, when are you going to start racing your RB7?

It is going to be a few months unfortunately. Took longer than I had hoped and the snow has settled in. The closest indoor track 2hrs away when the weather is good. There are occasional street drags locally. Probably get roasted by the competition in a buggy vs those cats. The outdoor track opens back up in May. It may open sooner, but that's when racing starts.

@AClegg I have been meaning to ask. What am I supposed to do with the spring dingleberry?

Attachments

• 20210213_081315.jpg
    20210213_081315.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 66
are you talking about that blue wire shielding looking tube? You leave that on there. That's how you quickly determine the springs color code, which indicates the springs stiffness.

With the aluminum drive system of the RB7ss, I wouldn't recommend drag racing. If you beefed them up to the rb7 counterparts, then there is no reason you couldn't make your buggy competitive. Just don't forget the wheelie bar.

Hello RCT Nation!

I am in the process of aquiring pieces and parts for my and could use some help. So far, I have the kit, a few different pinion gears (28t, 30t and 32t), a fancy exotech motor mount and battery mount.

View attachment 123572

As for motor/esc, it seems hobbywing has a decent reputation. Looks like Reedy makes a good motor. What do you suggest for a motor and esc? I have a budget of about 200$ for the combo. I can go a little over if it is going to be a good jump.

Servo - What steering servo is reccomended? 60$ budget?

Batteries - I like the Spectrum smart batteries. Do I need the fancy bullet connector ones? What C rating? Does that depend on the servo?

Tires - will probably mainly be used for bashing. I might be doing some racing, the car will primarily be used by my 7yr old. Suggestions? Another member uses traxxas slash tires for bashing. I do like that idea.

Transmitter/ receiver - 100$ budget?

If I am missing anything, let me know. I usually do lol.

Thanks!

How did your build turn out, I've had mine about 3 weeks now my only problem has been that the c joint adapter went up very quickly buy I believe that it may have been a tight ball joint due to a allen screw backing out the made it wear out so quickly, so even that I believe was my fault

How did your build turn out, I've had mine about 3 weeks now my only problem has been that the c joint adapter went up very quickly buy I believe that it may have been a tight ball joint due to a allen screw backing out the made it wear out so quickly, so even that I believe was my fault
It turned decent enough. The biggest issue I had was the ball joint in the assembly for the steering. It rubbed on the cage frame thing the servo sits in. The instructions show that you need to shave it down, I did not shave enough off. I took it apart and reassembled at least 4 times lol.

I will try and get some pics up this weekend.

Back