Kyosho RB7ss Super Extra Fantastic Fun Time Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boom! Back in business!
20201123_134139.jpg

@AClegg What are your thoughts on the B74.1D? Thinking about getting a 4WD dirt buggy lol.

News on a different front, thrust bearing should be in today. One was lost in the mail.. ordered another one.

You just are not having any luck with that bearing.

The AE buggies are really good cars. Even the B74.1. I was looking at getting a 4wd, but I am also torn. I was looking at either the Xray or the Losi. Then I start thinking "what if Kyosho came out with a new one." It would be nice to keep with the same brand. Then again, that Xray is a really nice looking car. However, on another site, I was introduced to PR Racing. Now I might be leaning a little towards that brand for a 4wd. If I like it and Kyosho doesn't start showing newer race designs, I might jump to a new brand next year.

I got my daughters RB7 all done. Now I just need her to decide on how she wants her shell painted. This is a lot harder than I thought. I think she is having a melt down over it.

I am, however, going to swap out the RC unit in it. I put a Radiopost system in it and she already messed up the settings. It may be a little too advanced for her right now.

Awesome! Did you make it a truck? I feel you on the meltdown. Mine throws them out occaisonly. Getting much better as she ages. I know it will turn to poop when the "p" word hits though...

I hooked up the MX-6 and was impressed with all of the options. Had to read the intructions. My only experience so far is the Spectrum and Dynamite controllers that come with the mini-t and 8 from Losi. Not a lot of options on the controllers out of the box lol. I will have to check out the Radiopost. I have to have a conversation with the kid about messing with the settings on it. She is only 7 and has to touch and play with everything.

PR Racing a. I have heard of them but haven't seen anything in real life. It's all been good. I was at my LHS a couple of days ago and they are starting to carry more variety. There are a few 22x-4 's on the shelf there now. Some random parts as well. A few TA too. Customers have been asking and they have been listening. Holy poop! They said they would order in whatever I wanted. Prices are competitive with Amain, would like to keep the money local if I can. They are running a promo on Friday, buy a kit 10% off of batteries. I may just pick up a 22x-4 because it is there and order a gear diff down the road.

Thanks again for all of the info, help and insight! I have learned a lot. Still a lot to learn though.

Yes, I made it a truck, I had only had to trim the ESC tray a tiny bit, but that was the only custom mod I had to make. I now have to order ST wheel for it and paint the body. My daughter is being a pain trying to figure out how she wants to paint it. Right now, I have SCT wheel on it, but the offset is too much to get the body to not rub a little. I'll have to shoot you some pics. I still have to clean up the wires, but like I mentioned, I'm changing out the RC unit.

If your looking for a new tow, Kyosho is having a Black Friday sale on the Psycho Kruiser. It's going for $500 and they are including two 4s batteries. That's about $150 savings.

Awesome! Looking forward to some pics. I'm taking the kiddo to the store tomorrow to pick out some paint for this buggy. I have a feeling she will be standing at the paint display for a bit. She can be very indecisive. Sounds like a similar situation as yours lol. The store is having a few mystery deals tomorrow, might be something there I can't live without ? I will check the Psycho. Might be up my alley.

I should have some more pics up tonight on the build.

I found what may have been the thrust bearing ball I lost. Son of a biscuit. Did I not install one when I put it together? Time to take it apart and see if I somehow missed it.. Two thrust bearing kits later (one lost in the mail, trying to get a refund) it might have been on my bench the entire time.

I found what may have been the thrust bearing ball I lost. Son of a biscuit. Did I not install one when I put it together? Time to take it apart and see if I somehow missed it.. Two thrust bearing kits later (one lost in the mail, trying to get a refund) it might have been on my bench the entire time.

Sorry, but... the really sucks!

It ended up being the original bearing ball. The first replacement that was lost is being re-signed. The seller is refusing to give a refund.. A$$ hats. I will have two thrust bearings on stand by lol.

I'm sure you can slang them pretty quick on eBay or something like that.

Small update. Shocks are built and installed!

Attachments

• 20201207_104853.jpg
    20201207_104853.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 95
Very nice. Are you going to put those truck tires on it? I see you sprung for the Kyosho aftermarket springs. They were a little too pricey for me. I purchased some associated springs. they're the same size but half the price.

I'm hoping to tromp through the yard this weekend or next with the truck tires on. Those are associated springs lol. 5 or 6 dollars vs.16 I think. I bought a couple of different springs to play with. 20$ is more manageable than 70$.

Edit: Thanks again for that tip. Nice to save some coin! The springs in the bag are the kit ones.

Last edited:
Let me know how well those tires work.

If you want more travel, you can put the SC6 front shock tower and RT6 front shocks on the front. The RT6 front shocks are the same as the RB7 rear shocks. The SC6 shocks are the same length, but they are a different design. I'm not sure if they make that much of a different. The o-ring/packing is different. The only thing I have left on this is painting the body and cleaning up the wires and solder points.

RT7.jpg

Hi there. I was going to start a thread about RB7ss builds, but CapnJames asked most of my questions and AClegg came back with a lot of great info. I hope you don't mind if I highjack it a bit.

Anyways, I was about to pull the trigger on what I think may have been the last discounted RB7 online, but wasted too much time seeing if I wanted to change my ESC / motor and it was sold by the time I went to checkout. That's okay since I was planning on going with a spec build anyways and there are still a few RB7ss on sale and the deal is almost too good to pass up.

One of the things I was wondering was how well does the RB7ss kit work with a 13.5T motor? I understand that they lightened up a bunch of components to optimize for a 17.5T, so does going to a lower-turn stock motor cause any problems? I saw that a slipper was recommended to help save the gears, so is that an upgrade to consider in general or just because a 13.5T motor was recommended?

Also, if I wanted to change over to a modified motor in the future, is it fairly straight-forward to modify the RB7ss to handle it, or would it require enough changes that just getting another chassis would make more sense?

Thanks!

Hi there. I was going to start a thread about RB7ss builds, but CapnJames asked most of my questions and AClegg came back with a lot of great info. I hope you don't mind if I highjack it a bit.

Anyways, I was about to pull the trigger on what I think may have been the last discounted RB7 online, but wasted too much time seeing if I wanted to change my ESC / motor and it was sold by the time I went to checkout. That's okay since I was planning on going with a spec build anyways and there are still a few RB7ss on sale and the deal is almost too good to pass up.

One of the things I was wondering was how well does the RB7ss kit work with a 13.5T motor? I understand that they lightened up a bunch of components to optimize for a 17.5T, so does going to a lower-turn stock motor cause any problems? I saw that a slipper was recommended to help save the gears, so is that an upgrade to consider in general or just because a 13.5T motor was recommended?

Also, if I wanted to change over to a modified motor in the future, is it fairly straight-forward to modify the RB7ss to handle it, or would it require enough changes that just getting another chassis would make more sense?

Thanks!

I was able to find a couple RB7's on eBay for $229. I haven't seen and RB7ss kits for awhile. I don't believe these buggies are discontinued. I think they are just sold out. Kyosho is known for keeping the same style buggy out for quite a long time. Besides, if they did come out with a new buggy, what would change? It already has pretty much all the updates except for a easy access diff housing, which can be purchased as a hop-up.

As for the RB7ss questions, the slipper would be a good upgrade to keep control. The puck style sliders for the diff outdrives will wear out much faster with a faster motor. That is pretty much going to be your weakest point. The aluminum drive shaft will also wear out, but that depends on how often you race it.

With a 13.5, I would recommend a slipper, mostly for control. Just keep an eye on the drive shafts and the plastic sliders. Without a slipper, it's not the gears you have to worry about so much, it's the wheel spin.

With a modified motor, I would change out the diff outdrives and drive shafts, and I would add a slipper. The aluminum top shaft gear should be fine, I would just inspect it after a few hard races to see if it is showing any wear, but if you keep it greased, it should last a while.

The greatest thing about the RB7 is it being the most adjustable and reliable buggies out right now.

Work has been sucking my will to live. Finally some time off to play. I was hooking up the battery for the the first time, and.. reverse polarity. Mother... fiddlesticker... ESC is toast. I have 2 weeks off and was going to give her a good break-in.

Work has been sucking my will to live. Finally some time off to play. I was hooking up the battery for the the first time, and.. reverse polarity. Mother... fiddlesticker... ESC is toast. I have 2 weeks off and was going to give her a good break-in.

Fiddlesticker? Seriously?

Back