kyosho gx12 air intake stuck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Widow's Son

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys

As the title suggests, this is about a kyosho gx12 engine and i seem to be having a bit of a problem with the air intake. The car has been sitting in a shed for well over 2 years without any use, but the other day i got the bug really REALLY bad to get this beaut running again. so i checked it over, turns out i need some new servos, batt box, possibly a new fuel tank and some other little odds 'n' ends where rubber seals have perished 0.0

So i thought well that's not too bad seen as its been sitting around all this time. Time to take a look at the engine.... I tried pulling it over and it seems perfectly fine, no hard tugs needed and there's plenty of compression there. Then i looked at the air intake and this is where my problem begins.

It doesn't seem to open or close when i move either the connecting rod or the tuning screw next to it. Which has lead me to the obvious conclusion that its stuck. So now i am at a bit of a loose as i don't know too much when it comes to engines, only the real basics and i wouldn't want to completely ruin it by trying to force it open :S

Has anyone had this happen to them before and managed to get it working again successfully? Or some advice on what to do to free it up?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, And for any advice given.
David

Give it a shot of after run oil or wd 40 and let it sit for a while. Your engine will need to be sealed up too after sitting that long. Replace the fuel lines and glow plug as well. Make sure the tank is clean.

Thanks for the reply....

I had a can of WD-40 sitting next to me but wasn't sure if it would hinder rather than help.

After i've given it a good spray, how would i go about flushing it all out. Just run fuel through it? Also, when you say sealed up....sealed up as in air tight-or-just close the holes to stop muck getting in?

I should be going to my local model shop tomorrow so ill pick up fuel lines and plugs then and hopefully let u know how it goes.

Cheers for the assist Matt!

Nitro engines need to be sealed at the carb, exhaust and back plate with copper, high temp, rtv. The hsn needs to be sealed with green slime. Not sure who makes it at the moment. A search in the general nitro forum will yield a lot of info on sealing a nitro engine. Squirrel's video on youtube is better yet.

I'll give Squirrel's vids a look over...I've just sprayed some WD-40 on it and have left it to do its stuff. Fingers x'd

**Update**

So a couple hours later after spraying the carb with WD-40 and it has unstuck itself!! Woop

Only trouble now is that the little screw next to it will only "open" the carb and not close it. At the moment i am having to close it manually, which doesn't bode well 0.0

Maybe i should just say Sod it, and buy a new engine

Hey 13 years on I have the same issue... do any of you know what engine one can get as a replacement for a gx12? It sits on a kysosho pureten mantis chassis..

Hey 13 years on I have the same issue... do any of you know what engine one can get as a replacement for a gx12? It sits on a kysosho pureten mantis chassis..

That could be tricky because it looks that engine & chassis use a 3-screw mounting arrangement directly into the crankcase, as opposed to the more common 4-screws with an engine mount.

You could try freeing up the carb by soaking it in some nitro fuel & rebuilding it with fresh o-rings, otherwise you may have to try and find another GX12, or perhaps a GXR-15

Thanks for the advice! I will give the nitro fuel a bash - someone suggested using wd40... i assume the gxr15 is newer? Is it more powerful? (Sorry for noobie questions) it's not easy finding info out there in these old bits of kit... also I think tamiya seems to have been more popular over then (I bought the kyosho in Germany in 97/98)

Thanks for the advice! I will give the nitro fuel a bash - someone suggested using wd40... i assume the gxr15 is newer? Is it more powerful? (Sorry for noobie questions) it's not easy finding info out there in these old bits of kit... also I think tamiya seems to have been more popular over then (I bought the kyosho in Germany in 97/98)

The GXR15 is more powerful, mostly by virtue of being a .15 instead of .12, as for newness, it's a vintage engine at this point. There's a few on sale some places though. It's a cool looking engine with the streamlined cooling head.

I managed to free the air intake... got a new head and gasket coming... all the electrics work fine, hopefully once the new head is on she'll fire up... just need to find a body and the associated parts to go with it and this 25 year old racer will be as good as new :)