Kyosho center diff problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emery Hall

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a kyosho mp9e evo v2 and the other day the center diff started slipping and getting no power. I opened it up to reveal some very dirty fluid with the consistency of tar. I looked for a while and settled on trying the silicone ear plug center diff fix since I mainly bash. I have yet to get it to work i only have rwd and the sun gear just wont make contact with the others. Am I doin something wrong or should I just stick to oil. Any suggestions on what oil to use? I have no idea what weight is in the front center and rear.

Sounds like there some stripped or worm out gears in the center diff since you started having problems with it before trying the earplugs. Diff oil weight is mostly a matter of personal preference especially if you're not racing with it. Id try starting with 7k front, 10-15k center, and 5k rear. and the experiment from there. If you're trying to achieve a limited slip diff with oil then Id use 500k or 1mil weight.

This chart might help you understand what the different weights will do in the diffs.
Diff oil weight effects.JPG

Sounds like there some stripped or worm out gears in the center diff since you started having problems with it before trying the earplugs. Diff oil weight is mostly a matter of personal preference especially if you're not racing with it. Id try starting with 7k front, 10-15k center, and 5k rear. and the experiment from there. If you're trying to achieve a limited slip diff with oil then Id use 500k or 1mil weight.

This chart might help you understand what the different weights will do in the diffs.
View attachment 133643
I looked in the diff and none of the gears are stripped. honestly don't know what to do.

What exactly was it doing when you first started noticing an issue with it?

Maybe the gears need shimmed. The thing about spider gears is they can wear and not be noticeable, because the gear profile can wear evenly across the entire tooth on all the gears. When they wear so far they no longer make contact.

The gears can also wear on the back side, not showing as much wear in the teeth.

If you can find some shims to put behind the two side gears and see if the case still goes back together easily, your gears have probably worn.

What exactly was it doing when you first started noticing an issue with

What exactly was it doing when you first started noticing an issue with it?
It started getting very little power to all wheels and was going but was slipping. if you have ever driven on a loose slipper clutch you kinds know what I'm trying to say.
Maybe the gears need shimmed. The thing about spider gears is they can wear and not be noticeable, because the gear profile can wear evenly across the entire tooth on all the gears. When they wear so far they no longer make contact.

The gears can also wear on the back side, not showing as much wear in the teeth.

If you can find some shims to put behind the two side gears and see if the case still goes back together easily, your gears have probably worn.
I will try adding one or two shims and some thicker oil. earplugs just didn't work for me...

It started getting very little power to all wheels and was going but was slipping. if you have ever driven on a loose slipper clutch you kinds know what I'm trying to say.

I will try adding one or two shims and some thicker oil. earplugs just didn't work for me...
Are you sure it is the center diff?

👆This! Is did you check your gear mesh and your gears? If it was all 4 wheels at the same time maybe motor shifted or stripped spur?

Are you sure it is the center diff?
I'm pretty sure it is. for a little bit the silicone worked and everything worked very well but it loosened up all the silicone and the sun gear came off one of the cups and it only had rwd
👆This! Is did you check your gear mesh and your gears? If it was all 4 wheels at the same time maybe motor shifted or stripped spur?
Check my response to @WickedFog

I'm pretty sure it is. for a little bit the silicone worked and everything worked very well but it loosened up all the silicone and the sun gear came off one of the cups and it only had rwd

Check my response to @WickedFog
Hold both front wheels, push the car and try to turn both the back wheels while doing so. If it moves and the back wheels turn, your center diff gears are not meshing.

Hold both front wheels, push the car and try to turn both the back wheels while doing so. If it moves and the back wheels turn, your center diff gears are not meshing.
id try that but my diff is currently in pieces. I think I'm going to pass on the earplugs and run 5000cst in the center. should I go higher? I think from factory it is 5000cst front 5000cst center 3000cst rear but I'm not sure.

Back