keep breaking spur gears with new motor nitro rs4 plese help me!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys i just got and broke in my 18cvrx and i love it. but i keep killing spur gears, I'm not sure if its from power or if its from sand perhaps but i have gone through 2 sets, the 1st was because my motor moved and ate the gears but the other broke today after i was driving for about 10 mins and i turned a corner and floored it and it acted like it locked up then it was moving weird. so i checked the 2speed gears and sure enough they were missing some teeth, so is there any way to prevent this, I'm assuming its debris and not power killing the gears so can i seal the hole on the bottom of the chassis and maybe try to seal the surround of the box as well? also anyone know where to get metal spur gears???

You get a metal spur gear and you wont be replacing spur gears, you'll be replacing tranny gears.

well my 2 tranny gears are whats stripped out now hence why i want the metal ones

Sounds like a gear mesh issue to me. How are you setting the mesh?

Hey Appleman, where in Suffolk Co. are you? You gonna be running in Ronkonkama when they start up again?

i live in stony brook. i wasn't even aware they run in ronkokoma so tell me when and where and ill come by

i live in stony brook. i wasn't even aware they run in ronkokoma so tell me when and where and ill come by

They set up a makeshift track on sundays in the back of the parking lot at the Ronkonkama train station off 495 at exit 60. I am not sure when they will be starting up again but as soon as I find out I'll be sure to let you know.

From what I hear it's pretty laid back, they just race to have fun. I'll be running my hopped up RS4 3, my cousin will be running his RS4 2 with an OS 15, and a few mods. I will check with the guy at RaceTek hobbies in Port Jeff and find out when they plan on getting it going again.

well my 2 tranny gears are whats stripped out now hence why i want the metal ones
So you want metal tranny gears? You said metal spur gear.. IMO the metal spur gears are bad news. Might wanna check out RRP for metal gears. Not sure if they have them for a Rs4, but if a company does, it'll be them.

I also agree it sounds like a mesh issue. How are you setting that?

It's like the two speed on my mammoth.

The the RS4 you have is anything like the HPI Nitro MT, chassis flex may be hurting you as well. The HPI Nitro MT is an RS4 based truck. I had one. I went through spurs left and right until I made a steel plate for the engine/center spur to mount to making the chassis more rigid. Granted, with the 18 cv-r(x), I still chewed up a spur occasionally, but not as often.

I think they make a stiffer chassis for that. Well, I think they did for the older model.

Andy, on an RS4 the clutcbell meshes directly to the spur tranny/gear. Its mounted directly to the tranny shaft, there is no seperate spur and tranny gears like on a maxx, or savage. The tranny/spur gear is one in the same. And I have never seen them in metal.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/86038n3_2sp/I-86038-2 P2_A4.jpg

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/86038n3_2sp/I-86038-2 P3_A4.jpg

So then theres no slipper either?

I had a Rs4 3 but I guess I never paid to much attention..lol. I had it for such a short time and ran it so little. I had the fe.15 in it and it frustrated the hell out of me, so most its life with me was on the shelf.

Nope, no slipper either. The biggest problem with the .15 fe is the crappy single needle carb. Once I chucked that pos in the trash and put an OS 10 e carb on it it ran great, no rocket by any means but still ran great.

olds, I added the carbon fiber upper deck to my RS4 3, that made the entire chassis much stiffer, without adding a ton of weight, that and a sway bar kit made a HUGE difference in the handling of the car.

olds, I added the carbon fiber upper deck to my RS4 3, that made the entire chassis much stiffer, without adding a ton of weight

Yeah, that would be a much better way to go than what I did. The plate I added did add quite a bit of weight. But mine was an off road vehicle, so weight didn't matter as much to me.

Back