Kanai 3, really impressed with the handling.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Error401

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got to run my K3 a little while ago, just threw the starter, Tx and a couple tools and the lighter in a pack and hiked down the street to the local park. I hit the baseball diamond really wanting to do some drift practice. The diamond was kind of a dry dusty sandy very very loose covering over really hard pack dirt. I thinks to myself "self, this is gonna be cool".

I got the mill started fairly easily and let it warm up a bit. Temps were in the mid 60's and kind of humid. After about a 1/4 of a tank it finally warmed up and started comming on. I had to run the first tank as a tuning tank, and the K mill seemed to act a little funny, but it sucked the bottom out of the tank without getting over 260. I pulled the shell of and found a couple things. First there was a rock under the left rear diff output and wedged in between the diff case and the hinge pin. It was a real pain to get it out, but I did. I thought this might have been the reason it was acting funny, since there was some rub marks on the diff output cup. Then I noticed a cut in the fuel line right on the tank side of the fuel filter. Problem fixed, fueld and ready to rip. Tuning was alot easier, though I did have to lean it up about 1/4 turn on the HSN.

Then the mill came to life. OMG. I was running Ofna += M2 tires and the K3 was a pure joy to drive. Next to a sheet of ice, the baseball diamond was about the slickest thing I can think of driving on. But the K3 ate it up. 4 wheel burnouts, and brake induced powerslides, and tons of dust. I really should have taken a camera, because the pix would have turned out great (just like 1:1 baja racing). Then I started noticing how the car felt. I got it to do some "in place" doughnuts, and just returning the steering to neutral, or a hint of countersteer, but still at WOT, the K would straiten out and take off. Very little fightning with it. My old Lightning was a complete bitch on surfaces like that. It would continue to spin, or start to spin in the other direction. The K was the opposite side of the coin. The K didn't seem to want to drift as much as the lightning either. Application of power made it want to straiten out. I guess that's the L.S.D. in the front diff doing that. Not that I'm complaining, I thought it was refreshing and fun. Maybe changing to Knuckles XTR would make it drift easier, I'll try them next time.

Then I started playing around and trying to see how stable the K really is. High speed runs, then start wagging the tail with lock to lock steering at WOT. I found that it was extremely stable, unless you got it down so that the wag got real violent, then you could get it to do sliding doughnuts. That was great! Then release the steering and off it went again. The surface was so slick, I could go WOT and do long dusty burnouts, or WOT with a jab on the brakes and hard steering and get it sideways and slide of about 10'. Man, I really should have taken a camera.

Error, you and EP must stop with these good stories of your K3s. I'm gonna break downa dn get the K3 .21 but thats about as close as I will ever come to owning one, lol.

Seems like your in love with your K3, damn happy for ya.

Dude, you'll get one someday. I'm sure the Storm is a good buggy, and is probably a step up from the Lightning. You'll have fun with it. I did have to sell a Savage and the Lightning to get the K.

I just wanted to post about how it drives and some of the characteristics of it. most other posts I've read only say "it drives nice", "handles good", or "it flys good". I'd like to see more people posting about the good points and bad points of the different vehicles (not just buggies). Kind of like reviews, to give other folks a better understanding of the differences.

Yeah hearing about all these K3s I think I need to sell my 1/8 buggy and get the K3 ASAP!

Originally posted by zoeybadm
Yeah hearing about all these K3s I think I need to sell my 1/8 buggy and get the K3 ASAP!
Plan on selling more than a single 1/8 scale. How much are K3s? Like 700 bucks plus engine, pipe, electronics and radio equipment, and tires?

Yeah, the kit is 700 or so, but the engine, pipe, and radio can be rogued from the old buggy, and tires aren't that much. I run a Hyper 21 8 port on teh K3 originally, and it did pretty good, though the RPM's weren't as high as the Sirio, but it's less than half the price too. In a word, upgrades. The K doesn't need them out of the box, so you can upgrade the other stuff later (engine, radio, pipe).

RC-Mushroom Co.
Flat 6, 11/F.,
Sun Cheong Ind. Bldg 2.,
Cheung Yee St.,
Cheung Sha Wan,
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Shipping's gotta be killer.

Shiping is either $75 (fastest), or $63 (economy) to my town.

And WL, Bite me!

Originally posted by Error401
And WL, Bite me!
I'm just playing with ya error, we all do know we arent cool enough to have a Kanai, but i might be one day. Then I'll give ya a run for ya money:classic:

They're in New Jersey. and has a tel #. Good price.

I drove my K3 for the first time Thursday night and must say I was impressed as well. Compared to my X5, it has a more agressive feel and has alot more steering going into turns. Definitely feels more planted than the X5 and seems to handle imperfections in the track a little better. Doesn't level out in air as well as the X5 but I can deal with that. Overall I'm happy I made the switch.

Originally posted by FlyinRazorback
I drove my K3 for the first time Thursday night and must say I was impressed as well. Compared to my X5, it has a more agressive feel and has alot more steering going into turns. Definitely feels more planted than the X5 and seems to handle imperfections in the track a little better. Doesn't level out in air as well as the X5 but I can deal with that. Overall I'm happy I made the switch.

Someone got a new buggy and didn't tell us about it hehehe. I still need to get used to my X5, track time has been so scarce for me I feel guilty. So out of practice and my friend up here that use to race with me moved to Redding so it deff takes some of the fun out of it for me (Eddy calls him Jordan lmao). Eddy and I try to hook up but with him growing his business an me and my car problems and my hrs I put into my career it has been ruff. Oh well I will hang in there I just need to buy a house and build a track in my own backyard that will sove the problem. too many toys not enough time, whats a guy to do?

Originally posted by HumboldtBlazer
too many toys not enough time, whats a guy to do?

Drink more coffee, wurkz fer me.

I have posted it here or there. Besides, I don't want to talk about it too much until I get some more time on it.

Originally posted by Waste Land
Crispy Critters, WTF kinda name is that? Srry just had to comment.

the names for these HS's these days. But onto the K3 subject, I really want one. But i already have a buggy. But you can still see where I'm coming from. Error: you have a Kanai Sirio engine in yours right? How is the tune on it? I've heard that there a pain in the ass to tune.. ahhhh , does anyone know where i can get a race engine for a cheap price? FT Or FS? But anyways.... If you can... tell us Error how much your K3 buggy ended up costing, Id like to know so i can get a job and save.

Laterz :arrr:

My Sirio K mill is, so far, the easiest to tune car engine I have owned. Sure, it take a couple minutes to get it tuned for the day, but once set it will hold a pretty consistant temp throughout the tank. Also, I have yet to have it simply sputter and die during a run (like the Hyper would do sometimes). As a matter of fact, the couple tanks I was running in my first post, the engine once it warmed up kept a consistant power output and was pouring out the smoke at around 250-260. One tank it sputtered and died, but when I checked the tank, it was bone dry. The only other engine that I have owned that was this reliable was a YS .91 AC aircraft engine.

A Kanai setup like mine will run about 1500 rtr. That's including radio, good servos, tires, kit, engine, pipe, and all the misc. things (paint, loctite, etc). I'm running a JR XS-3 radio with a Futaba 9303 servo on steering and a Futaba 9401 on throttle, with an XTM failsafe and a 5 cell hump. The car is bone stock, except for the Ergal milled braces. Sirio K mill piped with a THS.

Back