Just ran the first tank through my CRT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I am on my way to getting that OS .30 broken in on my CRT. I just ran the first tank through it. I am at BDC and waiting to run my second tank in. The .30 purrs like a kitten and was easy to start on the first try. I did have to keep the glow ignitor on the plug for the first tank just to keep it running. Is that normal, or do I need to make some adjustments? I am going to run a couple more tanks with it just idling on the bumpbox before I go and try to put it on the ground and start running it in circles. I can't believe that I went from kit to actually hearing it run. What a feeling of accomplishment! I just wanted to spread the good news! Take care.

Tom

Tom just make sure your temsp get up to 210ish otherwise your just wasing your time, and more or less hurting the engine.

My first tank never even got close. Is there something I should do to get the temps up? I thought you were not supposed to touch the needles until like the 4th or 5th tank?

Tom

Nah, go ahead and lean it a touch to get the temps. up. That's probably why you couldn't pull the ignitor as well. Temperature is the key, not the needle settings. You need to get those temp's. up so it breaks in!

Congrats on the mill, man! Post a video of that thing hauling when you get it going!

you can wrap the head with a sock or inertube or tin foil...something to keep the heat in

You can run it on the box, but goose the throttle a bit. Changing the needles is not a big deal, but you definaly want the temps up near 210. If not the metals don't expand and seat properly.

Cool guys I will give it a shot..... I am on my way to start the second tank right now.

MW... I will definitely have to take a vid of that thing. I want to run it now, but I know taking the time to break it in correctly will pay off. Talk to you guys soon.

Tom

Hey Hey your supposed to keep that between ourselves and beason!

Sorry, just got excited!

RP makes a great suggestion as well and it will allow you to get the temp's up while still keeping it rich. I've actually used the inner tube trick and it works great! Just got one of those cheapo bike tubes for a kids bike, cut a piece out and took a couple zip ties and it worked great!

So VB, when are you, Beason and Sweetdiesel coming over to watch "Brokeback Mountain" on the big screen with me? I think Zandor wants to tag along and said he'd bring the butter for the popcorm.

vbgagnon said:
Hey Hey your supposed to keep that between ourselves and beason!

Ohh... crap. Thats right. I forgot about that... :banana: I hope beason isn't to upset!

Tom

Monkey Wrench said:
Sorry, just got excited!

RP makes a great suggestion as well and it will allow you to get the temp's up while still keeping it rich. I've actually used the inner tube trick and it works great! Just got one of those cheapo bike tubes for a kids bike, cut a piece out and took a couple zip ties and it worked great!

So VB, when are you, Beason and Sweetdiesel coming over to watch "Brokeback Mountain" on the big screen with me? I think Zandor wants to tag along and said he'd bring the butter for the popcorm.

Don't forget to bring the chaps!

Ok... I just got the second tank through it. This time I turned the HSN about 10 quarter turns and the LSN 3 quarter turns clockwise. I got the temps up to about 156 but no higher. I was able to blip the throttle and it only bogs a bit but not much. I was getting less nitro spitting out of the pipe and lots more blue smoke. I just kept blipping the throttle about every 15 seconds or so just to keep it from loading up on me. Do I need to lean it out anymore, or just keep on doing it like I am? THanks guys.

Tom

get it on the ground and break it in like the traxxas video says...it's pretty generic and works for 99.999999% of the mills out there.....the temps might not get very high w/ no load on it....mill needs to work not sit and spin.....

Plaidfish said:
get it on the ground and break it in like the traxxas video says...it's pretty generic and works for 99.999999% of the mills out there.....the temps might not get very high w/ no load on it....mill needs to work not sit and spin.....

So you think that will work? I was wondering if that type of break in method would work or not. I have heard so many different ways to break in a mill, I still get confused. LOL I am done for today. Just 3 tanks through it so far. I will give it a shot again tomorrow. I just want to make sure I do not kill this mill before I have a chance to get it dirty! Thanks guys.

Tom

yeah you really need to get those temps up ...156* is just geting to a nice florida summer day temp ....you need to get to 200* minimum

This is what is so confusing to me about breaking in a motor. My lhs is telling me to run a few tanks while the truck sits on the box, and then run it slowly adding more throttle as you go. Then others say to just hit the ground running. If running your mill at under 200 is bad, then why do so many suggest it? Then folks like Traxxas tell you to hit the ground and go. Which way do you guys think works the best? Am I really hurting my mill by breaking it in the way I am now? Thanks

Tom

Tom besides your LHS who tells you to keep it under 200? The old method I guess would be to let it idle, but that has been proven to not be as effective. All the pro's break their engines in this way, 99% of our members break their engines in @200+ and get LLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG life out of them. I have not had a mill that crapped out before 5 gallons except for my first one (but thats another story in itself)

Its going to come down to who you trust the most and which way you feel comfortable doing things. We are merely telling you the best way that we have found to breakin.

I go with running it on the ground, the mill needs load to get temps up. Yes you NEED to get it to 200 on the next tank.

I do stand breakins but the prop is the load.....

and for the record, whoever is telling you to keep it under 200 and NOT put any load on it and idle it is a friggin dink.....they have NO clue what they are telling you......the whole point of doing the break in is to mate the piston to the sleeve...meaning let it sort of wear a path in teh sleeve....if the sleeve does not reach around 200 then it will not expand......then you are slammiong the piston head into the taper in the sleeve.......now you get to load...idling the engine for more than a tank is just pointless...I can see SOME good from doing one tank, like finding out if there were any burs of metal in there that got knocked off w/o having it hammering away.....outside of that..nada, the sleeve doesn't get up to temp and expand, the mill is just spinning for nothing....idling it on the box and blipping the throttle is just prolonging you're breakin......and you're needle settings will be all out of wack when you finally do put it on the ground......

LOAD
HEAT
COOL

that's what you need for a proper breakin....don't forget to pull the piston down whenever it shuts off....Not just for breakin either...forever

Thanks guys. I trust you guys for sure. The other folks that are telling me to stand break the mill in are a few guys at the local track. They were all racing this weekend since the weather was so nice.

I trust what you are all saying and I will do a load break in like you described. Now my other questions are what are the needle settings supposed to be like... ie. am I supposed to be able to blip the throttle and the thing not cut off or should I just let it cut off and then start it again. How many tanks should I have to go through before I can start giving it throttle? If it does cut off should I leave it cool for a period of time? Also how long between tanks should I let the mill cool? I am looking for temps above 200, how much above 200 am I looking? Also how many tanks of break in to you guys recomend? I am going to do it the way you guys say to... I just want to get it right. Thanks guys.

Tom

General rule of thumb, you want your temps to be right around 220*, you can blip the thottle go up to 1/3 throttle, but not for long. Needle settings should be whereever they have to be to get the temps.

Back