Just ordered my first airplane!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
While at my sons football practice I was talking to another dad that I had gone to school with, turns out he fly's planes and has been for many years. He and another one of our friends found a place just outside of town to fly the bigger planes but I'm not ready for those yet.

I just ordered a Parkzone ultra micro BNF T-28 Trojan, a couple of extra batteries, charger lead, and a Dx5e to get things going. I know the Dx5 is an older model with less features but it will have to do because I'm at my budget on this purchase.....My wife is not excited about me learning to fly things, it didn't work out to well with the heli's LOL.

My buddies fly larger scale electric war birds with retractable landing gear, once I get comfortable with the controls that's the next step for me.

Wish me luck!!!

Good luck. Nice choice. I have the same, but FSM.
I'm going simulator route now, my balls out method didn't work too well. Its definitely not like starting out with a MT or buggy and learn as you go.

I have the same plane. It's a tough little bird especially if it can withstand my "hamz" handed handling.....

I put in some time on a sim but now it's time for the real deal! Hamza I'm glad to hear it's tough because I'm not good at landing lol

Pics or it didnt happen...

"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one" -Alaskan Bush Pilot saying.

"A carrier landing is a controlled crash." -Any Naval Aviator.

I usually cut the the throttle about a foot off of the deck and glide in to a landing in the grass.

Congrats SMaxxin! They're cool little planes, but won't stand much wind. The large T-28 or the Wildcat will be my first plane, since I've been flying hopped up cubs a lot lately, I think I'm ready for an aileron bird.

I attempted first flight today, this plane is TOUGH!!!! I hit trees, house, shed, nose dives into the ground it has a few creases here and there and tape added to the nose but it's still going! After several nose dives the battery flew out a few times eventually breaking the plug off of it...Never even had a chance to drain it once LOL. Also during a hand launch I dropped the radio and cracked the antenna, I'm off to a rough start!

I'm starting to think I was not meant to control anything in the air!

When it was new

DPlane.gif

Last edited:
The small planes are effected by even smalls winds and stall while preforming a small climb. Or at least the one I had, did.

The crashes are taking a toll on the little guy, tape is building up and the nose is getting smashed pretty good.

^^LMAO Yes, that is correct sir.

Yeah, I had a UM Sukhoi, but any wind at all and it was a real handfull. As Rolex said, no wind at all is what you need, and a BIG wide open space when you're learning.

A school athletic field is great as long as no kids are around. Lots of good open space as well as a track to practice takeoffs and landings.

There was no wind when I was attempting to fly and I have plenty of room for it, I just suck at flying! Flying on a sim is nothing like the real thing! I can take off no problem, get leveled off at a nice cruising speed but when I try to turn everything goes bad! At one point I took off and before it was time to turn around I made a descent landing. Tomorrow I have to tape up a few things and replace the battery lead then I'll try again.

Seriously what's the secret to turning around? I tried using just the ruder and in mid turn it goes nose down, I tried with ruder and ailerons it went nose down even faster! I tried with and without the mixing switch more throttle less throttle what is going wrong?

Last edited:
New battery lead solder in, nose smoothed out some and fresh tape, shes reardy to go again!

bangedup.gif

On an aileron plane you'll need to initiate your turns by banking into the turn with ailerons, then use elevator to pull the plane through the turn, and aileron again to level the wings back out.

I gave it another try this morning, went good for a while then out of nowhere it turned into the ground. I found the tail rudder damaged and would only turn one way. That nose dive might have finished it.

Back