Just ordered a proboat sonicwake 36"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBill 6000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm totally stoked . Just ordered a proboat sonicwake 36". Should be here the 7th- 9th. Any heads up from owners is appreciated.

Awesome boat, looks like fun. I want a large scale gas boat myself.

I'm looking real hard at getting a 5th scale 2 stroke off roader. Rovan has a 45cc mt that looks impressive. Reviews are on the fence for redcats 32cc. Only $689 seams to good to be true

Hi guys I'm totally stoked . Just ordered a proboat sonicwake 36". Should be here the 7th- 9th. Any heads up from owners is appreciated.
Got the sonicwake. The boat rocks on 2- 2s lipo. Ordered a couple 3s lipos, can't wait to see how it does on 6s. Very fasy on 4s so should get close to 60mph. Fingers crossed

I have 2 sonicwake boats and run on 4S and 6S .... only issue I had was snapping a flex shaft......

I had never had a problem with shaft on 4S, but my first run on 6S snapped a shaft (it was cleaned and grease before the run). I lost the prop, the shaft failed near were it joined the solid part.
Turns out the issue was not leaving enough space between the rear of the prop strut and propeller drive dog. Apparently the flex shaft will shorten up under load, and if there is not enough spacing to allow that, the shaft will fail.
I now leave a 3 to 4 mm space and have never had a problem. I run the boat hard on 6S - fast acceleration and sometimes into reverse - and have not had a shaft fail.

Each day, after running, you must remove the flex shaft, clean it, lube and re-install - make sure that 3-4mm space is left.

I had to wait a few weeks for a new flex shaft and prop. I would recommend buying a couple of each as spares. Offshore Electrics sells upgraded props and shafts.

And have a way to retrieve the boat if the shaft fails ..... swimming for it is very dangerous. And I run mine further than I could ever cast a fishing hook.

Cool i watched several vids on propshaft maintenance and installation and do leave at least 2mm gap for flex room. On 4s I'm only getting about 3 passes and limp mode kicks in. I just got some 3s lipos delivered this afternoon. Going to try out 6s tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Plan on getting a flex shaft and spare prop soon. Mine is a v1. I also plan to up to a dual water rudder to help with cooling though the motor and esc are nice and cool when it kills batteries so fast.

mine are V1's with dual intake rudders from offshore Electrics. I go through batteries quick - we will take 12 - 3S batteries and 16 - 4S batteries for an afternoon of running. I would leave more than 2mm flex for 6S - 3-4mm works for me. I think I had 2mm (factory set-up) when it snapped.

Ok i was hoping 4s batteries going down so fast wasn't an issue with the boat. Watched vids on 6s that were getting like 8-10 minutes. 4s I'm lucky if i get 2 or 3 minutes. Is that normal? And what mah are you using. Mine are all 5200.

i will get 3 or 4 mins on 5200 4S - it is all full throttle with boats. 6S 5200 is about same run time, just more speed. They must be running 2 - 6S in parallel to get 10 minutes.

Thanks that puts me at ease. Was beginning to think something was wrong lol I'll be sure to greese and give a bit more gap for flex sgaft

Got the sonicwake. The boat rocks on 2- 2s lipo. Ordered a couple 3s lipos, can't wait to see how it does on 6s. Very fasy on 4s so should get close to 60mph. Fingers crossed
The boat is absolutely insane on 6s. Took a big tumble n the rudder shearaway bolt let go n ended my day. Got a 5 pack of them on order. Definitely getting a bunch more 3s batteries to run it 6s. Way toooo much fun lol