Just Bought A Traxxas Nitro Rustler w/ TSM

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narzick

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys been wanting to get into Nitro RC almost my whole life and I finally bit the bullet and did it!

I had some questions though. After doing a lot of reading and research I saw that people were saying the Traxxas fuel was too oily and not to run it. It seemed that Byron fuel was the top recommended. I went to order a few quarts and saw that they have different oil percentages for the 20% fuel. What's the best oil % for the trx 2.5?

Also how do you guys generally like the Traxxas Nitro Rustler with the TSM?

Go with 20% and an all round plug like the OS #8, byrons is also highly recommended from what I've heard (Never bought myself to pay the £30 ($39 (stupid brexit)) a gallon it is here in the UK. And you should be set- from what I've heard that blue traxxas stuff is meant to be pretty oily and turns to gunk quite easily when left.

Go with 20% and an all round plug like the OS #8, byrons is also highly recommended from what I've heard (Never bought myself to pay the £30 ($39 (stupid brexit)) a gallon it is here in the UK. And you should be set- from what I've heard that blue traxxas stuff is meant to be pretty oily and turns to gunk quite easily when left.
I'll look into getting the plug, but for the Byron 20% nitro they have 12% oil and 18% oil, which is the best oil content?

I use Byrons 20% with 12% oil in all my Nitro's. No problems at all. My Rusty doesn't have TSM but is crazy fast. Welcome to the dark side

I use Byrons 20% with 12% oil in all my Nitro's. No problems at all. My Rusty doesn't have TSM but is crazy fast. Welcome to the dark side
I can see me spending a boatload of money on this hobby already. Thanks both of you for the advice I'll order the 20%/12% and the OS #8 glow!

Also I'm glad you dig the rustler. Trying to find anything information-wise is so outdated for just about every nitro car/truck its impossible to co firm it was a good purchase hahah

Decided to get into it because a place called R/C Kinetics opened up a 15000 sq. Ft. Indoor/outdoor facility and I've always wanted one. What a better time than now?

Thanks guys!

The traxxas fuel will Def gunk up on you if you let it sit. I have used it but have always been good about running the tank clean etc. I have a car that I picked up used. The prior owner let the blue thunder sit in it... EVERYTHING is blue goo'd. It even locked up the carb. I haven't used byrons but hear good things about it. Congrats on your purchase! I have a Jato and a Revo. I am very happy with them both. I'm sure you'll love the Rustler!
That track sounds killer! I wish we had something like that around here! Only indoor electric here. Good luck!

The traxxas fuel will Def gunk up on you if you let it sit. I have used it but have always been good about running the tank clean etc. I have a car that I picked up used. The prior owner let the blue thunder sit in it... EVERYTHING is blue goo'd. It even locked up the carb. I haven't used byrons but hear good things about it. Congrats on your purchase! I have a Jato and a Revo. I am very happy with them both. I'm sure you'll love the Rustler!
That track sounds killer! I wish we had something like that around here! Only indoor electric here. Good luck!

Thanks man! I'm pretty anal about keeping my stuff clean. I'll probably run the tank clean every time anyways, and if not clean it out!

Better safe than sorry. I know I have had to put off running my cars, kind of unplanned and have been thankful that I ran the tank down, did the after run etc... Things happen. Way easier to take a few mins now than to take hours later for sure!

Better safe than sorry. I know I have had to put off running my cars, kind of unplanned and have been thankful that I ran the tank down, did the after run etc... Things happen. Way easier to take a few mins now than to take hours later for sure!
Yeah exactly! Thanks for the tips!

I can see me spending a boatload of money on this hobby already. Thanks both of you for the advice I'll order the 20%/12% and the OS #8 glow!

Also I'm glad you dig the rustler. Trying to find anything information-wise is so outdated for just about every nitro car/truck its impossible to co firm it was a good purchase hahah

Decided to get into it because a place called R/C Kinetics opened up a 15000 sq. Ft. Indoor/outdoor facility and I've always wanted one. What a better time than now?

Thanks guys!
Once you get a bit more experienced with tuning, you can start looking into different different temps of glow plugs, so that you can run in the winter and really hot days in summer- but for me and many other people. a nice all rounder like the 0S#8 is perfect, since in the UK it's never stupidly hot or stupidly cold.

Hey guys, quick update. Today I broke in my car when I came in the mail, tuned it, and it ran great. As I was putting it away I was going to put the new glow plug, OS#8, just to find out that the head on it is too big for the glow plug line. The metal coil at the end of the glow plug line is too tightly wound to fit it over the head of that glow plug. I was wondering if there is any fix for that since I bought 4 of those glow plugs?

Thank you

Hey guys, quick update. Today I broke in my car when I came in the mail, tuned it, and it ran great. As I was putting it away I was going to put the new glow plug, OS#8, just to find out that the head on it is too big for the glow plug line. The metal coil at the end of the glow plug line is too tightly wound to fit it over the head of that glow plug. I was wondering if there is any fix for that since I bought 4 of those glow plugs?

Thank you
What do you mean by glow plug line?

Wow! I think I mentioned that in the first post! Lmao!

Back